Big 12 in deep discussions to add up to six Pac-12 teams after USC, UCLA defections to Big Ten

Harry

The Big 12 is involved in deep discussions to add multiple Pac-12 programs as a way to shore up its membership in the wake of the USC and UCLA defection to the Big Ten, sources tell CBS Sports. At least four teams are being considered with the potential for the Big 12 to add more as realignment continues to shake out.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah were mentioned specifically as the teams being targeted by the Big 12, sources tell CBS Sports. There is also consideration of adding Oregon and Washington to make the Big 12 an 18-team league, the largest in the FBS.

A merger of the Big 12 and Pac-12, in some form, is also a possibility.

"Everything is on the table," said one Big 12 source.

There is "no question" the Big 12 has to be aggressive in expansion, another conference source said.

Despite the Big 12's attempts, the Pac-12 released a statement Monday saying it would immediately begin negotiations on its next TV contract, intending to go forward with at least its 10 remaining members. There is a possibility more could be added to the mix, according to a Pac-12 source. The Pac-12's current deal expires in 2024

read more: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-in-deep-discussions-to-add-up-to-six-pac-12-teams-after-usc-ucla-defections-to-big-ten/

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The question AZ, AZ State, Utah, and Colorado have to ask is it worth waiting because you know if Oregon, Washington, even Stanford or Cal get a call from the Big10 they will not worry about you one bit at all. Do you risk waiting for what could be a MWC merger?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There have been rumors, not confirmed, that Fox has told the Pac12 they will not be bidding on the new TV rights. 

Huge yikes if true. The Pac's only play right now is to assure teams their payouts will not go down/won't be much less than being in the Big12. 

• Upvote 1

Seems hard to believe the SEC is not talking to some schools from the ACC

Do they wait for the Big10 to finish? If the ACC tries to put on a two tiered revenue structure would that possibly have some of the second level schools willing to talk to the Big12?

Lastly if your the Big10 do you give ND a deadline or are they willing to wait?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Do they wait for the Big10 to finish? If the ACC tries to put on a two tiered revenue structure would that possibly have some of the second level schools willing to talk to the Big12?

If ND goes to the B1G then I believe the SEC will counter with 3-4 more from the ACC.    ESPN and Fox are putting media-valuation price tags on all these potential programs and it's a shopping spree, up to a tipping point of no further conference value by adding. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Anything happening on the eastern front is waiting on NDs situation first. ND is not in a super hurry and is probably really hard trying to find out all the legal ramifications of that paper they signed with the ACC should they decide to join a conference (which would obviously not be the ACC)

Edited by outoftown

17 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Whatever happens, I don’t think it will affect us or the AAC. If anything the MWC might widen the gap as the best G5 conference by picking up a few PAC-12 scraps. 

I would expect any Pac-12 leftovers (assuming the conference dies) to prefer the American over the MWC for the same reasons that the Pac-12 is dying in the first place. 

That's assuming they couldn't figure out some deal to join the Big XII or the ACC.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

I would expect any Pac-12 leftovers (assuming the conference dies) to prefer the American over the MWC for the same reasons that the Pac-12 is dying in the first place. 

That's assuming they couldn't figure out some deal to join the Big XII or the ACC.

The Big-10 is an objectively better conference than the Pac-12 in football, which is the only thing that really matters if we're honest. The best we can say when comparing the new AAC and MWC is they're maybe even, but I think most would still give the MWC a nod over the new AAC, given they have perennially ranked Boise State and SDSU. AAC doesn't have anyone like that in football anymore. The Pac-12 isn't just lagging the Big 10 in money because of time zones, they also have quality of football issues in recent years. If the MWC continues to outpace the AAC in football quality, they will surpass us in money (if they don't already, can't remember). The CUSA should have proved for most people that geography isn't even close to the top priority when it comes to TV deals.

17 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

The Big-10 is an objectively better conference than the Pac-12 in football, which is the only thing that really matters if we're honest. The best we can say when comparing the new AAC and MWC is they're maybe even, but I think most would still give the MWC a nod over the new AAC, given they have perennially ranked Boise State and SDSU. AAC doesn't have anyone like that in football anymore. The Pac-12 isn't just lagging the Big 10 in money because of time zones, they also have quality of football issues in recent years. If the MWC continues to outpace the AAC in football quality, they will surpass us in money (if they don't already, can't remember). The CUSA should have proved for most people that geography isn't even close to the top priority when it comes to TV deals.

But none of that says exposure in Central and Eastern time zones.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

The C-USA vs sunbelt development should have taught people, that at this level geography and identity are actually really valuable things for conferences. The belt should not have been within shouting distance by now considering the finances and draws of its programs when NT and the others left it, yet it built an identity while C-USA didn't have one and by the end was able to pick of the C-USA schools it wanted (and that fit its identity) rather than the other way around.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, outoftown said:

The C-USA vs sunbelt development should have taught people, that at this level geography and identity are actually really valuable things for conferences. The belt should not have been within shouting distance by now considering the finances and draws of its programs when NT and the others left it, yet it built an identity while C-USA didn't have one and by the end was able to pick of the C-USA schools it wanted (and that fit its identity) rather than the other way around.

With the financial constraints you would hope the G5's would pull their heads out of their backsides and work together to save money. The non revenue sports could really benefit for this.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

I re-read this a few times but still don’t get it. You are proving my point I think. CUSA is the league that emphasized geography and the Belt had better programs, but small town locations. The Belt came out on top. Why is geography really valuable if what you said after proves the opposite? If by identity you mean winning football programs, then yes that’s important. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I re-read this a few times but still don’t get it. You are proving my point I think. CUSA is the league that emphasized geography and the Belt had better programs, but small town locations. The Belt came out on top. Why is geography really valuable if what you said after proves the opposite? If by identity you mean winning football programs, then yes that’s important. 

I think the AAC realized that the future for G5 schools is placing yourself in the best locations for the time-slot fillers the networks will always need to keep their programing going.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think the AAC realized that the future for G5 schools is placing yourself in the best locations for the time-slot fillers the networks will always need to keep their programing going.

I think the AAC was probably wrong. Look, I wish geography, time zone, market size, etc. was more important than it is (all that is good for North Texas), but objectively I don’t think it is. I’m happy we are there because it damn sure beats the alternative, but I wouldn’t be convinced they made the right moves as a legacy AAC member either. I guess we’ll have to see. 

• Upvote 3