DRC: UNT lands at No. 177 among DI schools in annual Learfield Directors' Cup standings

Brett Vito

30 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

9th out of 14 CUSA schools doesn't really excite me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Why are we in the bottom half of the conference?

Is it lack of some sports that other schools have?

No it's not just that many Athletic Departments that don't even play D1 Football are far ahead of us.  We have to stop giving leadership here credit for actually trying because many of their predecessors didn't.  I know my can do attitude only goes so far at work when we aren't getting the results we want.   

And this just in: Not only are only just trying hard (at best) it seems we are not trying smart. We have the opportunity to be the first Division 1 NCAA Gymnastics program in the entire state.  Not only that but we probably have leadership experience locally that either currently at TWU's D2 program or has in the past that would jump at the opportunity to start up a D1 program.  And to those wanting North Texas to jump into the field of 22 other D1 baseball programs in the state think about this; the easiest way to balance our the title 9 scholarship requirements would be a gymnastics program offsetting those new baseball scholarships.  I haven't heard a single whisper of UNT starting D1 Gymnastics program.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

Would be nice if someone could dig up some info on what Marshall, SoMiss and ODU paid-out in the settlement and what happens to the money instead of spending time on some made up metric that no one has heard of or cares about.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Wonder why the conference does not keep these stats on a league basis?  Much more meaningful data than a comparison with every program in the country.   

It costs nothing and would provide a basis for comparing the conference teams overall programs.  Men, women, and combined could be calculated.   This used to be a standard stat in most conferences.  Although it is now muddled up with both the season standings and tournaments in most sports being components.  .

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

9th out of 14 CUSA schools doesn't really excite me. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. Why are we in the bottom half of the conference?

Is it lack of some sports that other schools have?

You be the judge, the highest ranked CUSA school was MTSU who received points for football, men’s indoor track, women’s indoor track, men’s tennis, and women’s outdoor track. We got points for football, women’s golf, and softball.

Being ranked in anything other than football does not matter in the scoring and conference championships also do not matter. You earn points based on how you finish in the NCAA championships in everything but football. Sports with individuals competing for championships such as track, golf, and swimming can allow you to really rack up the points.

For instance, in the fall standings, Georgia got 100 points for winning the college football national championship leaving them tied for 64th in the fall standings.  NC State got 100 points because Laurie Henes won the NCAA women’s cross country championship but they also got 29 points for someone coming in 32nd in men’s cross country, plus 55 points for football (for finishing 19th in the coaches poll), and 50 more points for women’s soccer making it to the 2nd round (round of 32) in the NCAA women’s soccer tourney for a total of 234 points and 16th place in the fall standings.

Would you say the AD at Georgia or NC State is in higher demand? The learfield cup is a joke when it comes to measuring the impact of the sports that actually move the public perception needle. Nobody here (including me) knew the name Laurie Henes or that she won the women’s cross country championship this year but I bet nearly everyone on this board has heard of Kirby Smart and Stetson Bennett. Regardless of the chasm in public recognition, they count the same to learfield.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

No it's not just that many Athletic Departments that don't even play D1 Football are far ahead of us.  We have to stop giving leadership here credit for actually trying because many of their predecessors didn't.  I know my can do attitude only goes so far at work when we aren't getting the results we want.   

And this just in: Not only are only just trying hard (at best) it seems we are not trying smart. We have the opportunity to be the first Division 1 NCAA Gymnastics program in the entire state.  Not only that but we probably have leadership experience locally that either currently at TWU's D2 program or has in the past that would jump at the opportunity to start up a D1 program.  And to those wanting North Texas to jump into the field of 22 other D1 baseball programs in the state think about this; the easiest way to balance our the title 9 scholarship requirements would be a gymnastics program offsetting those new baseball scholarships.  I haven't heard a single whisper of UNT starting D1 Gymnastics program.

I hope that is because of a new beach volleyball program (love me some beach volleyball). But I can see how gymnastics would create more schollies, i.e. making it easier to handle the title 9 issue

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

18 hours ago, keith said:

Would be nice if someone could dig up some info on what Marshall, SoMiss and ODU paid-out in the settlement and what happens to the money instead of spending time on some made up metric that no one has heard of or cares about.

Most articles from May,2022 state the settlement to be 1.75 million, but cusa sought a court order to keep the records from the public.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

I hope that is because of a new beach volleyball program (love me some beach volleyball). But I can see how gymnastics would create more schollies, i.e. making it easier to handle the title 9 issue

Pro beach volleyball and college beach volleyball have very different uniforms.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Pro beach volleyball and college beach volleyball have very different uniforms.

While I enjoy those uniforms as much as the next man, it is not because of that. i play a lot of beach (and indoor) volleyball myself (I am a coach on my relaxed team where almost everybody used to be a club player). So its a sport where I usually know exactly what happens and that I find very watchable Gymnastics i am like: why did that girl get a better score than the other? That sport makes no sense to me.

Edited by outoftown

3 hours ago, outoftown said:

While I enjoy those uniforms as much as the next man, it is not because of that. i play a lot of beach (and indoor) volleyball myself (I am a coach on my relaxed team where almost everybody used to be a club player). So its a sport where I usually know exactly what happens and that I find very watchable

I got you. Now I understand. Since you are a volleyball man, what in the world is the footvolley and why is it a thing?

8 hours ago, untphd said:

Most articles from May,2022 state the settlement to be 1.75 million, but cusa sought a court order to keep the records from the public.

Which 1.75 is so so cheap compared to the AAC settlement of leaving (Cinci, UH, UCF))

This is what I gathered from The Athletic:

Houston, Cincinnati and UCF will each pay the AAC an $18 Million buyout to leave. The $18-million buyouts for leaving early will be paid over 14 years. If the schools did not leave early, the original buyout would have cost each institution $10 million (four years to pay). The original $10 million exit fee will be paid prior to 2025, per the payment schedule in the AAC's bylaws. The remaining $8 million owed will be paid over a 12-year period starting in 2025.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I got you. Now I understand. Since you are a volleyball man, what in the world is the footvolley and why is it a thing?

Its just soccer players who want a reason to be in the sand 😉 Unless you mean the thai sport. Then those guys are awesome.

Edited by outoftown
  • Haha 1