USC and UCLA to the Big 10

UNT18Grad

4 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Kliavkof got done as dirty by B1G alliance partner as bowlsby by SEC. Only I feel he should have been much more able to see it coming seeing as there had been some rumors the LA schools were deeply unhappy for a while. Also, I wonder if he is finally starting to see why the originally proposed 12 team playoff model was good. No way his new look pac 12 is going to get an autobid. But now everybody who is not B1G or SEC may get a lot less. There is some irony in how his arrogant hard stance completely overplaying the Pac12s hand will now F him. He cost the bottom 8 conferences -including 10 of his 12 schools- a much better access to the playoffs, and the chance to do that is likely never coming back.

Imagine if the SEC and the B1G breakoff and become a true NFL farm system with their own rules and own playoff system. Two 16 team conferences for a total of 32 teams? Sounds awfully familiar.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Imagine if the SEC and the B1G breakoff and become a true NFL farm system with their own rules and own playoff system.

That is obviously looking more and more likely, if not outright, then in ipso facto.

unlikely those two will accept a playoff now that guarantees 4 spots to other conferences as the original SEC supported proposal did. Had the new playoff system been locked in, that would have made it much less attractive to poach schools for the B1G, seing as it would have reduced the existing members chances of making said playoff. Also B1G/SEC would have to pay a lot of money to get out of a long term agreement. Now it will run out essentially same time as schools move, no financial downside of breaking an agreement, only upside. Kliavkof really is quite at fault for this outcom and has done much for it to happen in his short time. Who would have thought that he could be worse than his predecessor

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Imagine if the SEC and the B1G breakoff and become a true NFL farm system with their own rules and own playoff system. Two 16 team conferences for a total of 32 teams? Sounds awfully familiar.

I wonder what the odds are that Vanderbilt and Mississippi State find themselves out on their rear in a few years...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenFlag said:

I'm talking athletes, not mathletes. Both are fine schools. My point is NOT NEAR ENOUGH PEOPLE give a crap about football there, not even themselves. It is truly shocking to see the apathy. Take a look at attendance each game for each school. Their attendance counters and the SMU attendance counter are cousins by the way. As far as butts in seats my guess is that both Cal and Stanford were under 25K for the year.

UCLA's is just as bad, they have a long history of student apathy. They do the same and count season ticket holders, the actual people in the stands looks way less. 

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Football-Analysis-of-UCLA-Footballs-Attendance-Under-Chip-Kelly-178886080/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

Kliavkof got done as dirty by B1G alliance partner as bowlsby by SEC. Only I feel he should have been much more able to see it coming seeing as there had been some rumors the LA schools were deeply unhappy for a while. Also, I wonder if he is finally starting to see why the originally proposed 12 team playoff model was good. No way his new look pac 12 is going to get an autobid. But now everybody who is not B1G or SEC may get a lot less. There is some irony in how his arrogant hard stance completely overplaying the Pac12s hand will now F him. He cost the bottom 8 conferences -including 10 of his 12 schools- a much better access to the playoffs, and the chance to do that is likely never coming back.

Which I do find odd. Everyone knows that the Pac and the B1G are basically tied at the hip, so to have one stab the other in the back came out of nowhere. If for some reason they announced that this was more of a merger with the majority of Pac teams joining, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe UCLA and USC are just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

UCLA's is just as bad, they have a long history of student apathy. They do the same and count season ticket holders, the actual people in the stands looks way less. 

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/UCLA-Football-Analysis-of-UCLA-Footballs-Attendance-Under-Chip-Kelly-178886080/

UCLA is not about football, even though it does have name recognition. It combines another area school for the other sports when they travel west.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

Which I do find odd. Everyone knows that the Pac and the B1G are basically tied at the hip, so to have one stab the other in the back came out of nowhere. If for some reason they announced that this was more of a merger with the majority of Pac teams joining, I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe UCLA and USC are just the tip of the iceberg. 

If this is the case, then I would guess the Bid12 and ACC would follow a similiar path

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

UCLA is not about football, even though it does have name recognition. It combines another area school for the other sports when they travel west.

Wife is a duel UNT/UCLA alum, (with UNT being the school we root for of course, we just watch UCLA to see how they do) we watched most of their basketball games last year and we were surprised at the low turn out for what is considered their main sport. This is UCLA ranked #7 vs #3 Arizona

1404b680-ee12-4fb0-a6a4-d7b328687e37.siz

If you look for highlights of this game the crowd is pretty dull for two top teams playing each other. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I think some of you, not all of you, need to step forward and admit you were very wrong about wanting UNT to join the Mountain West.  When USC and UCLA leave the Pac 12 will have to find replacements from the Mountain West which will further water down that conference.  Also AAC was very smart to pick off all the viable Texas teams and leave the Mountain West without any of the good ones.  I don't see any of the Big 12 teams being interested in a PAC 12 without USC or UCLA>

I wouldn’t take a victory lap just yet. No one knows how this is going to shape things. But I still say we should have gone to the MWC. If Memphis and SMU bolt for the new BIG 12 I’m going to be very disappointed. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, meanrob said:

This isn’t realignment, this is two conferences consolidating assets. This sounds dumb but there’s a possibility schools get dumped out of the BiG/SEC at some point. 

I would love to see the Rutgers and the Vanderbilts of the world get taken down a peg. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Having Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado go to the BIG12 makes sense geographically and culturally. The PAC12 is screwed because no schools in their footprint can match up academically with Stanford and Cal so they either swallow their pride and let in a San Diego State, Fresno State, or Boise State or they have to accept maybe a complete merger with another conference?  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Having Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado go to the BIG12 makes sense geographically and culturally. The PAC12 is screwed because no schools in their footprint can match up academically with Stanford and Cal so they either swallow their pride and let in a San Diego State, Fresno State, or Boise State or they have to accept maybe a complete merger with another conference?  

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that schools like Stanford and CAL are going to share a conference with SDSU and Fresno State.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I figured somehow or another SMU and Memphis would get away from us before long. This could do it for them.

A lot more dominoes would have to fall but things are gonna move fast.

I was told when the AAC expanded with six it was in anticipation of further defections in the near future.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I figured somehow or another SMU and Memphis would get away from us before long. This could do it for them.

Where are they going to go? It’s starting to look like the Big 10 and SEC are going to expand to 20. The PAC 12 is cooked and I think the ACC will face a similar fate. If the Big 12 is smart they’ll pick up the leftovers and have a conference of 20 schools that’s strong enough to get a seat (albeit a small one) at the table with the SEC and Big 10. 
Anyone currently not a P5 or about to be isn’t moving up. Schools like SMU and Memphis are stuck. At this point their best bet is to stay in the American and help them become the 4th best conference. Who knows, maybe our new P2 or P3 overlords will throw us peasants a bone and allow our conference champion to compete in their new expanded tournament. 

• Upvote 1