Phil Bennett on Smoaky podcast

jtm0097

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Welcome back"

PlummMeanGreen was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 20 points.

Full disclosure: Honestly?  All this NIL business & how it was (IMHO) carelessly launched with so few ground rules just had me as low as a snake crawling thru a wagon wheel rut.  It then had me thinking…”you know, after 10 years of being a young UH fan & a 50 year North Texas fan this is where it all ends for this 60 year fan of intercollegiate amateur athletics? 

Then——I hear UNT Defensive Coordinator Phil Bennett on this Waco-based radio show today. 
Coach B covered the KD portal thing with his usual enthusiastic style & with some humor mixed in, too. Then this brief KD portal thing which made me nauseous but never blaming our All American one iota for it because (in my opinion)  he was not to blame 

And now with all of us who bleed green with arms open wide saying: “Welcome home, stud!  It’s Mean Green  butt-kickin’ time, KD & team!”  I love how this story is playing out albeit the NCAA Rules Committee has some serious NIL rules tweaking to do & that’s for sure. 

Hearing from Phil Bennett on the Waco radio show & how the whole KD thing transpired & how Coach Seth Littrell is out there trying to protect UNT’s student athletes just has me feeling a new hope for all concerned & that’s just about all of us who honestly give a damn. 
F5746DCC-96F5-4E51-B372-65FED759676B.jpeg.3b13c1372ed574ee057e8984b1fa9b29.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Oh Boy! 1

7 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Full disclosure: Honestly?  All this NIL business & how it was (IMHO) carelessly launched with so few ground rules just had me as low as a snake crawling thru a wagon wheel rut.  It then had me thinking…”you know, after 10 years of being a young UH fan & a 50 year North Texas fan this is where it all ends for this 60 year fan of intercollegiate amateur athletic?
Then——I hear UNT Defensive Coordinator Phil Bennett on this Waco-based radio show today. 
Coach B covered the KD portal thing with his usual enthusiastic style & with some humor mixed in, too. Then this brief KD portal thing which made me nauseous but never blaming our All American one iota for it because (in my opinion)  he was not to blame 
And now with all of us who bleed green with arms open wide saying: “Welcome home, stud!  It’s Mean Green  butt-kickin’ time, KD & team!”  I love how this story is playing out albeit the NCAA Rules Committee has some serious NIL rules tweaking to do & that’s for sure. 
Hearing from Phil Bennett on the Waco radio show & how the whole KD thing transpired & how Coach Seth Littrell is out there trying to protect UNT’s student athletes just has me feeling a new hope for all concerned & that’s just about all of us who honestly give a damn. 
F5746DCC-96F5-4E51-B372-65FED759676B.jpeg.3b13c1372ed574ee057e8984b1fa9b29.jpeg

Good to see you back on here, it’s been a minute.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Sounds like Kiffin got the call from Seth but kept on, while Jimbo backed off.  Interesting.  Entirely believable that that snake down at ole Miss behaved that way.

Its got to be tough being a good player these days with all the BS tampering that goes on, but I don’t cut KD any slack whatsoever.  I wouldn’t trust a teammate who pulled that crap so late.  Stuff like that hurts team chemistry.  Bennett said all the right stuff, but there is no way he’s not doubting his buy-in.  

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

Sounds like Kiffin got the call from Seth but kept on, while Jimbo backed off.

How do you come to this? I’m of the the impression that 1) more than these two schools contacted KD, and 2) Jimbo and those SEC schools are all dirty. Kiffin just doesn’t care about playing the media to try and mask it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

How do you come to this? I’m of the the impression that 1) more than these two schools contacted KD, and 2) Jimbo and those SEC schools are all dirty. Kiffin just doesn’t care about playing the media to try and mask it.

Oh I’m totally jumping to conclusions based on what was publicly known.  We saw atm back off first, ole miss a little later.  Could be neither one backed off and timing was all down to visits.  Could be that these weren’t the schools Seth called…but Phil said Seth called a couple schools, we knew about 2 schools publicly and putting that together isn’t so much of a stretch is it?  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Bennett is a passionate coach. It's obvious. I want to believe him but he is only half of the puzzle. 

Why is it he's always on a Waco based podcast? Can't we do something here in Denton?

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Oh Texas absolutely contacted him, Bennett said as much in the interview. Plus Orangebloods was all in it.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Why is it he's always on a Waco based podcast? Can't we do something here in Denton?

Because he is still well-known and liked down there. Bennett isn’t a big enough name for the Dallas sports talk types these days because he is at little ol North Texas. I’m just glad he has an outlet to speak at all.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

David Smoak and Phil's brother Jerry bonded over the years when David had a radio show in East Texas. Jerry was a football coach at my alma mater Jefferson. Smoak moved to Waco during the early 2010s and had a show on ESPN Radio in Waco. This led to Phil being on the ESPN radio show weekly during the Baylor football season. David still has Phil on from time to time to discuss college FB.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Great interview.  Bennett is the real deal and represents us well.

My problem is why is Bennett the spokesman for this UNT team?  I don't see Jason Rollins speaking on behalf of the program for nUTSAck. because it is Coach Traylor that does that because HE'S THE FRIGGIN HEAD COACH!  So while Jeff Traylor is out kissing babies and shaking hands in SA, getting in the Top 25 and winning conference championships, we have possibly the quietest, most underachieving, least newsworthy, most overpaid head coach in the entire country.

• RV 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

21 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

My problem is why is Bennett the spokesman for this UNT team?

Bennett is beloved around Waco, among the Baylor sports circles.  It's not that he's any official spokesman for our team, it's just that they like to talk to him a lot, about what he's doing lately and CFB in general.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

He has.  He did a segment with Sanoe.  Smoaky called PB who was here in his office, I believe.  My understanding is that Smoak still does the Baylor radio and they are old friends.  Denton could sure use another radio station.  KNTU is now the only radio station in the county to my knowledge.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Good to have you back, JG.  Did you do some redesigning of the favorite teams map?

Hi Jack… Hope you are well. Actually, I stole that map off Twitter from a non—UNT fan. 
••• All this going on in the NCAA is giving many vertigo.  And now UCLA & USC? Methinks the Big 12 & AAC will not be near the same in 2 years. Lots of jockeying going on this very minute I’d say.

❇️🦅❇️…..GMG!

• Thanks 1