Things are looking up

JT Hammons

7 minutes ago, JT Hammons said:

I know a lot of you seem down about things but there are a lot of us out here really excited about this team and especially this coaching staff and all of the experience they bring to the table.  The new offensive line coach Randy Clement is considered one of the top line coaches in the nation.  He will bring a lot of discipline and toughness to the offense.

Mike Bloesch is a young and bright offensive coordinator and QB coach.  Ask around, and you will find he is highly respected as a coach and man. Phil Bennett is possibly one of the top defensive minds in the country right now.  Patrick Cobb is a rising star in the coaching ranks and his affiliation with UNT is a plus.

But the biggest piece to all this is of course Seth Littrell.  Do you understand that in just 6 seasons, Seth Littrell has taken UNT to 5 bowl games?  That is almost a 100% bowl record folks!  That has to give him the highest winning percentage in the history of the program.   Littrell inherited Mcarney's 1-11 team back in 2016 and immediately took that team to a bowl game.  POssibly one of the greatest turnarounds in UNT history.  He's broken many ceilings for UNT in his time here, beating an SEC team on the road, recruiting future Hall of Famer Mason Fine to become a 4-year starter and breaking all kinds of records.  He is loved by his players as evidenced just recently as KD Davis returned to play for him despite being wooed by UT and A&M and wheel barrels of cash.   Littrell has never broken any rules and has never spoken a bad word about UNT as many past coaches like McCarney, Dickey and others have.  Littrell was offered the job at a Big 12 school and opted to stay at UNT even though all of his closest advisors thought he was crazy not to take it.

People say his recruiting has gone down, but the fact is he has not received the support he needs from the AD to be more successful.  He has not received an extension that he deserves and other teams we recruit against know this and use it against us.   With that he still managed to recruit some very good talent including QB Gunnell who may be a starter from day 1.

I see some of the negative posts on here and my message to all of you is be careful what you wish for.  You have a very good coach that is loyal and would like to stay here for a very long time.  How about we give him 100% support this year and tell the rest of the world he's our guy.

I like your thinking

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, JT Hammons said:

I know a lot of you seem down about things but there are a lot of us out here really excited about this team and especially this coaching staff and all of the experience they bring to the table.  The new offensive line coach Randy Clement is considered one of the top line coaches in the nation.  He will bring a lot of discipline and toughness to the offense.

Mike Bloesch is a young and bright offensive coordinator and QB coach.  Ask around, and you will find he is highly respected as a coach and man. Phil Bennett is possibly one of the top defensive minds in the country right now.  Patrick Cobb is a rising star in the coaching ranks and his affiliation with UNT is a plus.

But the biggest piece to all this is of course Seth Littrell.  Do you understand that in just 6 seasons, Seth Littrell has taken UNT to 5 bowl games?  That is almost a 100% bowl record folks!  That has to give him the highest winning percentage in the history of the program.   Littrell inherited Mcarney's 1-11 team back in 2016 and immediately took that team to a bowl game.  POssibly one of the greatest turnarounds in UNT history.  He's broken many ceilings for UNT in his time here, beating an SEC team on the road, recruiting future Hall of Famer Mason Fine to become a 4-year starter and breaking all kinds of records.  He is loved by his players as evidenced just recently as KD Davis returned to play for him despite being wooed by UT and A&M and wheel barrels of cash.   Littrell has never broken any rules and has never spoken a bad word about UNT as many past coaches like McCarney, Dickey and others have.  Littrell was offered the job at a Big 12 school and opted to stay at UNT even though all of his closest advisors thought he was crazy not to take it.

People say his recruiting has gone down, but the fact is he has not received the support he needs from the AD to be more successful.  He has not received an extension that he deserves and other teams we recruit against know this and use it against us.   With that he still managed to recruit some very good talent including QB Gunnell who may be a starter from day 1.

I see some of the negative posts on here and my message to all of you is be careful what you wish for.  You have a very good coach that is loyal and would like to stay here for a very long time.  How about we give him 100% support this year and tell the rest of the world he's our guy.

I agree with all but two of the things you said. Nobody knows if Bloesch is a bright qb coach because to this point he has only been a line coach.

I also disagree that he (Littrell) should’ve been given an extension simply for recruiting purposes. Every coach in the state and the conference knows his tenure here is on thin ice due to his failure to get over the hump. An extension would’ve done little or nothing to change that perception. He should be grateful that Wren is not RV because RV would’ve fired him this season when he was sitting at 1-6. I’m glad Littrell is here and he is one of the best coaches we have ever had but he has to get his players to capitalize on their big game opportunities. I am excited for this season but if he wins or loses this season it’ll be due to his coaching and ability to adjust. I truly hope we break through this season so he can prove the haters all wrong.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I agree with all but two of the things you said. Nobody knows if Bloesch is a bright qb coach because to this point he has only been a line coach.

I also disagree that he should’ve been given an extension simply for recruiting purposes. Every coach in the state and the conference knows his tenure here is on thin ice due to his failure to get over the hump. An extension would’ve done little or nothing to change that perception. He should be grateful that Wren is not RV because RV would’ve fired him this season when he was sitting at 1-6. I’m glad Littrell is here and he is one of the best coaches we have ever had but he has to get his players to capitalize on their big game opportunities. I am excited for this season but if he wins or loses this season it’ll be due to his coaching and ability to adjust. I truly hope we break through this season so he can prove the haters all wrong.

Hayden Fry, Corkey Nelson, Odus Mitchell, Jerry  Moore and probably Rod Rust (pure coaching not recruiting)  and Todd Dodge (offensive mind) were all better coaches.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

I just havent seen any improvement from Seth.

Look at NT's other programs- all have shown improvement... except football. Yet football is the moneymaker. 

Seth is the 2nd highest paid coach in conference - he should coach like it. One good win in past 3 years- UTSA. 

Skip Holtz had garbage facilities and support yet he had 5 straight winning seasons, and 6 bowl wins. 

There's no innovation in the offense, no fire, no adjustments. 

2 mil shouldnt get me mediocrity 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Hayden Fry, Corkey Nelson, Odus Mitchell, Jerry  Moore and probably Rod Rust (pure coaching not recruiting)  and Todd Dodge (offensive mind) were all better coaches.

You lost me at Todd Dodge. The blowout loses we suffered on Saturdays under Dodge used to make me call in sick to work on Monday morning.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, eternalmtg said:

You lost me at Todd Dodge. The blowout loses we suffered on Saturdays under Dodge used to make me call in sick to work on Monday morning.

He qualified it by saying "offensive minded".

6 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

Yet football is the moneymaker. 

Time to shake it.

Drumming Live Performance GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

I would agree, I was only talking winning percentage though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, untphd said:

He is 37 and 38 overall. This is a statement!

I posted this in a different thread to put Littrell in context with some former coaches.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:30 PM, keith said:

And yet currently the 3rd best coach (won/lost % wise) with at least 5 years as HC in the history of North Texas Football in the "modern" era (1953 through 2021).  Only behind Hayden Fry and Otis Mitchell.  We've only had 6 coaches that have lasted more than 5 years in this same timeframe.  We do have coaches with better records, but you have to go back to the leather helmet days.

If Littrell can manage another 9-4 record this season, then he will move into a tie for 2nd with Mitchell who was HC for 14 years.

So many things go into a season's won-loss record (key injuries, scheduling, penalties or bad calls at the worst possible time, etc.) that it's almost pointless to compare across time.  We even have to throw in a pandemic in Littrell's case.  Has time run out on him or will he and the team find a grove and go on a winning streak?  No one knows.  It does seem that there are some that have seen enough and would like to see him go down in flames to force change or at least say, "I told you so."  I've felt that way in the past (twice), but only when it seemed like the coach turned against North Texas or had clearly lost the team.  I have not seen that in Littrell's case.   

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Name the big game Seth Littrell has won.   "Big Game" meaning a game with a championship or bowl title on the line, not a game against an SEC foe who would go on to finish 2-10 that year.  

I'll hang up, listen, and wait....

Beating Arkansas on the road is bigger than any bowl game we've played in. 

People put way too much importance on shitty bowl games. Sure, you want to win them, but they don't count for more than any other regular season game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1