These FBS Texas coaches enter 2022 on the Hot Seat

North Texas' Seth Littrell, Texas State'sJake Spavital and Rice's Mike Bloomgren enter 2022 on the college football coaching hot seat.

Three of the 12 FBS coaches in the state of Texas arguably face a make-or-break season at their respective universities. 

Seth Littrell, North Texas

Record: 37-38 (7th season)

Best case: It’ll take another bowl berth for North Texas to feel good about the direction of the program as it heads to the AAC following the season. A winning record likely guarantees a chance for Littrell to lead the Mean Green into their next athletic chapter. New additions offensively could elevate North Texas’ offense back to the Mason Fine era. 

Worst case: The back-to-back nine-win seasons feel like a lifetime ago for Littrell and North Texas. The road only gets tougher in the coming years with a move to the AAC happening next season. Losses on defense – specifically KD Davis and the Murphy twins – return the unit to the basement of Conference USA while the offensive additions don’t make instant impacts.

read more:

https://www.texasfootball.com/article/2022/06/23/three-fbs-college-football-coaches-enter-the-2022-season-on-the-hot-seat?ref=related_thumb

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I dont think you can wait until December to fire a head coach because the program would be to far behind in the recruiting and transfer market.  I think he has the first 6 games to make a case for his future. 

And then you wait for 6 or 7 games to hire a new coach?   There is absolutely no reason unless there are rule violations or discipline issues to fire a head coach mid-season.  

This would only make the job harder to fill and create a mess that would not easily be fixed. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

And then you wait for 6 or 7 games to hire a new coach?   There is absolutely no reason unless there are rule violations or discipline issues to fire a head coach mid-season.  

This would only make the job harder to fill and create a mess that would not easily be fixed. 

I didnt say fire him mid season... Simply, after game 6 the school should know if they want to bring him back for the following season, if not start looking for a replacement.  Most importantly, have a coach and staff in place for the following season when recruiting begins, and players will start looking to move as soon as their current season is over. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

I didnt say fire him mid season... Simply, after game 6 the school should know if they want to bring him back for the following season, if not start looking for a replacement.  Most importantly, have a coach and staff in place for the following season when recruiting begins, and players will start looking to move as soon as their current season is over. 

So you advocate making the decision to fire him, mid-season; no matter what the last six games look like.  

I expect any AD much less a good one like Baker, always has a list of candidates for any HC job.  

I have little doubt that Littrell would be gone if the last half of the 2021 season looked anything like the first half.  

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

So you advocate making the decision to fire him, mid-season; no matter what the last six games look like.  

I expect any AD much less a good one like Baker, always has a list of candidates for any HC job.  

I have little doubt that Littrell would be gone if the last half of the 2021 season looked anything like the first half.  

No decision to fire him, he is going to finish his contract, but if the results are poor then he is not getting a new one.

The first six games include 2 conference games, 2 future conference games, and 2 out of conference games that are winnable.   That, combined with previous seasons is enough to make an assessment about his future.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

No decision to fire him, he is going to finish his contract, but if the results are poor then he is not getting a new one.

The first six games include 2 conference games, 2 future conference games, and 2 out of conference games that are winnable.   That, combined with previous seasons is enough to make an assessment about his future.  

Totally agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1