Speculation: Gunnell will start, and he will be the missing piece

peanuts104

Gunnell has the credentials, the arm, etc. Decision making? that is something that is learned, but in his tape he didn't do terrible for a young starter against good defenses. Seth took a chance on a relatively unknown in Mason Fine and that propagated into UNT hall of fame type stuff.  I'm not saying Gunnell is the future, I'm saying if he isn't, we're dead in the water. Plays past 20 yards, we didn't have a qb that could reliably complete them in the past two years. Those plays are part of what made our offense so dynamic. If Gunnell can learn the playbook, which he's transferred a couple of times, then maybe he should get the starting nod. No idea how camp is going and would have loved to see him come in the spring. 

Put another way, Aune better have a master knowledge of the playbook and have worked on his long throws. Aune can be accurate. Gunnell has a cannon that Aune does not however. If Gunnell doesn't start, I suspect a flailing Aune will lead to a benching.

I would be happy to be wrong and Aune be the stud I think he can be, especially with his experience and rapport with the offense. However, I believe that moment was for last year, and it was only half realized.

In short:

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't care who's dad is more of an asshole. I just hope we have a QB that can win us games with his arm, and not just hand the ball off 40 times a game (because we saw how well that worked against Miami, OH)

Neither do I, but (potentially) juggling two big parental egos whilst trying to coach/develop/prepare new QB's to be ready for the season is not a skill set that I perceive SL as having.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

What makes you think that?  I don’t see him as the type of guy to quit on his teammates.  Just my take.

I don’t think he’s gonna quit, but I see Aune/Gunnell/Earle being the top 3. So that puts Ruder at 4.

I just feel as the coaches kinda gave up on him, which could be proven wrong, but so far I doubt we see him on the field this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I don’t think he’s gonna quit, but I see Aune/Gunnell/Earle being the top 3. So that puts Ruder at 4.

I just feel as the coaches kinda gave up on him, which could be proven wrong, but so far I doubt we see him on the field this year.

This is only because he was injured in spring practice. I imagine he will be back in the hunt this fall with a playbook head start on Gunnell and will probably pass Earle too.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

This is only because he was injured in spring practice. I imagine he will be back in the hunt this fall with a playbook head start on Gunnell and will probably pass Earle too.

All I’m saying is, I just can’t see it. 
His injury wasn’t too bad and didn’t take the entire spring, but I just have my doubts.

Hopefully I don’t get attacked by his family on here hahaha

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

18 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I don't care who's dad is more of an asshole. I just hope we have a QB that can win us games with his arm, and not just hand the ball off 40 times a game (because we saw how well that worked against Miami, OH)

Yea he handed the ball off in that Miami game but not to the number one offensive weapon NT had that got us there.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Yea he handed the ball off in that Miami game but not to the number one offensive weapon NT had that got us there.

True, but we have spent the last few days talking about our great depth at RB and still struggled.  It's not like Torrey came in a day or two prior to the bowl game announcing he wouldn't be playing.  There was plenty of time to properly prepare, we have the talent behind him, and we crapped the bed with a boring gameplan.

This is my biggest criticism of Littrell.  He showed up and announced we would "let it fly" and with the reputation of being an up and coming offensive genius. I want that SL to show up this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully the QB position can become a strength instead of a weakness.

Aune hasn't been much more than a placeholder for the last two years.  However, he obviously was the best QB NT had available.

I don't have any preference in QB, just hope whoever it is will be much better. 

It should be obvious that Littrell and staff has little confidence that Aune is the answer.  Why else would they sign 3 transfer QB's?