Transfers: Perception vs Reality

NT93

Texas Football, for the first time ever, listed each schools transfers added.  As I was looking through the lists it struck me that my perception of transfers doesn’t match the reality.  At least not according to my very surface level research.  I think most on here are of the opinion that we (G5’s) are a sort of farm system for the P5’s.  Based on where players transferred into Texas schools, that isn’t true.

Of the five P5 schools in the state, there were a total of 39 players who transferred in.  Of those, 23 were P5 players and 16 were G5 or lower.  

Of the six G5 schools in the state, there were a total of 47 players who transferred in.  Of those, 30 were P5 and 17 were G5 or lower.  (These numbers are skewed by Houston and SMU who brought in 19 P5 and only 5 G5.)

As I said, I know this is very surface level and I also know that it’s a small sample size, but I still found it interesting.  I’d like to do some more digging and see how many of the transfers were starters at their previous school, but it’s not very high on my to-do list.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

48 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Texas Football, for the first time ever, listed each schools transfers added.  As I was looking through the lists it struck me that my perception of transfers doesn’t match the reality.  At least not according to my very surface level research.  I think most on here are of the opinion that we (G5’s) are a sort of farm system for the P5’s.  Based on where players transferred into Texas schools, that isn’t true.

Of the five P5 schools in the state, there were a total of 39 players who transferred in.  Of those, 23 were P5 players and 16 were G5 or lower.  

Of the six G5 schools in the state, there were a total of 47 players who transferred in.  Of those, 30 were P5 and 17 were G5 or lower.  (These numbers are skewed by Houston and SMU who brought in 19 P5 and only 5 G5.)

As I said, I know this is very surface level and I also know that it’s a small sample size, but I still found it interesting.  I’d like to do some more digging and see how many of the transfers were starters at their previous school, but it’s not very high on my to-do list.

Not quite sure what your point is.  If NT or G5 had more players the bigs were interested in, there would be more offers to those players.  

As it is now, the Bigs are not going to give a ship to a transfer unless he has a lot higher perceived ceiling than what they can get out of high school and jucos or fills a dire need.    

To be very blunt there are just not that many players in the G5, that the Bigs covet enough to give up a 4 star high school recruit to sign.  

Between NIL and the new transfer rules, G5 and even some P5 are doomed to be raided at will by teams higher up in the football hierarchy.  The courts and NCAA have done their best to end any slim hope of any G5 or underfunded program had to ever really compete.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

The numbers don’t back up the statement that “G5 and some P5 are doomed to be raided at will by teams higher up in the football hierarchy.”  A high percentage of transfers are going from one P5 to another.  Additionally, more players transferred down from P5 to G5 than the other way around.  

I guess my point is that I thought exactly what you stated in your post until I actually looked at where transfers were going and where they are coming from.  Just not what I expected, that’s all.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NT93 said:

The numbers don’t back up the statement that “G5 and some P5 are doomed to be raided at will by teams higher up in the football hierarchy.”  A high percentage of transfers are going from one P5 to another.  Additionally, more players transferred down from P5 to G5 than the other way around.  

I guess my point is that I thought exactly what you stated in your post until I actually looked at where transfers were going and where they are coming from.  Just not what I expected, that’s all.

I guess you missed my point, G5's and NT included are not raided more because the Bigs are not interested in that many of their football players enough to use a ship on.   

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess you missed my point, G5's and NT included are not raided more because the Bigs are not interested in that many of their football players enough to use a ship on.   

I understood.  I just don’t know that the perception that G5’a are a farm system is accurate because of the very point you made.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1