Can we make a community nil deal?

p_phelps

I have absolutely no clue how nil works.  But could we all donate a modest amount to make an nil deal to a player or 2. Maybe help keep our own in the wake of KD leaving? Not sure if that's even possible but would love to explore options. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

I have absolutely no clue how nil works.  But could we all donate a modest amount to make an nil deal to a player or 2. Maybe help keep our own in the wake of KD leaving? Not sure if that's even possible but would love to explore options. 

Yes this is a great idea and I would be willing to chip in as well.  

• Upvote 1

Doesn't there have to be some kind of business arrangement? I thought it was about name and likeness, so there has to be, like, shirts for sale with his face on it, or arrangements for him to appear at your event.

If NIL simply allows pools of people/fans outside an AD to legally throw money at players with none of the above required, then have at it. I must have misunderstood.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Funny, had this suggestion seen the light of day a year or so ago, the wrath of the NCAA likely would have crashed down upon us.  Now, we make such a suggestion on our own fan board.  SMU was ahead of their time.

When it comes to paying players, SMU has a lot of experience.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

If this were about UNT Basketball (Mens & Womens) I would 100% be on board with it, because those programs are in a good place for something like this.

However UNT's Football program has a lot of inconsistencies at this time, and throwing a few bucks at a couple players may not translate to wins.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

Doesn't there have to be some kind of business arrangement? I thought it was about name and likeness, so there has to be, like, shirts for sale with his face on it, or arrangements for him to appear at your event.

If NIL simply allows pools of people/fans outside an AD to legally throw money at players with none of the above required, then have at it. I must have misunderstood.

We could have them advertise for GMG.com, problem solved. Just put their picture up with some quote saying this is the best place for Mean Green Sports talk and you should be good to go.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

This type program needs to happen. Our strength is in our alumni numbers. 300,000 local could we get 10% to donate $10.00 a month on a auto draft?

We can’t even get that many alumni to come to a single football game. Why would we think they would all donate 10 bucks a month?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

We can’t even get that many alumni to come to a single football game. Why would we think they would all donate 10 bucks a month?

Setting up an auto draft for $10 is not nearly the commitment as asking people to make the trek to Denton for football.

People have all kinds of junk subscriptions being auto-deducted from their account.

I'm not saying 300K people donating is attainable, I have no idea, but I think you need to reverse how you're thinking these two things ($10 auto-deduction/attending a football game) compare.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Setting up an auto draft for $10 is not nearly the commitment as asking people to make the trek to Denton for football.

People have all kinds of junk subscriptions being auto-deducted from their account.

I'm not saying 300K people donating is attainable, I have no idea, but I think you need to reverse how you're thinking these two things ($10 auto-deduction/attending a football game) compare.

I agree. Not every fan or person willing to donate lives in DFW. $10 a month is vastly easier and cheaper than tickets for a family of four plus travel and possible hotel costs. This would be a great way for out of staters to make a small contribution without having to spend a few hundred or thousand dollars getting to a home game.

• Upvote 1