UNT FB Morale at All Time Low?

Jonnyeagle

58 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We are down but far, far from an all-time low.

Amen, brother. That needs to be on a Mean Green T-shirt sold only to fans old enough to know why you hated having a friend with a bunch of nines in their phone number.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

That's odd because when I go to MeanGreenSports (desktop & mobile) and click on "Tickets" it tells me Away tickets will go on sale 7/6 at 9 AM. No idea how you managed to find an old article 

image.png.d1f1eeb1e3e8784d5564005989e318a5.png

https://meangreensports.com/sports/tickets

That is the link.  In is at the top of the page with other old articles. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rcade said:

I became a UNT fan when I arrived on campus in 1988 and there has never been a time I had no expectations.

People who think it was easier in the past to suck are forgetting what it was like to get your regular Saturday-evening kick in the nards watching the Mean Green in the Southland, Big West and Sun Belt. (I know people pay good money to have that done to themselves in San Antonio.)

Morale should not be at an all-time low when we're leaving Conference USA and Judy behind.

Rogers is the voice of reason.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach_1976 said:

From what heard from the defensive room is morale is still high and more they are happy for him. They know it is time to step up and follow Bennetts plan. But again I know it is just one day but internal team morale is still high. Could change but next man up 

Any indication on their feelings about other schools tampering with our players so deep into the offseason?

• Upvote 3

Y'all are in an ugly place.

Maybe it's wisdom, maybe it's stupidity, but with the money we are spending and with Wren in charge, I can carry confidence through this adversity unlike any previous administration/generation.  When we were getting hew HCs under RV, usually after a awful situation that involved firing the previous HC, I never felt this confidence.  I was always like, "Well, crap let's hope the next guy is a home run but it's probably just another next-in-line-to-be-fired guy."

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Y'all are in an ugly place.

Maybe it's wisdom, maybe it's stupidity, but with the money we are spending and with Wren in charge, I can carry confidence through this adversity unlike any previous administration/generation.  When we were getting hew HCs under RV, usually after a awful situation that involved firing the previous HC, I never felt this confidence.  I was always like, "Well, crap let's hope the next guy is a home run but it's probably just another next-in-line-to-be-fired guy."

I do still trust Wren, but him getting absolutely hosed on Littrell's extension leaving us hamstrung and unable to fire him after continual average or below average seasons has soured me on him a bit. I said it in another thread but ADs can hark on their success with a variety of sports from track to women's soccer but the fact of the matter is that if the football team is bad, that is all Joe T-shirt Average fan sees and cares about and that is what gets the most exposure. He's done great things with our athletics as a whole, but he has looked really incompetent with the results we are getting from a coach given all of the money and resources necessary to win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

getting absolutely hosed on Littrell's extension leaving us hamstrung and unable to fire him after continual average or below average seasons

I still don't believe this, but maybe I'm ignorant about something.   I'll continue to believe that the SL extension money is not the sole reason we kept SL.  Certainly not if we can bump Grant's salary up to 1 mil/year

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 5

43 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I still don't believe this, but maybe I'm ignorant about something.   I'll continue to believe that the SL extension money is not the sole reason we kept SL.  Certainly not if we can bump Grant's salary up to 1 mil/year

If that's the case, then it is even worse because there is truly no reason Littrell should still have a job here if not because of money. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

23 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

If that's the case, then it is even worse because there is truly no reason Littrell should still have a job here if not because of money. 

There are a handful of reasons SL could be here.  Reasons for firing a coach can be completely subjective.  Just because I don't agree with the reasons that he was kept doesn't make them false.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

September 27, 2008 sitting in Rice Stadium watching a team that was woefully ill-prepared lose 77-20.

October 10, 2016.  Was given tickets to the Club Level.  My youngest son and I then sat through a complete thrashing to freaking Portland State.

Having our administration relegate us to D1AA and the Southland Conference.

Sitting in Fouts many times when I could have thrown handfuls of gravel and not hit a soul.

We are down but far, far from an all-time low.

Spent my share of time at Fouts looking a ton of empty seats..need to thrive on adversity.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I've been a fan since 2013, and this is by far my lowest point. 2015 sucked, but McCarney was fired so there was hope for a change.

I feel like we're gonna be 5-7 or 6-6 every year as long as we have Littrell with no end in sight. That's the most disheartening part.

Just my opinion, but Littrell raising the floor to 6-6 - that we feel disappointed by that prospect - shows just how far the program has come since he started. 

• Upvote 7

I can tell you as a long time donor and fan or 28 years I just don't care much anymore.  But lets be honest, do you really care about who wins a conference or national championship now? It’s based on who spends the most money and that is all.  We have pro sports for that.  

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

This…although the Dodge Era is a very close second

I dunno man, at least in the Dodge era you would get excited only to be disappointed a few minutes later. The last 2 years of Dickey was like watching your favorite car rust away. It was brutal.

• Upvote 3

1982 was an especially gloomy season.  The previous year in 1981 we finished 2-9 in Bob Tyler's only year (thank god).  1982 brought a new coach in Corky Nelson, but again we stumbled to 2-9 only beating a near dead UTA program and Richmond.  Also, 1982 was NT's last in 1-A for a while as we were demoted in 1983 to 1-AA for lack of attendance and Administrators not designating Texas Stadium as a home venue. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

I can tell you as a long time donor and fan or 28 years I just don't care much anymore.  But lets be honest, do you really care about who wins a conference or national championship now? It’s based on who spends the most money and that is all.  We have pro sports for that.  

Don't disagree with point of money rules, but do not agree with your analogy to pro sports.

Pro football has a draft and salary limits which demonstrates a lot more fiscal responsibility than the free for all which is college football now.  The pros have a system which a least tries to promote competition. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

I am sorry to hear you feel this way.  I really am.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NT80 said:

1982 was an especially gloomy season.  The previous year in 1981 we finished 2-9 in Bob Tyler's only year (thank god).  1982 brought a new coach in Corky Nelson, but again we stumbled to 2-9 only beating a near dead UTA program and Richmond.  Also, 1982 was NT's last in 1-A for a while as we were demoted in 1983 to 1-AA for lack of attendance and Administrators not designating Texas Stadium as a home venue. 

I wasn’t around then, as I was in elementary school, but this would be the low point for our history.

Dropping to FCS level, while being surrounded by schools in the SWC, which was amongst the best conferences in CFB, will forever be the decision the kept us from ever being included in the now Power 5 setup. We nuked several generations of fans here. And we have enjoyed exactly 6 winning seasons since we moved up to FBS in 1995. 6… out of 27 seasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, akriesman said:

I am not as down on UNT football, as much as I am down on college football overall.   The NIL and transfer rules have pretty much ruined it for me.    That is why I don't really look forward to the coming season.

This is exactly how I feel.  Couldn’t have said it better.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, akriesman said:

I am not as down on UNT football, as much as I am down on college football overall.   The NIL and transfer rules have pretty much ruined it for me.    That is why I don't really look forward to the coming season.

NIL is fine. The big schools were always paying for players. 

The portal really sucks the life out of it for me, though. I think a really good way to meet in the middle on this is schools offer 4 year scholarships instead of the one year terms that are standard now. 

Protects the kid from being cut or told to go elsewhere and also protects the school. Of course you would need to insert a hardship waiver for certain transfer instances. 

• Puking Eagle 1