UNT FB Morale at All Time Low?

Jonnyeagle

I think morale was pretty low during the Dodge years.   But the expectations were extremely low back then, so it didn't seem so bad.   Back then, we'd have been extremely happy with 6-6 football.

Expectations are now higher than they've ever been (thanks to Smatresk, Baker, & 2016-18 Littrell), so now that we're spinning wheels at .500 football, it seems like it's the worst it's ever been.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely not all time but definitely not great. Think we'll see some pretty empty stadiums this year. Hell, we're talking about UTEP, arguably the worst football program in the country the past 10 years or so, as being a possible trap game for a coach in his 7th year. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

27 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Portland St.

End of discussion.

Thank you! 

19 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

B) Be informed that Littrell has been let go and Todd Dodge will be signing a 5-year contract?   

And Ron Mendoza will be the DC for all 5 years

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

I've been a fan since 2013, and this is by far my lowest point. 2015 sucked, but McCarney was fired so there was hope for a change.

I feel like we're gonna be 5-7 or 6-6 every year as long as we have Littrell with no end in sight. That's the most disheartening part.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, MGNation92 said:

I've been a fan since 2013, and this is by far my lowest point. 2015 sucked, but McCarney was fired so there was hope for a change.

I feel like we're gonna be 5-7 or 6-6 every year as long as we have Littrell with no end in sight. That's the most disheartening part.

game of thrones you know nothing GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A change was made immediately afterward.   We knew a change was coming.   That was the lowest point of NT Football as a program, but fan morale the day after was not as low as it is now.

I disagree strongly. Fan morale in late 2006 and late 2015 were way below where we are now. People were saying the exact same stuff when the Murphys left and recruiting was in the cellar, then Gunnell signs on and then everything is hunky dory to them again. People are very wishy washy right now and want better but we are nowhere close to black jerseygate or being force fed  Iowa City’s favorite son. Maybe you forgot what it felt like to end up with only 25 points and less than 270 total yards in a legit 7 overtime game against a team that would go 0-12. https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=262800249

How is morale even close to approaching that or 2015 levels of disgust?

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I disagree strongly. Fan morale in late 2006 and late 2015 were way below where we are now. People were saying the exact same stuff when the Murphys left and recruiting was in the cellar, then Gunnell signs on and then everything is hunky dory to them again. People are very wishy washy right now and want better but we are nowhere close to black jerseygate or being force fed  Iowa City’s favorite son. Maybe you forgot what it felt like to end up with only 25 points and less than 270 total yards in a legit 7 overtime game against a team that would go 0-12. https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=262800249

How is morale even close to approaching that or 2015 levels of disgust?

I mentioned that before.    Expectations were different back then.   ...like, we had none back then. 
Those 2006 guys were our loveable losers.  We all knew going it it was going to suck, but expectations were wishing/hoping/praying for bowl eligibility back then.   And again, right after the Portland St. loss, McCarney was fired and we all knew a new coach was on the horizon (keeping morale a little high based on hope).

Thanks to Neal, Wren, & 2016-18 Littrell, the NT fan base now has expectations, at least, I do. Wren has definitely capitalized on this financially.  But, we're stuck at .500 (at best) football.   It's very frustrating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I mentioned that before.    Expectations were different back then.   ...like, we had none back then. 
Those 2006 guys were our loveable losers.  We all knew going it it was going to suck, but expectations were wishing/hoping/praying for bowl eligibility back then.   And again, right after the Portland St. loss, McCarney was fired and we all knew a new coach was on the horizon (keeping morale a little high based on hope).

Thanks to Neal, Wren, & 2016-18 Littrell, the NT fan base now has expectations, at least, I do. Wren has definitely capitalized on this financially.  But, we're stuck at .500 (at best) football.   It's very frustrating.

I would think those expectations would increase the floor on morale making now easily higher than back then.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Absolutely not all time but definitely not great. Think we'll see some pretty empty stadiums this year. Hell, we're talking about UTEP, arguably the worst football program in the country the past 10 years or so, as being a possible trap game for a coach in his 7th year. 

I thought about posting a whole new topic but what I was about to post separately fits here perfect now that you mentioned this.  Like a good fan/alumni I skipped the other ticket sites and went to ours to browse UTEP vs North Texas tickets .  But what was on the first page that greeted me?  — A “Reduce capacity notice” from almost 2 years ago.  Now that is the way to get a fan excited about engaging with the program.  😮🤦🏽‍♂️  A minor detail and easy to fix.  I don’t understand why that is still up.  Doesn’t reinforce my faith in the leadership at all.

312748A5-5B62-46F7-9EDA-8F1ACDB0CBC9.png

Edited by Mike Jackson
Grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I thought about posting a whole new topic but what I was about to post separately fits here perfect now that you mentioned this.  Like a good fan/alumni I skipped the other ticket sites and went to ours to browse UTEP vs North Texas tickets .  But what was on the first page that greeted me?  — A “Reduce capacity notice” from almost 2 years ago.  Now that is the want to get a fan excited about engaging with the program.  😮🤦🏽‍♂️  I a minor detail and easy to fix.  I don’t understand why that is still up.  Doesn’t reinforce my faith in the leadership at all.

312748A5-5B62-46F7-9EDA-8F1ACDB0CBC9.png

That's odd because when I go to MeanGreenSports (desktop & mobile) and click on "Tickets" it tells me Away tickets will go on sale 7/6 at 9 AM. No idea how you managed to find an old article 

image.png.d1f1eeb1e3e8784d5564005989e318a5.png

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

September 27, 2008 sitting in Rice Stadium watching a team that was woefully ill-prepared lose 77-20.

October 10, 2016.  Was given tickets to the Club Level.  My youngest son and I then sat through a complete thrashing to freaking Portland State.

Having our administration relegate us to D1AA and the Southland Conference.

Sitting in Fouts many times when I could have thrown handfuls of gravel and not hit a soul.

We are down but far, far from an all-time low.

Nevermind.  I'm wrong.   This would have to be the worst.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I became a UNT fan when I arrived on campus in 1988 and there has never been a time I had no expectations.

People who think it was easier in the past to suck are forgetting what it was like to get your regular Saturday-evening kick in the nards watching the Mean Green in the Southland, Big West and Sun Belt. (I know people pay good money to have that done to themselves in San Antonio.)

Morale should not be at an all-time low when we're leaving Conference USA and Judy behind.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1