Kenneth Lofton Jr. Goes Undrafted

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

True, but Holmgren will and he was just recently selected #2 in the draft and Lofton was solid against  him.

Lofton's line: 19 points (8-17 FG, 2-6 3's and 1-2 FT), 6 rebounds and 3 assists

Holmgren: 11 points (3-11 FG, 1-6 3's and 4-4 FT), 12 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks

Impressive, but this is one night of summer league.   No real comparison can be drawn between the #2 pick in the draft who isn't playing for a roster spot and a guy from La Tech who went undrafted.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Impressive, but this is one night of summer league.   No real comparison can be drawn between the #2 pick in the draft who isn't playing for a roster spot and a guy from La Tech who went undrafted.  

These guys are still ultra competitive and while Holmgrem isn't fighting for a roster spot, he's  not going out there half assed. Certainly nobody was talking about Holmgen "not playing for a roster spot" after the first summer league game when he put up 23 points on nearly perfect shooting and 6 blocks. Now that he has a bad game, he's just not playing for a roster spot.

There's plenty of summer league heroes who never play in the NBA. Lofton has had two very good statistical outings. The reason he's getting attention is he's showing good post moves, bullying people down low, and hitting tough shots through contact. We'll see what happens. A team in Dallas sure could use some post presence.

• Upvote 2

Lofton continues to be a walking bucket in Summer League action. 18 points on 8/9 shooting with 4 rebounds in 15 minutes last night. While incredibly efficient shooting the ball, he's consistently struggled handling the ball and with foul trouble. Five turnovers last night and 4 his previous game. He's also had at least 4 fouls in each of his 3 games despite limited minutes.

4 hours ago, southsideguy said:

do they even play defense in the NBA?

Like other pro leagues in the US, the rules have been changed to benefit offense. The NFL has been the worst IMO. The young (my) generation is composed of uncultured savages who can't see the beauty in an 84-82 paint-dominated slugfest. Gotta have everything now, including scoring. The bigger the numbers on the scoreboard, the better, right?

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:59 PM, GMG_Dallas said:

Like other pro leagues in the US, the rules have been changed to benefit offense. The NFL has been the worst IMO. The young (my) generation is composed of uncultured savages who can't see the beauty in an 84-82 paint-dominated slugfest. Gotta have everything now, including scoring. The bigger the numbers on the scoreboard, the better, right?

Yet the best player in the NBA is Giannis Antetokounmpo. Are you such a weird dude that you're gonna hate on Kenneth Lofton Jr. for expanding his game? If you think ANY college team could throw defensive sets at an NBA Summer League roster and even offer resistance you're a nut. Lofton Jr.'s success in the SL speaks more to Konkol's incompetence and stubbornness than "the scoreboard" in the NBA.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, L Ron Studdard said:

Yet the best player in the NBA is Giannis Antetokounmpo. Are you such a weird dude that you're gonna hate on Kenneth Lofton Jr. for expanding his game? If you think ANY college team could throw defensive sets at an NBA Summer League roster and even offer resistance you're a nut. Lofton Jr.'s success in the SL speaks more to Konkol's incompetence and stubbornness than "the scoreboard" in the NBA.

I don't see how any of this relates to what I said and I never hated on Lofton. Confused by this response.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, L Ron Studdard said:

I think his success in the SL has more to do with playing guys who are hoping for a FA minimum contract.  

Yes, he had one good game against Holmgren.  Name me the GM who would take Lofton over Holmgren…they all had that chance and passed.