Kenneth Lofton Jr. Goes Undrafted

27 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Kid must have got some bad advice. No way you enter the draft with NCAA eligibility if you think you’ll go undrafted. I honestly thought he could’ve used a year at a larger program but good luck to him. 

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He probably could've made more money retaining his eligibility and getting NIL money from a high-major.

I don’t think it’s necessarily bad advice just because he didn’t get drafted. He was a legit draft prospect and got a 2-way contract. He’s going to play in the NBA. Bad advice to me would be guys who don’t even get legitimate consideration for exhibit 10 contracts.

From a draft profile standpoint, staying in school wasn’t going to help him. His shortcoming is his height, and staying in school won’t help there. 

From there you have to weigh the opportunity cost. Are the NIL deals really that lucrative for him? A lot of times NIL deals get thrown out like they’re sure things and that six-figure NIL deals are just out there growing on trees. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn’t. But even taking an NIL deal and staying in college, it hurts your draft prospects the older you are when you enter the draft.

Then there’s the education piece. So many of these kids aren’t pursuing a degree that materially increases their earning potential, because they’re really in college to play sports. Not sure if that’s true for Lofton but if a guy is forgoing the completion of his general studies degree, the lifetime earnings impact probably isn’t taking a detrimental hit.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

So, not paying much attention to the NBA draft in the past, a few questions:

Why is there only two rounds?

What is a two-way contract?

How do players get selected for these D-league, G-league, or Ignite- type teams and is there a food chain among them?

Edited by NT80
  • Haha 1

the G-league is the official minor league of the NBA (used to be called the D League)

Two-way contracts means they can move between G-league and the NBA

G-league Ignite is more of a developmental program to get players ready for pro ball, sort of an alternative to college ball.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

the G-league is the official minor league of the NBA (used to be called the D League)

Two-way contracts means they can move between G-league and the NBA

G-league Ignite is more of a developmental program to get players ready for pro ball, sort of an alternative to college ball.

interesting, thanks!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

So, not paying much attention to the NBA draft in the past, a few questions:

Why is there only two rounds?

What is a two-way contract?

How do players get selected for these D-league, G-league, or Ignite- type teams and is there a food chain among them?

There are only 2 rounds as there are far fewer roster spots on a basketball team than other pro league sports. It is common to see your 2nd rounders not even make the NBA team and spend time (forever?) in D/G/overseas leagues.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

interesting, thanks!

To add on, the two way contracts and g league has been fairly successful IMO. Worst case scenario, guys have a career playing pro ball in a lower league. In some cases, these guys are developed and have legitimate NBA careers. The MLB and NHL have similar systems to the two-way contracts in the NBA as it pertains to players being called up to the major league affiliate or sent back down throughout the season.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

To add on, the two way contracts and g league has been fairly successful IMO. Worst case scenario, guys have a career playing pro ball in a lower league. In some cases, these guys are developed and have legitimate NBA careers. The MLB and NHL have similar systems to the two-way contracts in the NBA as it pertains to players being called up to the major league affiliate or sent back down throughout the season.

I saw Hamlet was on the Mavs G League team in January then waived in late Feb.  

I know several of our guys have gone to Europe or Asia to play pro ball.  How does pay there compare to the G League?  I guess getting paid to play ball is great no matter where it is if you can make a decent living at it.  

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

How does pay there compare to the G League?  I guess getting paid to play ball is great no matter where it is if you can make a decent living at it.  

Depends where. From what I've seen, average salaries in Euro League (including Israel) are around 500k per year but the top earners are in the low millions. For example, Shane Larkin who was briefly with the Mavs and played at Miami earns 3.7 million per year. Cori Higgins who went undradted out of Colorado some years back is just below 2 million per year. Low earners I believe closer to 100k. I believe China pays a bit better but the rest of the world doesn't pay a whole lot. I'd imagine Australia, Brazil, and Argentina pay decent since basketball is pretty big in those countries.

Edit: did some research, Japan and South Korea pay pretty well too. Averages around 500k per year.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

I saw Hamlet was on the Mavs G League team in January then waived in late Feb.  

I know several of our guys have gone to Europe or Asia to play pro ball.  How does pay there compare to the G League?  I guess getting paid to play ball is great no matter where it is if you can make a decent living at it.  

I’m pretty sure G League you get paid less, however it is the easier route to get into the NBA through the two-way contracts and summer league and stuff, and I believe has better players than many international leagues. Lots more selfish hero-ball in G League too, because everyone is trying to show off. 

was a real shame Hamlet didn’t work out for the G League, think he just was making too many mistakes in games. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Saw the game yesterday, he did look good on both sides of the ball, lets see how a few more games go.  They play OKC with Chet Holmgren tonight should be worth watching.

Amazing game tonight. 19 points and 6 boards and shut down Chet. He’s making some noise for sure in this tourney. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

he had a great night, he is definitely built for the NBA game, even Ja was impressed.  At this point he should easily earn a 2way deal on somebody's roster

Fairly certain he already has a two way deal with the Grizzlies 

NBA teams are only allowed two 2-way players, Memphis already has a solid roster, so its still hard to say where he will end up.  And lets not get ahead of ourselves, this is summer league and these are not real NBA rosters, only a few of these players will actually ever play in the association. 

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

NBA teams are only allowed two 2-way players, Memphis already has a solid roster, so its still hard to say where he will end up.  And lets not get ahead of ourselves, this is summer league and these are not real NBA rosters, only a few of these players will actually ever play in the association. 

True, but Holmgren will and he was just recently selected #2 in the draft and Lofton was solid against  him.

Lofton's line: 19 points (8-17 FG, 2-6 3's and 1-2 FT), 6 rebounds and 3 assists

Holmgren: 11 points (3-11 FG, 1-6 3's and 4-4 FT), 12 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks

Edited by UNTLifer