Jump to content

KD Davis entered the portal


Recommended Posts

I could not care less where he ends up, but UT, smut and A&M should be investigated for tampering although I don't think it matters to the NCAA nor is it against the rules at this time.

 

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well this does it for me and college football.   I see why SL is now recruiting lower level players,  get a big fish, has good season and he is off to the the big $$$$ schools.

 I doubt he will make in the pros (not many do) but he might make some good coin playing in college.  College football is dead to me.   I won't be buying season tickets anymore.   Maybe we just focus on Basketball where we can afford to pay for players. So sad I always loved college football over pro football.  

  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

What the hell does KD expect the remaining guys to say?    "Oh no!  we're gonna suck without you KD!  Please reconsider!!...".   Stupid.
Enoch's right.   Next man up.   But let's be honest, the "next man" ain't on KD's level.

Yeah, calling that statement petty is just silly.

Also, something I haven’t seen mentioned much is how experienced the guys we have still are. At least the expected starters.

Wood has 11 career starts and Nixon has 16. We have two linebackers who have proven themselves to at least be legitimate CUSA level linebackers. Like you said, still not KD’s level but not a duo that looks like a weakness either.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Well this does it for me and college football.   I see why SL is now recruiting lower level players,  get a big fish, has good season and he is off to the the big $$$$ schools.

 I doubt he will make in the pros (not many do) but he might make some good coin playing in college.  College football is dead to me.   I won't be buying season tickets anymore.   Maybe we just focus on Basketball where we can afford to pay for players. So sad I always loved college football over pro football.  

Right there with you. Hardly watched last year and quickly falling out of love with college football which I also used to love over pro football.

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Fun fact:

KD Davis played as many seasons for the Mean Green as Fine, Darden, and Torrey did.

Right (Well, Torrey was a JUCO transfer, so he was already behind), and I'm so glad he did.  He's a fantastic player.
But just like Brammer, he had another year of eligibility here at UNT, and chose to go elsewhere.   
Novil & Mose stayed.   Those other guys didn't have the covid year to play with, but they still could have utilized the transfer portal & chose not to.

He's not quite on Hope's level (an absolute legend who parlayed her success here into a National Championship w/OU), but just like her, he kinda loses a bit of his luster around here by leaving.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, calling that statement petty is just silly.

Also, something I haven’t seen mentioned much is how experienced the guys we have still are. At least the expected starters.

Wood has 11 career starts and Nixon has 16. We have two linebackers who have proven themselves to at least be legitimate CUSA level linebackers. Like you said, still not KD’s level but not a duo that looks like a weakness either.

I doubt both of those guys move back to Mike though.   Both were projected to fight for the Will after Spring Practice, while Brown was projected behind KD.  I can maybe see Wood moving back to Mike.   I like Nixon outside.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right (Well, Torrey was a JUCO transfer, so he was already behind), and I'm so glad he did.  He's a fantastic player.
But just like Brammer, he had another year of eligibility here at UNT, and chose to go elsewhere.   
Novil & Mose stayed.   Those other guys didn't have the covid year to play with, but they still could have utilized the transfer portal & chose not to.

He's not quite on Hope's level (an absolute legend who parlayed her success here into a National Championship w/OU), but just like her, he kinda loses a bit of his luster around here by leaving.

Not gonna argue he loses some luster on his Mean Green legacy. The larger point I’m trying to make is that he gave us 4 seasons, include 3 starting seasons, same for Brammer, and that benefitted us more than him leaving hurt us.

Fans can hate them for leaving, I don’t care. But obviously I look at things from the recruiting angle and Brammer and Davis seem to invoke fear of recruiting high school players now. We can’t look at the signees in this age as “not working out” just because they Transfer. What did they give us while they were here?

Not saying you are making this claim, just clarifying my point.

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I doubt both of those guys move back to Mike though.   Both were projected to fight for the Will after Spring Practice, while Brown was projected behind KD.  I can maybe see Wood moving back to Mike.   I like Nixon outside.

I’m not saying both move back to Mike. Just one of them. Most likely Wood, like you said. But the positions aren’t that different. The best two will be on the field, which could be Brown but only if he’s better, not just because that’s where he was in the spring and they weren’t.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

If this doesn't speak to the current climate of UNT Football, I don't know what does.

 

It speaks to the climate of all college football except for the biggus dickus.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Well this does it for me and college football.   I see why SL is now recruiting lower level players,  get a big fish, has good season and he is off to the the big $$$$ schools.

 I doubt he will make in the pros (not many do) but he might make some good coin playing in college.  College football is dead to me.   I won't be buying season tickets anymore.   Maybe we just focus on Basketball where we can afford to pay for players. So sad I always loved college football over pro football.  

This is one of the reasons I did not renew our season tickets this year. Add in inflation and the state of the Union as well an over paid, incompetent head coach and it was an easy decision. And I’ve been a fan for over 50 years. 

I will always bleed green. Have incredible memories over those 50+ years but college football has been ruined as well as many traditions in our great land. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Not gonna argue he loses some luster on his Mean Green legacy. The larger point I’m trying to make is that he gave us 4 seasons, include 3 starting seasons, same for Brammer, and that benefitted us more than him leaving hurt us.

Fans can hate them for leaving, I don’t care. But obviously I look at things from the recruiting angle and Brammer and Davis seem to invoke fear of recruiting high school players now. We can’t look at the signees in this age as “not working out” just because they Transfer. What did they give us while they were here?

Not saying you are making this claim, just clarifying my point.

I’m not saying both move back to Mike. Just one of them. Most likely Wood, like you said. But the positions aren’t that different. The best two will be on the field, which could be Brown but only if he’s better, not just because that’s where he was in the spring and they weren’t.

We're 100% in agreement.   Thankful for his years spent in Green for sure, and proud to call him an alumni brother.   Same with Brammer.
I got roasted for posting about how great Hope was doing on her way to the Championship, even though she's also an alumnus.    No hate here (unless he winds up at SMU).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Problem with limiting the total number of players is you reduce the players coming in as walk-ons which I think is one of the beauties of college sports. They just need to get NIL under control. It may be good for the bigger recruits to get a cut but it's ruining the game for fans and I'd imagine for the lower rated recruits as well. 

I think the beauty of college sports (at least as we knew it) is fading.  I'm not sure how reducing the max number of players on a team would reduce walk-ons.  Walk-ons can always try out.  If they are good enough, they can make the xx-man roster (xx being something significantly under 100).  If they are not, then they need to find something else to do with their time.  It's simply no longer the game we all grew up with and it's time to recognize that.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We're 100% in agreement.   Thankful for his years spent in Green for sure, and proud to call him an alumni brother.   Same with Brammer.
I got roasted for posting about how great Hope was doing on her way to the Championship, even though she's also an alumnus.    No hate here (unless he winds up at SMU).

Yeah and with other fans it’s one thing. I can’t help but feel that Littrell is mentally falling in that camp as well.

The last two recruiting classes we have not received many commitments/signings from the high school ranks despite seemingly recruiting as many kids as before. I get the feeling that Littrell wants to only sign 10-12 high school kids a year, but build relationships with more to set us up with potential portal transfers down the line.

I think the strategy is logical and I’m sure many G5s will do this. I just fear we are killing momentum that we worked very hard to build up at the high school level. And frankly have had more success with than we have with the portal. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't blame him. You can only get so far at UNT, A&M despite the cult fanbase, is a great place to improve as a football player.

This is the reality for you Group of Five schools. Your best players will eventually want to be on a bigger stage against stronger opponents and that's something you simply cannot find at a G5 school no matter how much you may like it there.

 

This is a Power Five ran football world. You have to get with the times or continue to be passed up and left behind.

 

Maybe there could offer some good NILs deals for UNT players but honestly, who in Denton or even Dallas is actually going to step up to the plate for that?

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

I don't blame him. You can only get so far at UNT, A&M despite the cult fanbase, is a great place to improve as a football player.

This is the reality for you Group of Five schools. Your best players will eventually want to be on a bigger stage against stronger opponents and that's something you simply cannot find at a G5 school no matter how much you may like it there.

 

This is a Power Five ran football world. You have to get with the times or continue to be passed up and left behind.

 

Maybe there could offer some good NILs deals for UNT players but honestly, who in Denton or even Dallas is actually going to step up to the plate for that?

 

I actually agree with you. I don't fault him as the player, I fault our leadership and coaching staff for not making this a more attractive place to play. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

I don't blame him. You can only get so far at UNT, A&M despite the cult fanbase, is a great place to improve as a football player.

This is the reality for you Group of Five schools. Your best players will eventually want to be on a bigger stage against stronger opponents and that's something you simply cannot find at a G5 school no matter how much you may like it there.

 

This is a Power Five ran football world. You have to get with the times or continue to be passed up and left behind.

 

Maybe there could offer some good NILs deals for UNT players but honestly, who in Denton or even Dallas is actually going to step up to the plate for that?

Why are you here?

  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, untbowler said:

he graduated, tell him congrats and wish him well on his journey. Not worth trashing a player who has a degree from the school. Hope he does well for his COVID 5th year.

Makes more sense if it's Texas. Smut is a lateral move.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

I don't blame him. You can only get so far at UNT, A&M despite the cult fanbase, is a great place to improve as a football player.

This is the reality for you Group of Five schools. Your best players will eventually want to be on a bigger stage against stronger opponents and that's something you simply cannot find at a G5 school no matter how much you may like it there.

 

This is a Power Five ran football world. You have to get with the times or continue to be passed up and left behind.

 

Maybe there could offer some good NILs deals for UNT players but honestly, who in Denton or even Dallas is actually going to step up to the plate for that?

Like D’Eriq King?

  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

I don't blame him. You can only get so far at UNT, A&M despite the cult fanbase, is a great place to improve as a football player.

This is the reality for you Group of Five schools. Your best players will eventually want to be on a bigger stage against stronger opponents and that's something you simply cannot find at a G5 school no matter how much you may like it there.

 

This is a Power Five ran football world. You have to get with the times or continue to be passed up and left behind.

 

Maybe there could offer some good NILs deals for UNT players but honestly, who in Denton or even Dallas is actually going to step up to the plate for that?

"You group of five schools" 
 

Either a really poor troll joke or blatant lack of self-awareness.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.