KD Davis entered the portal

23 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

Just saw a national beat reporter say he's hearing KD is going to stay at UNT. 

Screenshot_20220627-161050_Chrome.jpg

That’s really interesting…

This thread, which I just checked and is like top 100 most replied threads in GMG history, would be in flames.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And it's also a good reason why Littrell & Co. need to stop being so petty and removing players from the roster as soon as they hit the portal.

What if the conversation was more than just, "Good sir, I have decided to enter the portal to explore my options?"

Also, I like to tell myself A&M couldn't match our NIL offer, and laugh while wearing my "Screw the Ags" Cheerio-stained t-shirt.

• Upvote 5

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would be a huge recruiting win if he returns.  And it's also a good reason why Littrell & Co. need to stop being so petty and removing players from the roster as soon as they hit the portal.  There's always a chance they could change their minds, but it's hard when it seems like the coaches are acting like they've moved on.

Wonder if he's worried he wont get the waiver after waiting so long to transfer?

EDIT:
KD, if you're reading this, all this butthurt from fans is just a testament to how much we think you're needed for the success of our football team!    Come home & help get that elusive bowl win!

Not just a huge recruiting win but the biggest recruiting win in history!

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would be a huge recruiting win if he returns.  And it's also a good reason why Littrell & Co. need to stop being so petty and removing players from the roster as soon as they hit the portal.  There's always a chance they could change their minds, but it's hard when it seems like the coaches are acting like they've moved on.

Wonder if he's worried he wont get the waiver after waiting so long to transfer?

EDIT:
KD, if you're reading this, all this butthurt from fans is just a testament to how much we think you're needed for the success of our football team!    Come home & help get that elusive bowl win!

Gotta be the waiver.  He would essentially be taking a huge gamble that it gets approved even if he does have a legitimate family reason.

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

EDIT:

I wouldn’t say it would be a recruiting (win). Being honest unt don’t have close to what those sec schools can offer. maybe he didn’t find his fit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Am I crazy (and maybe a little cruel here) for thinking some of y'all are waaay too high on KD?

Where would you rank him among our LBs the last 10 years? Maybe I am underestimating him.

I don't think people are placing him on any all time lists at this point, but in terms of the current roster he is by far the best and most impactful player as it stands today.  Preseason All-American (1 of 2 CUSA players to do so), returning from a 1st team All-CUSA season, leader of the defense, and was immediately contacted and offered by A&M and Ole Miss after entering the portal so I think that shows what other teams feel about his ability.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Am I crazy (and maybe a little cruel here) for thinking some of y'all are waaay too high on KD?

Where would you rank him among our LBs the last 10 years? Maybe I am underestimating him.

Last 10 yrs... so 2012-on would exclude guys like Craig Robertson, Tobe Nwigwe, and prior... 

For me, if you're talking about true LBs, (not the hybrid DE/LB rusher in a 3-man front, or the hybrid S/LB that we've used since 2016) that brings up Orr & Ejiya as tier 1 HOF'ers, before mentioning Derek Akunne & KD in tier 2 (maybe with Brandon Garner) as All-conference superstars.   Guys like Courtney Finney & Will Wright (solid players) would be tier 3.

If KD comes back, I'd say top 3, just ahead of Akunne.   He could have a great season and put his name in the top 5 in tackles in the record books... solidifying himself as a NT HOFer.  If he has a spectacular season, he could move past Ejiya, IMO.

If he leaves, I'd still have him as top 5 over the past decade based on what he's done.  He's a great player!

• Upvote 4

This would be huge and I don’t take it as petty that he was removed from the active roster by the athletic department. Basically, KD removed himself when he entered the portal. He can be added back just as easily as he was removed. 

Edit: I think KD read the accolades, had teams (Jimbo) chirping in his ear and decided to test the market. I don’t like it but I can’t blame him. My guess is that he waited too late and would end up having to sit out a year and didn’t want to do that considering he has already taken an extra year. My other assumption is that he was probably undersized to play the same position in the SEC and would have to move positions. These are all assumptions on my part, or a humble opinion, and we know what assumptions lead to. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

He has been added back to the roster and I encourage every last one of you to purchase one of his shirts. Let us show Shark that he made the right choice sticking with the Mean Green. I just ordered a few myself.
Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

He has been added back to the roster and I encourage every last one of you to purchase one of his shirts. Let us show Shark that he made the right choice sticking with the Mean Green. I just ordered a few myself.

I am about to do the exact same thing!

Welcome back KD!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:00 PM, NT93 said:

The timing is like leaving the bride or groom standing at the altar.  He’s graduated and he’s given us his time, but seriously.  You’re going to transfer at the end of June?

The wedding is back on!!! 

WOOHOO!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2