KD Davis entered the portal

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

WideBabyishJapanesebeetle-size_restricte

I'll friggin walk away from college football altogether if a conference mate (don't care how rich they are) buys an all-conference player off our team.    I might be in denial, but it can't be SMU.

Texas, A&M, OU, OSU, heck even Baylor or TCU...   go get your money KD.  Thanks for everything & good luck to you in your future!
If it's SMU, I hope they get popped for tampering, the NCAA hammers them again a-la 1987, forfeit the season & you're stuck not playing football anymore.

I'm honestly surprised so many G5 fans still watch college football. Most unbalanced system in college sports. The number of full scholarships needs to be reduced so the talent spreads out and playoffs greatly expanded to keep things competitive otherwise there's no point. I've been done with football. Basketball, and if we get baseball, is where it's at for the men's sports. Softball and women's soccer are nice, too.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I don’t see how your article answered his question Brett.

Right. It didn’t. I was talking about details on why he would make this move now. NIL deal, internal turmoil, etc. Clearly something changed and there was some reason he decided to leave after the immediate eligibility cutoff date, when he could’ve done it earlier when it made more sense.

Hard to gauge how likely a waiver would be. Doubt the NCAA feels compelled to just start handing out waivers and basically nullify the cutoff date. Or maybe they don’t care. But those are the things I’m unclear on. Not the clearly known facts of the case.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

58 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Right. It didn’t. I was talking about details on why he would make this move now. NIL deal, internal turmoil, etc. Clearly something changed and there was some reason he decided to leave after the immediate eligibility cutoff date, when he could’ve done it earlier when it made more sense.

Hard to gauge how likely a waiver would be. Doubt the NCAA feels compelled to just start handing out waivers and basically nullify the cutoff date. Or maybe they don’t care. But those are the things I’m unclear on. Not the clearly known facts of the case.

I guessing someone has told him he could increase his draft chances if he moved

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I don’t see how your article answered his question Brett.

You asked how he could transfer this late. This is how. Why is another question.

"The deadline for players to transfer and be eligible for the 2022 season was May 1. Davis will have to apply for a waiver from the NCAA if he transfers to another school, which would help him with the process. He has graduated from UNT."

Edited by Brett Vito
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

NCAA has been very lenient with waivers for players wanting to be closer to home for family issues.  If he transfers to a school closer to his home (Ennis - 35 mi south of downtown Dallas) he could be playing next year. 

SMUt is closer to Ennis than Denton.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

3 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Click bait lmaooo

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I just received my Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine this evening.

"Coach Bennett comes to practice with high energy" star linebacker KD Davis said. "He's the reason I stayed here at North Texas. I believe in everything that he's coaching and that's why I stayed part of the program".

Sir, I don't believe that's correct.

Yeah,  something changed from then to now.    It's not like he wasn't getting the preseason hype back in February & March.   I'm sure whenever he said this, he meant it.
Wonder if Sark (or some other P5) took a look at his LB corps after spring ball and decided he needed to go shopping, and in order to not directly "tamper", had to go through some back channels to get KD's attention.

• Upvote 3

College football has changed forever.  All-conference recognition, pre-season hype and accolades can easily go to someone's head convincing them (or others) that they are better than they are so they try to grab the brass ring.  Only time will tell if they are successful.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm honestly surprised so many G5 fans still watch college football. Most unbalanced system in college sports. The number of full scholarships needs to be reduced so the talent spreads out and playoffs greatly expanded to keep things competitive otherwise there's no point. I've been done with football. Basketball, and if we get baseball, is where it's at for the men's sports. Softball and women's soccer are nice, too.

In the NIL era I'm not sure simply limiting the number of scholarships will be enough.  Teams can simply find ways to get players enough $ to pay for their education and then some.  May just need to reduce the total number of players regardless of scholarship or NIL a team is allowed to have.  Some may say that limits the path to higher education that sports provides, but it doesn't seem to be about education anymore, so.....

• Upvote 4

Next man up is likely Kevin Wood... He's not quite KD, but he has shown himself to be an effective ILB since he was a freshman. I'm OK with him Jordan Brown and Taylor Jacobs duking it out from a pure physical talent standpoint. Nothing could possibly replace KD's experience though. 

• Upvote 4

Am I crazy or is that Jimbo Fisher? I'm all for kids getting paid and taking the best opportunity, but being the portal and facetime with a coach and showing a car on your instagram taking you to your new school seems to be tampering to me. I mean he seems to have a plan already.

Crazy times in CFB.

Screenshot_20220624-113158_Instagram.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

In the NIL era I'm not sure simply limiting the number of scholarships will be enough.  Teams can simply find ways to get players enough $ to pay for their education and then some.  May just need to reduce the total number of players regardless of scholarship or NIL a team is allowed to have.  Some may say that limits the path to higher education that sports provides, but it doesn't seem to be about education anymore, so.....

Problem with limiting the total number of players is you reduce the players coming in as walk-ons which I think is one of the beauties of college sports. They just need to get NIL under control. It may be good for the bigger recruits to get a cut but it's ruining the game for fans and I'd imagine for the lower rated recruits as well. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Am I crazy or is that Jimbo Fisher? I'm all for kids getting paid and taking the best opportunity, but being the portal and facetime with a coach and showing a car on your instagram taking you to your new school seems to be tampering to me. I mean he seems to have a plan already.

Crazy times in CFB.

That looks like Jimbo Fisher. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

Crazy times in CFB.

Can't fault KD if he goes to A&M to play in front of 100k/gm at Kyle & the SEC.

Makes you super-thankful for guys like Mason Fine, Jaelon Darden, Dion Novil, DeAndre Torrey, and Manase Mose... all of whom could have used the transfer portal to play "at another level", but stayed true to the Green & White. 

• Upvote 6