KD Davis entered the portal

3 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I believe that was the case last year, at least for basketball. Pretty sure last year the deadline was June 30th, again, at least for basketball. Sounds like this is under consideration at an NCAA meeting next week, but not sure what the current rule in place is.

image.png.3c5945601821d60da990d2dee5e3259b.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, laxtonto said:

grad transfer at this point, so no.

I’m not completely sure, but I don’t think grad transfer is really a relevant delineation anymore. It seems you only get one one-time Transfer sit out free, regardless of grad transfer or not. And the portal deadline still applies the same for graduates and non graduates.

16 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I’m just gonna show up/tune in and watch the 11 on our team on offense and the 11 on our team on defensive (whoever they are) and hope that at the end of the game, we have more points than they do. 

I also prefer burying my head in the sand to worrying about the state of our program 😉 

If we are unwilling to make a move to can coach mumbles, then players can't be expected to stick around. or fans.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I’m not completely sure, but I don’t think grad transfer is really a relevant delineation anymore. It seems you only get one one-time Transfer sit out free, regardless of grad transfer or not. And the portal deadline still applies the same for graduates and non graduates.

Grad transfer designation is still important because 1, its still on the books as a free transfer, and 2, has to be there due to the fact that student-athletes can graduate during the summer.

You cannot force a student to not graduate during the summer (and generally force them to now retake an additional 40 hours at his new school to be eligible to graduate there) just to meet a transfer window deadline in May or June when he is better off receiving his degree and then looking at graduate options.

Poor timing for UNT, but it errs on the side of the student athlete.

• Upvote 1

Grad transfer designation is still important because 1, its still on the books as a free transfer, and 2, has to be there due to the fact that student-athletes can graduate during the summer.

You cannot force a student to not graduate during the summer (and generally force them to now retake an additional 40 hours at his new school to be eligible to graduate there) just to meet a transfer window deadline in May or June when he is better off receiving his degree and then looking at graduate options.

Poor timing for UNT, but it errs on the side of the student athlete.

When you say “free transfer” do you mean not counting towards a class cap? Because that was never the case unless it changed recently. They have always counted towards a signing class total.

But I agree on what you’re saying logically. I just remember the last I read is that a player who already used his sit-out free transfer cannot use another as a grad transfer, or at least that was expected to be the case. But that doesn’t disprove what you’re saying about timing and being precluded from being subject to the cut-off dates. Guess we’ll find out for sure in the coming weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

When you say “free transfer” do you mean not counting towards a class cap? Because that was never the case unless it changed recently. They have always counted towards a signing class total.

But I agree on what you’re saying logically. I just remember the last I read is that a player who already used his sit-out free transfer cannot use another as a grad transfer, or at least that was expected to be the case. But that doesn’t disprove what you’re saying about timing and being precluded from being subject to the cut-off dates. Guess we’ll find out for sure in the coming weeks.

Free transfer as in not deadline locked. It is dictated only by when you actually file your graduation paperwork, not by a specific deadline on paper as long as you are there before the drop-dead date to actually enroll for Fall classes.

This type of player movement will only drive interest in college sports further down. We saw the same thing w/ the one and dones.  It sounds like it's such a great idea, but part of the allure of college sports (or sports in general) is watching players grow, earn their time, and become great.  You get to KNOW the names of the players on most teams. Other than UNT, how many of you know any players on any other teams anymore. I grew up knowing the starting five for every Big East and ACC team. Ratings and attendance are dwindling across the board!

• Upvote 7

Free transfer as in not deadline locked. It is dictated only by when you actually file your graduation paperwork, not by a specific deadline on paper as long as you are there before the drop-dead date to actually enroll for Fall classes.

It looks like they are still subject to the portal entry cut off dates. Even if they haven’t officially graduated or submitted graduation paperwork, they still have to enter their name in the portal by the cutoff dates to obtain immediate eligibility per this document.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

576D2BAC-1851-415F-8A12-60327C3C64CD.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news (updated with story): UNT source confirms KD Davis has entered transfer portal

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47mv53elt0y5qu41adsp        Bennett's defense is toast.     

He's going to have to put together his best-ever coaching season to get our defense to even resemble anything like we had last year.   Thankfully we're strong up the middle on the line with Brown & Jackson.  Those guys are going to have to control the LOS & clog any interior running lanes, because they have virtually nothing behind them at MLB or Safety to clean up anymore.  

Sorry y'all, but you don't lose Dion Novil, Caleb Colvin, Gabe & Grayson Murphy, KD Davis, Makyle Sanders, & Tyreke Davis, and expect to have the same success as last year.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1