Jump to content
  • North Texas vs. UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds

Let me be very clear here regarding Seth


Recommended Posts

I'd take Graham Harrell back. Especially after a year with Neal Brown's offensive philosophy. 

He and Mason were the two biggest reasons for our success under Littrell. He'd be close to home and family and you better believe our QB development will be top notch. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

I'd take Graham Harrell back. Especially after a year with Neal Brown's offensive philosophy. 

He and Mason were the two biggest reasons for our success under Littrell. He'd be close to home and family and you better believe our QB development will be top notch. 

This is just said out of familiarity.     There are so many better options out there.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

It has to be a name that attracts attention from the media, fans competition and alumni!!! 

Attention will come if people believe the guy has potential to win, right?  The higher that potential, the more attention.  I read that over and over, however, and it seems so subjective.

I personally hope we give Colby Carthel a hard look this next round.  Also would like to know more of who's out there.  I feel very out of touch with anything outside of Denton right now.  Compared to what I knew 5+ years ago.

  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If Seth is replaced it will have to be with a recognizable name. Bringing in an assistant or an FCS coach will not be an option. It will have to be a coach with a reputation that can attract players ($2.5m) and only have a small NIL. 

Totally this!  

We can't compete in NIL against $mall private$.   

Thus, we need a Name coach to lure recruits, fans, donors, and media.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ADLER said:

What did WKU do when faced with a similar situation two years ago? What did USC do last year? How long did they wait into the season before making a change?

Wow well did it work out for WKU? Do you think USC will see improvement this season?

 

All good questions. Based on his past actions  I don’t think Ween would fire Seth during the season.  He prefers to wait and evaluate after the season is over.  Last year was a good example for that philosophy as Seth reeled off 5 straight and beat a top 25 team.

the only scenario I can envision where Seth would be fired during the season would be if he just lost the tea

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, Cobbs is a Dabo Swinney type hire.   Assistant that is well liked by the players, etc. He loves it here, understands what he’s up against but has the personality and energy to work through everything and promote the program. He could put together a strong staff and just be a head coach/CEO type. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Totally this!  

We can't compete in NIL against $mall private$.   

Thus, we need a Name coach to lure recruits, fans, donors, and media.

Did you miss the part earlier this offseason where the most Name coach possibly in all of college football was complaining about not being able to compete with the NIL of certain other teams? One of those teams happens to be trying to pick up our All-CUSA linebacker from the portal as we speak.

With the current landscape of college football, I’m with @greenminerthat we need a Carthel type who has won with less at all levels. Someone that wants to be at UNT and can win with whatever talent is available to him regardless of if SMU and the P5 steal our all conference players.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

To me, Cobbs is a Dani Swinney type hire.   Assistant that is well liked by the players, etc. He loves it here, understands what he’s up against but has the personality and energy to work through everything and promote the program. He could put together a strong staff and just be a head coach/CEO type. 

I love me some #43 but I don’t think Pat is ready for that step yet.

I mean, would you hire Tashard Choice as our next head coach and hope he gets the right assistants? It seems better to grab a guy that has at least run the offensive or defensive side of the ball a little while.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

With the current landscape of college football, I’m with @greenminerthat we need a Carthel type who has won with less at all levels. Someone that wants to be at UNT and can win with whatever talent is available to him regardless of if SMU and the P5 steal our all conference players.

A guy like Carthel will WANT it to work, and figure it how.  Need recruits? Find an ace recruiter.  What the hell is NIL? Hire a guy who knows.

Does the idea of learning on the job seem off-putting to you? I agree, but I'm equally frustrated by a guy who had a winning formula at one place just setting up shop here and assuming his formula will work in Denton.  Then he doesn't know what to do when it fails.

This job has become so complicated.  It's not about having a guy that can do it all.  It's about having a guy that will surround himself with the right people.

  • Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Did you miss the part earlier this offseason where the most Name coach possibly in all of college football was complaining about not being able to compete with the NIL of certain other teams? One of those teams happens to be trying to pick up our All-CUSA linebacker from the portal as we speak.

With the current landscape of college football, I’m with @greenminerthat we need a Carthel type who has won with less at all levels. Someone that wants to be at UNT and can win with whatever talent is available to him regardless of if SMU and the P5 steal our all conference players.

Sorry, we can't compete in NIL with an SEC school, so yes, Saban was right, it's buy-a-player at A$M.   But we can compete with FBS schools in name recognition in a head coach, and must.  Sorry again, but Carthel is not that.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, greenminer said:



This job has become so complicated.  

Yeah but Bill Clark at UAB took a program that was completely shut down and built it back up into a powerhouse.

The UNT job is not complicated.  It’s one of the easiest jobs in FBS quite honestly.  We just cannot ever hire the right guy.  In the past it was about money and that has evidently not changed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I love me some #43 but I don’t think Pat is ready for that step yet.

I mean, would you hire Tashard Choice as our next head coach and hope he gets the right assistants? It seems better to grab a guy that has at least run the offensive or defensive side of the ball a little while.

No, I would not hire Choice. I said Cobbs and he is the only one I would consider under my example above for the reasons I listed. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

It’s one of the easiest jobs in FBS quite honestly.

I'm not convinced, and my own honest belief is sustained success at the G5 level is exceptionally rare/hard, and Denton is a perfect example why.  Hard to unpack, but the following things come to mind that make Denton very unique

- Denton culture.  Hippies.  Apathy.  Teachers College.  Whatever you want to call it.  It has not caught up to our spending/investment from within the AD
- in-state competition.  Texas alone has 12 FBS schools.  More if you reach up to OK or across to LA.  Exponentially more when you start going down to FCS and beyond.  What other part of the country is similarly football concentrated as much as North Texas (region) is?
- old SWC stereotypes.  Generations of people across our region programmed to think CFB is about these old schools, and they don't make room to consider UNT.  This manifests itself across divisions.  Plays into the mentality that other G5s such as Houston/SMU don't give us a whif.  All these stereotypes bleed through the people that are driving things financially.
- DFW fickle fans.  If you aren't contending for 'ships, they will show you how little they can care.

In a nutshell: all these things equate to TONS of potential, but also tons of turnover.  Things change/evolve fast, which makes finding a fit extremely difficult.

I will say this: I like where we are positioned longterm.  I think eventually, whenever the SL era ends, we will be a strong position moving forward to never have to suffer for this long again.

OT, but I will mention that some of this is why we really need to appreciate what we have in Grant.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm not convinced, and my own honest belief is sustained success at the G5 level is exceptionally rare/hard, and Denton is a perfect example why.  Hard to unpack, but the following things come to mind that make Denton very unique

- Denton culture.  Hippies.  Apathy.  Teachers College.  Whatever you want to call it.  It has not caught up to our spending/investment from within the AD
- in-state competition.  Texas alone has 12 FBS schools.  More if you reach up to OK or across to LA.  Exponentially more when you start going down to FCS and beyond.  What other part of the country is similarly football concentrated as much as North Texas (region) is?
- old SWC stereotypes.  Generations of people across our region programmed to think CFB is about these old schools, and they don't make room to consider UNT.  This manifests itself across divisions.  Plays into the mentality that other G5s such as Houston/SMU don't give us a whif.  All these stereotypes bleed through the people that are driving things financially.
- DFW fickle fans.  If you aren't contending for 'ships, they will show you how little they can care.

In a nutshell: all these things equate to TONS of potential, but also tons of turnover.  Things change/evolve fast, which makes finding a fit extremely difficult.

I will say this: I like where we are positioned longterm.  I think eventually, whenever the SL era ends, we will be a strong position moving forward to never have to suffer for this long again.

OT, but I will mention that some of this is why we really need to appreciate what we have in Grant.

You make some very valid points.  Although NT Football can have down years (like the past 3 years), we are in a geographic area that allows quick recovery with the right head coach (which we don't currently have).  Similar to Smut's situation, good and awful phases recently. 

I do think our lack of SWC membership stigma is finally starting to fade.  The Big?12 continues to morph and with each change the old SWC glory days becomes more fuzzy.   Next year we join Smut in a conference.   Also same with Memphis, again.  We have reached another level, even as bad as we have been.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Tell a friend

    Love GoMeanGreen.com? Tell a friend!
  • What's going on Mean Green?

    1. 25

      Ten days out until kickoff

    2. 25

      Ten days out until kickoff

    3. 25

      Ten days out until kickoff

    4. 25

      Ten days out until kickoff

    5. 25

      Ten days out until kickoff

  • @UTEP

    • Days
    • Hours
    • Minutes
    • Seconds
  • Popular Contributors

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      14,992
    • Most Online
      1,865

    Newest Member
    Reed C. Smith
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.