Let me be very clear here regarding Seth

If he gets us to another bowl game this season he will not be fired.  UNT has NEVER fired a coach who led them to a bowl game and @Wren sure as hell won't be the first one to do it.  Way to risky now that he is pulling down $750 G's a year.  Am I happy about that no but I am realistic enough to know how things work around here.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 14
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

UNT has NEVER fired a coach who led them to a bowl game and @Wren 

We really need to do away with historical trends in Denton.  We are in a vastly different environment with our spending and administrative interests compared to previous generations.

I think momentum will play a part in Wren's decision.  If we win a bowl game (I don't think we will be, but I'll play along), I think we have to be finishing a 3+ game win streak for SL to feel safe.  On the contrary, if a bowl win brings our last 4 games to 1-3, SL should be sweating.

Wren is always so positive about our athletics, which is great, but it has made it very hard to read where he stands on SL.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1

I dont think schools in UNTs position can afford to wait until the end of the season to fire a coach.  With recruiting, transfers, and the NIL, I think you need to have next seasons coaching system in place by Thanksgiving, because thats when everyone starts looking around for next season. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

We really need to do away with historical trends in Denton.  We are in a vastly different environment with our spending and administrative interests compared to previous generations.

I think momentum will play a part in Wren's decision.  If we win a bowl game (I don't think we will be, but I'll play along), I think we have to be finishing a 3+ game win streak for SL to feel safe.  On the contrary, if a bowl win brings our last 4 games to 1-3, SL should be sweating.

Wren is always so positive about our athletics, which is great, but it has made it very hard to read where he stands on SL.

I hope you are right.  Your analysis is very balanced and it should be the criteria for bringing him back.   Highly unlikely he hits that positive late season streak IMO especially with 5 of starting front 7 from defense last year gone now.  The DB room has been the weak link under Seth most of his tenure.  I hate to imagine both major parts of the defense struggling all year.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Good post.  I agree 100%

13 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

If he gets us to another bowl game this season he will not be fired.  

As we have seen first hand in sending losing teams to Bowl games...Bowl qualification is not always a sign of strength of program.  Wren knows there needs to be a change.  Glad you are not the AD.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I hope you are right.  Your analysis is very balanced and it should be the criteria for bringing him back.   Highly unlikely he hits that positive late season streak IMO especially with 5 of starting front 7 from defense last year gone now.  The DB room has been the weak link under Seth most of his tenure.  I hate to imagine both major parts of the defense struggling all year.

PB is earning my trust.  I understand your points though; they def have merit.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, drex said:

As I have said before, Seth does not want to be here.  This will be a death march this fall.

Such a weird card to play.

I've had jobs to do that I didn't want to work, but I did them anyways.  The difference here is, the burden is on SL to totally fake out 80+ student-athletes who are itching to see whether you are sincere or not.

If SL is half-assing this job, he's fooling a ton of people that have incredible insight.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, drex said:

As I have said before, Seth does not want to be here.  This will be a death march this fall.

If this was true he wouldn't have changed our offensive philosophy in the middle of the season last year. He would have simply kept letting Aune throw us out of games, get fired, and collect the remainder of his contract. 

• Upvote 2

If Seth is replaced it will have to be with a recognizable name. Bringing in an assistant or an FCS coach will not be an option. It will have to be a coach with a reputation that can attract players ($2.5m) and only have a small NIL.  I saw were Sprouts is doing an NIL program for women in the Big12 and PAC12. We finally had a chance to be on equal footing with SMU going to the AAC, that has been blown out of the water with the NIL.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

If Seth is replaced it will have to be with a recognizable name. Bringing in an assistant or an FCS coach will not be an option. It will have to be a coach with a reputation that can attract players ($2.5m) and only have a small NIL.  I saw were Sprouts is doing an NIL program for women in the Big12 and PAC12. We finally had a chance to be on equal footing with SMU going to the AAC, that has been blown out of the water with the NIL.

UTSA is laughing at this. 

• Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

If there is a homerun hire standing at our door, and he is an assistant/FCS guy, you'd rule him out? Not even consider him?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

If there is a homerun hire standing at our door, and he is an assistant/FCS guy, you'd rule him out? Not even consider him?

Yes, 2 years ago no, but things have changed dramatically. It has to be a name that attracts attention from the media, fans competition and alumni!!! A coach with a successful history on a D1 stage. With the transfer portal and NIL money there will be no time for on the job training. I can’t imagine how hard it will be to recruit with a loosing record in the AAC.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1