DRC exclusive: Grant McCasland becomes UNT's first $1 million basketball coach

• 8 months later...
15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He gone. Already talked on Monday 😞 

Maybe. He hadn't signed a contract with Tech yet and this new contract he signed with us makes it a LOT more expensive for Tech to get him. 

The old buyout was 40% of his $600,000 base while the new buyout is $1.5 million if he leaves before July. To match us it's going to cost Tech a minimum of $2.6 million. Tech certainly can pay that, but Mac is no longer the bargain he was on Monday. 

If Tech does take him, NT just got a nice bonus $1.5 million! 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Maybe. He hadn't signed a contract with Tech yet and this new contract he signed with us makes it a LOT more expensive for Tech to get him. 

The old buyout was 40% of his $600,000 base while the new buyout is $1.5 million if he leaves before July. To match us it's going to cost Tech a minimum of $2.6 million. Tech certainly can pay that, but Mac is no longer the bargain he was on Monday. 

Thanks for spelling that out.  Much appreciated!

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2022 at 12:20 PM, NT80 said:

Well deserved.   No need for a new $90 mil arena (save the money for a Real football coach!!), the SuperPit is a great venue, just needs some tweaks.  

I think that’s the problem. Renovations would cost more than just building a new arena. 

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

So if he goes to Tech we get a CBI championship, NCAA game win, many conference championships, and possibly an NIT championship. Oh ya $1,500,000.

Hope he stays but not mad at all if he is gone. 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I think that’s the problem. Renovations would cost more than just building a new arena. 

OSU's arena is from 1938, but has been modified probably several times.  I agree we need some upgrades, like suites, for our (new or existing) building.  

The main issue, besides renovations, is the University control over scheduling for the SuperPit.  It is not exclusively a Sports venue.   Even if we do build a new "ExtraSuperPit", I do not think the current SuperPit will be demolished or renovated.  It is needed, as is, for other activities and graduations.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NT80 said:

OSU's arena is from 1938, but has been modified probably several times.  I agree we need some upgrades, like suites, for our (new or existing) building.  

The main issue, besides renovations, is the University control over scheduling for the SuperPit.  It is not exclusively a Sports venue.   Even if we do build a new "ExtraSuperPit", I do not think the current SuperPit will be demolished or renovated.  It is needed, as is, for other activities and graduations.

It's gotta be referred to as the "Super Duper Pit", right?

• Thanks 1