Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Mason Fine proud of Indigenous roots

Mason Fine can tell you about his place on this Saskatchewan Roughriders team.

70c8fc80

But on this National Indigenous People’s Day, he’s especially proud of his background.

Fine is a member of the Cherokee Nation in Oklahoma.

Growing up, Fine says he was well-supported by his community. It was when he entered college at the University of North Texas that he first realized how important his Indigenous identity was.

“In college, I became aware of how unique and how awesome it was and that developed a passion into being a role model and being someone in the community who can represent the state of Texas and Oklahoma and my hometown and Cherokee Nation,” Fine said.

“That’s when I became aware of how much of an impact I wanted to make in the future.”

During his time in college, Fine received an overwhelming amount of support from the Cherokee Nation back in Oklahoma. They made and sold shirts, covered him in newspapers and praised him throughout social media.

“They really brought more awareness towards the Indigenous community and culture which was awesome.”

Fine says those college experiences prepared him for his time in Saskatchewan.

Read more:  https://globalnews.ca/news/8938312/roughriders-quarterback-mason-fine-indigenous-roots/

• Upvote 2