Interesting article here.  Lots of factors at work to drive prices up, but the salient point of the article, in my opinion:

"To review, Biden’s position on oil refining is that new refineries should not be constructed, the ones that exist should be regulated with increasing stringency if not closed down, and even if they do stay in business, they shouldn’t be allowed to make too much money — but please do me a solid and refine more oil, or else."

Even all they ever wanted had a problem

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, LongJim said:

Interesting article here.  Lots of factors at work to drive prices up, but the salient point of the article, in my opinion:

"To review, Biden’s position on oil refining is that new refineries should not be constructed, the ones that exist should be regulated with increasing stringency if not closed down, and even if they do stay in business, they shouldn’t be allowed to make too much money — but please do me a solid and refine more oil, or else."

Even all they ever wanted had a problem

I get what you are saying and god knows filling up my truck is painful.  My only thing is can't the guy be given a chance to adjust his stated policies and be allowed to make a smooth transition?  He's clearly trying the best he can to address the gas prices and I think we should give him a chance to right the ship before demanding he step down.  Why can't the oil companies give in a little bit here for the sake of the country?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1

b8416c99-0ca1-41cf-b0c4-050518eb47aa_tex

I will say that I think pausing the federal gasoline tax would be a mistake. The cost savings for the average family would be negligible. You’d be talking less than $4 per week for each person using 20 gallons per week. There has to be a better way. Don’t throw them a crumb now and expect them to make up the cost of a full meal down the road, don’t bother with the crumb in the first place.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

I get what you are saying and god knows filling up my truck is painful.  My only thing is can't the guy be given a chance to adjust his stated policies and be allowed to make a smooth transition?  He's clearly trying the best he can to address the gas prices and I think we should give him a chance to right the ship before demanding he step down.  Why can't the oil companies give in a little bit here for the sake of the country?

All of this (sans the pain of filling up a truck...I just spent $100 on 1 tank!) is laughable.  There's a lot more he can do.
And if you think the oil companies are going to cut profits "for the sake of the country", you're insane.

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

b8416c99-0ca1-41cf-b0c4-050518eb47aa_tex

I will say that I think pausing the federal gasoline tax would be a mistake. The cost savings for the average family would be negligible. You’d be talking less than $4 per week for each person using 20 gallons per week. There has to be a better way. Don’t throw them a crumb now and expect them to make up the cost of a full meal down the road, don’t bother with the crumb in the first place.

Completely agree.  Again, on my $100 tank, I'd be saving ~$3.26 with this "tax holiday".   I'd rather pay $60 like I was a few months ago!
The amount isn't significant enough to "relieve" the citizens/consumers, but losing out on all of that income, with the way government spending is already out of control, he'd be cutting off a huge chunk of government income for however long it would be enacted.  A very short-sighted move if he does it.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Just wondering since JB campaigned on trying to eliminate the oil industry (at least in America since he seems to be OK letting other countries drill) and he constantly bad mouths' and vilifies Oil execs if maybe he should put out he olive branch first? Also, we need more refining capacity. There need to be incentives to build new refineries, not so much red-tape it's not worth the effort. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He's trying to clean up the environment. It's our #1 existential threat. We have to get these gas guzzlers off the road. It's the best way to clean up the environment. I mean look...even corp America is on board:

It's all about the environment and GM is just another example of how morally superior corporate America is finally getting. They don't care about money anymore...they care about Mother Earth. It's really inspirational.

I’ve read that for the time being hybrids are the greenest vehicles you can drive until they clean up the power production mix.

• Upvote 4

That's definitely what we needed here, another national review op-ed about muh gas prices.

It's funny that any time people complain about rent, or groceries, or just getting by, the answer from conservatives is always to make adjustments to their lives and work their way out of their own problems. So here's a thought: don't like gas prices? Move closer to your job. You can't? Find a job that will let you work from home. Get rid of your 18mpg Suburban or F150 and stop living with an 80 mile round trip commute every day. Stop living in god awful exurbs where every neighborhood is designed for a car and not walking. Go for a nice walk to Tom Thumb instead of spending $100 to fill up that oversized vehicle. Get a bike. $5 fuel prices are future, no new refineries have been built since the 70's, and we're not going to build any new ones under any administration because we're boiling the earth into being unlivable.

MEANWHILE this is what 40% of your city tax dollars go.

uvalde cops.webp

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

That's definitely what we needed here, another national review op-ed about muh gas prices.

It's funny that any time people complain about rent, or groceries, or just getting by, the answer from conservatives is always to make adjustments to their lives and work their way out of their own problems. So here's a thought: don't like gas prices? Move closer to your job. You can't? Find a job that will let you work from home. Get rid of your 18mpg Suburban or F150 and stop living with an 80 mile round trip commute every day. Stop living in god awful exurbs where every neighborhood is designed for a car and not walking. Go for a nice walk to Tom Thumb instead of spending $100 to fill up that oversized vehicle. Get a bike. $5 fuel prices are future, no new refineries have been built since the 70's, and we're not going to build any new ones under any administration because we're boiling the earth into being unlivable.

MEANWHILE this is what 40% of your city tax dollars go.

uvalde cops.webp

I agree with you on the future of gas prices and it is disgusting that those officers let more children die needlessly. As far as the old pull yourself up by the bootstraps argument, you are comparing a few houses being flooded by a water main break to half the country being flooded by an historic tsunami. Same problem but a problem with a far greater reach affecting a tremendously larger number of people. Yes it would be better for all of us to drive more fuel efficient vehicles but that isn’t always feasible either because of work/family demands or cost. Based on the tweet you shared, I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that living in the city of Austin where the average home goes for around $700k is cost prohibitive for a family of 4 making the national median household income. Most average folks have no choice but to live in Kyle, Bastrop, or Hutto type communities in central Texas.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

As far as the old pull yourself up by the bootstraps argument, you are comparing a few houses being flooded by a water main break to half the country being flooded by an historic tsunami.

The tsunami has been here for a while. If it's just now reaching your neighborhood, consider yourself lucky.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

The tsunami has been here for a while. If it's just now reaching your neighborhood, consider yourself lucky.

I was just trying to make the point that the situation isn’t just hitting a certain part of the population, it is hitting essentially everyone. 

• Upvote 1