Top 5 UNT Rivals in new AAC Conference?

Jonnyeagle

On 6/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, Hunter Green said:

For me it's

Smut  Nutsak, Tulsa, UAB and Memphis.

Let's throw in LA Tech as a regular OOC opponent.

I don’t think we need to keep playing Sun Belt teams myself.  I wish them no ill will but all they will do is talk about hey we have a better record against the AAC and crap like that.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

I really see some potential with Tulane.  First we have a lot more in common with them academically than say a UTSA or that type of school.   Sort of a battle of the green type of theme.  I also think they have a ton of DFW and Texas alumni who will be interested to coming to Denton for the games which is nice.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 4
  • Oh Boy! 1

17 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I really see some potential with Tulane.  First we have a lot more in common with them academically than say a UTSA or that type of school.   Sort of a battle of the green type of theme.  I also think they have a ton of DFW and Texas alumni who will be interested to coming to Denton for the games which is nice.

Tulane is not in any way a natural rival to NT. They would be a natural rival to Rice perhaps but they have much different academic standards than us and are too far away to be a rival. Plus we have barely played them. 
If we are going to strive to have a rival that is academically out of reach I would suggest Rice since they are in-state foes. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Seems that most consider SMU to be the #1 rival. With the Mustangs as the home opener, will it be a sellout or just a full house?

Well it is a 6:30 start time, that helps. Will they consider 9 dollars and 40 cent tickets. lol

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Seems that most consider SMU to be the #1 rival. With the Mustangs as the home opener, will it be a sellout or just a full house?

If we beat UTEP, this game could have some real build up (are the students back?).  If we lose, I don’t really know what the crowd will look like for the home opener.  SMU typically doesn’t travel well. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

UNT: we don’t want to host July 4th anymore

Denton: ok, we’ll move it to the park

UNT: why doesn’t Denton like us anymore?

There are about 50 similar examples I can name off the top of my head. As someone who went to UNT not from the area but now makes their permanent residence in Denton, I’m just saying, unlike most college towns, UNT is actively fighting at Denton at every turn.

It’s like they’re bitter they aren’t in Frisco or something.

I live here too and don’t see it as adversarial, more like a long married couple that are unhappy but stay together for the kids.  The fact is you can’t have one without the other and both sides know this.  Sadly the City chooses to work against UNT instead of with them in my experience.

Edited by cousin oliver
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1