Tulsa AD Rick Dickson on AAC expansion

This was a good listen.  Interesting points made by Dixon, he thinks the scheduling will be 8conf -4non conf format for the forseeable future.  Said they want to keep contracts already in place with Oklahoma State, OU and Arkansas.  Mentioned Memphis would want to keep Ole Miss.  Spoke highly of NT and the new additions and that adding the Texas and Florida teams would bolster the presence and recruiting in those states.

• Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

I was wondering about the schedule. Right now Memphis and SMU are on our schedule for 2023 as noncon... does that mean we have 2 fresh new dates opened up ?

Yes they would stay on as conf games starting next season I believe and it should open up 2 new spots.  I just wonder how hard they are to fill on such short notice.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This late there might not be too many choices. Watch it be UTEP and LaTech

I have a feeling SHSU will be on line one...now that they are moving up to CUSA. Hell, RV would have us play them down there ASAP if he was still here.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

I was wondering about the schedule. Right now Memphis and SMU are on our schedule for 2023 as noncon... does that mean we have 2 fresh new dates opened up ?

We're getting messed-over here with Memphis though since we have a home/home scheduled with them, but we're only playing them on the road as part of that agreement.  After that, they'll be conference mates, so we'd be playing them anyway.  That basically makes it a one-time away game... which usually comes with a price.
Hopefully we can work out some kind of small "buyout" of the 2nd scheduled return game with Memphis, while guaranteeing the 1st game between us is played at Apogee.   I wonder if maybe Wren/Neal used that as a carrot to garner Memphis' support during the shuffle ("Hey Memphis, we'll just tear up this agreement and play you as an away game in 2022 if you lobby us in...").

We started the SMU home/home series back in 2014 at Apogee.   We've alternated each year, and now we're going to play the final game of that series here at Apogee.   So I would not be surprised to see us start conference play against SMU next season at Ford.   
And I suppose SMU could demand the same kind of small "buyout" from us to square up the series with them 😕...

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Maybe we can keep one of our old CUSA teams on the schedule that isn’t leaving like LaTech and UTEP.

LAtech UTEP or SHSU isnt bad.... Theyll all bring fans. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I still would like to see home and their home with the MWC! Now being in the AAC maybe we can get this!

You mean like UNLV and Wyoming  already on our schedule?

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

Hopefully we'll now be able to play SMU much later in the season with something on the line.  Have enjoyed the series, but never really liked it as the first or second game of the season.

No offense meant, but most SMU fans would like us to keep your game at the beginning of the season like it has been in the past.  We prefer to play teams like Memphis at the end as those games typically will determine who wins the conference.  Now if they decide to get rid of divisions it's possible we won't even play every year.  You have to keep in mind, a lot of the AAC teams want to get games in DFW because it helps their recruiting.  So there will be a big push to remove the divisions or at least allow for some games between the two.   It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, mustangfan said:

No offense meant, but most SMU fans would like us to keep your game at the beginning of the season like it has been in the past.  We prefer to play teams like Memphis at the end as those games typically will determine who wins the conference.  Now if they decide to get rid of divisions it's possible we won't even play every year.  You have to keep in mind, a lot of the AAC teams want to get games in DFW because it helps their recruiting.  So there will be a big push to remove the divisions or at least allow for some games between the two.   It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

To be fair, you guys have been skunking us lately under Dykes, but SMU isn't exactly world beaters yet. We're 1 good QB and a WR who didn't eat a handful of KFC before the game away from being pretty close. We've all seen how a single season can swing things in the past couple years. 

1 actual coach and a QB and we could be a big player in AAC spoiler mode.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1