DRC: UNT makes move to American official

Brett Vito

I wish we had fewer C-USA teams going with us.  It's going to do the same thing for the American's perception as it did for C-USA when they backloaded with Sun Belt teams and startups.  UAB, Rice, and us would be fine, IMO.  Maybe add LaTech instead of one of the others.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an upgrade.  But it's a diluted upgrade.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

10 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I wish we had fewer C-USA teams going with us.  It's going to do the same thing for the American's perception as it did for C-USA when they backloaded with Sun Belt teams and startups.  UAB, Rice, and us would be fine, IMO.  Maybe add LaTech instead of one of the others.

I think that was the original plan and then they decided to just wrap up Texas and not leave anything behind for the Mountain West to add.  Just my opinion but seems to make sense.  Remember, Houston used to be Cougar high and faced all the same prejudices we have faces in prior years and now they are looking pretty good.  their time in C-USA and American played a part in that.  It's a very good opportunity but it is up to us on where it goes from here.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

only team of the 6 that is questionable would be FAU, but they are better in some of the other sports. Charlotte is solid in most sports with a good history. Careful throwing stones in our glass athletics' house. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

Our football program is a mess, but I don't think we need to worry about glass housing.  AAC commish has gone on record saying we were a solid choice, specifically highlighting that we were the only school among these new members that is already demonstrating the level of financial commitment they expect.

IMO, we can stand proud about our invitation

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think the AAC was very smart to add us, UTSA, and Rice. That kept the MWC from getting into markets to compete in Texas. If the MWC wants UTEP or Texas State, they are welcome to them, but they know that these two schools provide no value at all to them. And UAB, Charlotte, and FAU were no brainers, too. I would have considered MUTS and ODU, as well, but I get why they stopped where they did.

La Tech will be stuck in CUSA for a long time. Their fans will get to see ULM above them from a conference prestige standpoint--oh how the mighty have fallen.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

I think that was the original plan and then they decided to just wrap up Texas and not leave anything behind for the Mountain West to add.  Just my opinion but seems to make sense.  Remember, Houston used to be Cougar high and faced all the same prejudices we have faces in prior years and now they are looking pretty good.  their time in C-USA and American played a part in that.  It's a very good opportunity but it is up to us on where it goes from here.

The CUSA we were in had Louisville, Cincinnati, Army, TCU, etc.

I mean, you can only play whoever is on your schedule but UNT has a more uphill battle to get to a P5 conference.

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1