DRC (updated): UNT's move to the American moving forward, school expected to depart C-USA next summer, join new league in July 2023

Brett Vito

This confirms the 3 leaving the AAC will be heading to the B12 after this year

11 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Just in time for a new football coaching staff to come in and hopefully hit the ground running in a new conference, exciting stuff

Should have been done after last season so the new coach would have more time to get ready.

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC: UNT's move to the American moving forward, school expected to depart C-USA next summer, join new league in July 2023
31 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Just in time for a new football coaching staff to come in and hopefully hit the ground running in a new conference, exciting stuff

Exactly what I was thinking given the funds that will be at our disposal from the new TV deal. 

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, Pellom said:

Exactly what I was thinking given the funds that will be at our disposal from the new TV deal. 

It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Wonder how massive of a hit the AAC will take with their TV deal payouts once they turn into CUSA 2.0.  Each school currently gets around $6 million, but not only are they losing by far their 3 most popular teams they are going to go from 11 members to 14 members decreasing the average per school even more.

Big 12 commissioner speculated that losing OU and Texas would cost the remaining Big 12 teams around $14 million of their $28 million annual TV payout..would have to imagine the AAC would be set to lose about the same percentage if not more.  

Still should be a nice step up from CUSA money for us though even if we are only getting around $3 million.

Edited by UNT18Grad
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

Wonder how massive of a hit the AAC will take with their TV deal payouts once they turn into CUSA 2.0.  Each school currently gets around $6 million, but not only are they losing by far their 3 most popular teams they are going to go from 11 members to 14 members decreasing the average per school even more.

Big 12 commissioner speculated that losing OU and Texas would cost the remaining Big 12 teams around $14 million of their $28 million annual TV payout..would have to imagine the AAC would be set to lose about the same percentage if not more.  

Still should be a nice step up from CUSA money for us though even if we are only getting around $3 million.

As you mentioned, the payout in the AAC will be much more than CUSA. And hoping to never play a conference game ever again on Facebook...

• Upvote 4

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated): UNT's move to the American moving forward, school expected to depart C-USA next summer, join new league in July 2023
2 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

I imagine it will drop down quite a bit - but man, not having to play on Stadium and CBS Sports Network is such an added benefit itself. 

I tend to believe UNT (and schools like us) will probably need to strike while the iron is hot in regards to the new TV money because, as you said, it won’t last. This is our one chance to hire a legitimate HC with a track record. Or, of course, to build a new basketball arena or start up a baseball program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pellom said:

I imagine it will drop down quite a bit - but man, not having to play on Stadium and CBS Sports Network is such an added benefit itself. 

I tend to believe UNT (and schools like us) will probably need to strike while the iron is hot in regards to the new TV money because, as you said, it won’t last. This is our one chance to hire a legitimate HC with a track record. Or, of course, to build a new basketball arena or start up a baseball program. 

No recycled P5 coaches

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Have faith in this man

Lights!Camera!Sports! Podcast with AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco - BC ...

Yes.  We are getting a huge upgrade in conference and commissioner!

Unfortunately, we will probably be limping into it in full rebuild mode with a new football coaching staff.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No recycled P5 coaches

I’ll take that any day over an unproven assistant coach. 

Pay for previous success. I’d be looking at a certain former TCU coach who is down in Austin right now. 

Whoever is our next coach…and I am still very sadly preparing myself for the fact that this weak ass schedule probably gets SL another 3 years here…I just want it to be someone who gets along with our fans and with TX HS football coaches. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I’ll take that any day over an unproven assistant coach. 

Pay for previous success. I’d be looking at a certain former TCU coach who is down in Austin right now. 

Whoever is our next coach…and I am still very sadly preparing myself for the fact that this weak ass schedule probably gets SL another 3 years here…I just want it to be someone who gets along with our fans and with TX HS football coaches. 

Just my opinion, but when there thoughts last year a change might happen I really believed then, and syill do now, SFA's Colby Carthel would be a great coach for UNT.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

4 hours ago, akriesman said:

I am confused as to why this is big news.    I thought we were always expected to join the AAC in 2023 along with the other 5 ?

2023 was the preliminary expectation, but there was nothing formal/official about it.  It appears this timeline is now official.

...The only question was when those schools would officially make the move. The timing came into focus on Friday morning when the American announced that it has reached an agreement with Central Florida, Cincinnati and Houston on a date for their departure for the Big 12.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:46 AM, Pellom said:

Ironically our “terrible” tv deal is the only reason I get to watch the games overseas since they are all online. 

• Upvote 5

On 6/10/2022 at 10:41 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

This confirms the 3 leaving the AAC will be heading to the B12 after this year

Should have been done after last season so the new coach would have more time to get ready.

Exactly, no purpose in bringing Seth but to bet against the his trend here.  A declining passing game ever since Mason Fine graduated.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Has anyone found out how much SoMiss, Marshall and ODU settled to leave and what happens to that money?  Does any of it get distributed to the remaining members?  

Looks like Cincinnati, Houston and UCF have two payment schedules.  $10M over four years and another $8M over 12 years.  What does the conference do with that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3

I know I will get a lot of hate here-but can we afford to pay our players what other AAC teams will be paying.   We know SMUT has deep pockets.   Can we compete in the AAC in FB?  I am ecstatic that we get to say good bye to Judy and her outstanding leadership skills. I know we can compete in BB but FB is the concern. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, southsideguy said:

I know I will get a lot of hate here-but can we afford to pay our players what other AAC teams will be paying.   We know SMUT has deep pockets.   Can we compete in the AAC in FB?  I am ecstatic that we get to say good bye to Judy and her outstanding leadership skills. I know we can compete in BB but FB is the concern. 

Who is we?

I guess you are referring to fans who might fund NIL deals.  By rules, the team/college can have nothing to do with NIL negotiations or payments.  

Sure there will be a lot of involvement by schools under the table, now that agents are apparently involved; I expect the worse.

SMU will be getting the same conference distribution as NT, a gigantic improvement over the old imbalance from that source.  As far as supporters funding NIL programs,  NT has many times the number of alums as SMU.  It is foolish to believe that all SMU alum are just richer.   See the many Ryan references on this board.  

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2