Will Littrell circle the wagons like Dickey?

Jonnyeagle

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Another either/or proposal that should never be an either/or proposal.

Perhaps but as great as Hall and Co. were, Attaway/Bridges was pretty bad and that is on the coach just as it is with us right now and our less than desirable quarterback play.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

But Littrell has been in a conference of FBS spares and startups. Just because it has the name "CUSA" doesn't mean it doesn't fit that description. Littrell has been in the worst conference in the nation his tenure here. Worse than the Sunbelt.

The Belt came up after we left it. CUSA isn’t and hasn’t been close to what the early Belt was. Would you call UAB, LaTech, Marshall, or Kiffin’s FAU teams spares? That is not what happened in 2000/2001. It would be the equivalent of us joining the Wac minus the Bearkats.

• Upvote 4

On 6/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, greenminer said:

You think Dickey circled the wagons because he was losing?

Dickey spent his entire tenure battling RV, low budget, and an anti-football administration.

SL spent his entire tenure in Apogee, with Baker, the highest budget in CUSA, and all the administrative support one could dream of.

Are we sure we have the highest budget in CUSA?

• Upvote 2

On 6/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, greenminer said:

You think Dickey circled the wagons because he was losing?

Dickey spent his entire tenure battling RV, low budget, and an anti-football administration.

SL spent his entire tenure in Apogee, with Baker, the highest budget in CUSA, and all the administrative support one could dream of.

On 6/7/2022 at 9:44 PM, Cr1028 said:

If only Littrell were lucky enough to have us drop into a conference of FBS spares and startups. 

So sick of this pointless debate.  Until Seth leads a NT football winning whatever conference we are in and a bowl game no one should trying to be comparing him favorably to Dickey.  A Bowl appearance are win are FAR easier achievements to reach today that in 2000-2005 FBS landscape.  Startup Sun Belt?  Granted but who cares?  There isn’t an asterisk on those rings, trophies or memories.  

Seth record against newer FBS programs /restarts

Charolette 0-2

ODU            1-1

UAB.            1-3* the win a 3 point victory UAB’s first year back

He has a good record against UTSA.  That and beating up on old established G5 powerhouses like UTEP & Rice keeps him employed.  

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

On 6/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, emmitt01 said:

I traveled to those away games.  NONE of those stadiums (not even Malone in Monroe) were the dump that Fouts was.   And, unless I missed them as I drove through the parking lots, there weren't portable generators brought in just to keep the lights on...and that is saying nothing of the locker rooms.   Remember the time we turned the lights off in the Baylor locker room, not because we wanted to but because we literally lost power?   

Or, how about the time the athletic department gave away a bus trip to Austin to see us play...but had to take the fans off of that bus to put the players on it because the players' bus broke down?   I do, because I was on that fan bus.   

We can keep trotting the fan fiction of "but he played in 5-3A the whole time" out all we want, but what we can't do is ignore that nobody else in that league of "start ups and leftovers" managed to put together a similar run in that league.  Somehow, even with the 10 combined NFL draft picks that came from those schools between 2001-2004, they didn't do what lil' ol' North Texas did.     

And, can we please gather the guys like Brandon Kennedy, Patrick Cobbs, Jonas Buckles, Andy Blount, and Johnny Quinn and tell them, directly, "Guys, you only won because the teams you played were so incredibly bad."  

Q: And if we told them that in person what would happen? 

A: Nothing

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Enough time has passed that I can enjoy Dickey's achievements at UNT despite the stunt he pulled on the way out the door. I had some great times during that 26-game conference winning streak. Seven of his players went on to be in the NFL and one who didn't -- Booger Kennedy -- is one of our all-time greats. There's also Andrew Smith, who quarterbacked the team to a bowl win over Cincinnati. I wonder what he could've gone on to do both in his final two seasons and the rest of his life.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, rcade said:

Enough time has passed that I can enjoy Dickey's achievements at UNT despite the stunt he pulled on the way out the door. I had some great times during that 26-game conference winning streak. Seven of his players went on to be in the NFL and one who didn't -- Booger Kennedy -- is one of our all-time greats. There's also Andrew Smith, who quarterbacked the team to a bowl win over Cincinnati. I wonder what he could've gone on to do both in his final two seasons and the rest of his life.

Yep. I think the most fun I have ever had at a North Texas game would be the ‘01 beating of the MUTS, beating Baylor at Fouts and the NMSU game that clinch the NOLA Bowl. So much fun. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, ttunt1970 said:

The problem I had with Dickey, he didn't like it here or the fans. He somehow thought the job here was beneath him and was trying to go elsewhere almost from day 1.

you mean Dickey acted just like the current coach and results are not much better even though millions more $$$$ spent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

If my job was on the line I would have hired a qb coach but I don't think SL job is on the line.

I dont necessarily think his job is on the line... going into the season going into the season expectations are not very high, the team will probably be somewhere around .500, might even make it to a bowl.  Also with moving into a new conference next year, I dont think they want to bring in a new coaching system right away.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

you mean Dickey acted just like the current coach and results are not much better even though millions more $$$$ spent. 

Despite 4 straight conference titles, nobody else was interested in Dickey, only a few of his assistants. P5 schools were after Littrell from the start until the KState debacle and it has been P5 open season on his assistants the entire time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Despite 4 straight conference titles, nobody else was interested in Dickey

This seems to come up every now and then, and has some merit.

With all the success, however, that he has enjoyed since Denton as an as an offensive assistant/coordinator, I still wonder why more people didn't give him a hard look.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, greenminer said:

This seems to come up every now and then, and has some merit.

With all the success, however, that he has enjoyed since Denton as an as an offensive assistant/coordinator, I still wonder why more people didn't give him a hard look.

If I had to guess it would be because of the stunt he pulled. Athletic directors, unless you're a very special coach, don't want to have that baggage

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, MrAlien said:

I dont necessarily think his job is on the line... going into the season going into the season expectations are not very high, the team will probably be somewhere around .500, might even make it to a bowl.  Also with moving into a new conference next year, I dont think they want to bring in a new coaching system right away.  

If his job is not on the line after the seasons we have had and the money he is being paid then Wren has really screwed up. New conference or not if we have another .500 season and lose a bowl game the fan support will be even more dismal. The only message that this would send is that the wishes of a couple of top donors are more important than the rest of the fan base.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The only message that this would send is that the wishes of a couple of top donors are more important than the rest of the fan base.

When the MGSF people are saying they basically have only 1k donors (I feel like I've heard this a few times recently), I'd only pay attention to the deeper pockets too.

Hopefully I'm misunderstanding the 1k active donors number?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If I had to guess it would be because of the stunt he pulled. Athletic directors, unless you're a very special coach, don't want to have that baggage

That stunt was his last game, right? I was thinking more about the last 1 or 2 years of the Sun Belt title run.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, greenminer said:

That stunt was his last game, right? I was thinking more about the last 1 or 2 years of the Sun Belt title run.

easy they looked at his OOC record, DD beat the sisters of the poor, but did nothing in OOC. Why would a bigger school bring in someone who could not get the team up for OOC games. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Last home game and they still let that clown coach the last away game even after that stunt.

As I recall he had some health issues that were pretty serious and RV fired him anyway, maybe while he was still recovering or even in the hospital?  I remember that Mattress Mac got plenty pissed off about it and threatened to pull his million dollar donation from us.  Not saying what DD did was right but he was plenty sick and angry at the time and probably felt betrayed by how it played out.