Recruiting

Are you surprised recruiting isn't better?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Are you surprised recruiting isn't better?

• Yes
    • No
    • Where I expected

Are you happy with it? Did you expect it to be better by now?

Let me clarify a little. Grant is a excellent coach and has taken mainly JC players, a few good HS recruits and won us some CUSA Championships, CBI Title, hosted and won a NIT game and won NCAA tournament game, but with that kind of success over 4-5 years I thought he would be getting a better class of recruits/transfers.  Don't get me wrong, Javon, Simmons, Abou, Bell, Rubin, Perry, etc.... are good CUSA players but were moving up a class next year and so should our recruiting. Grant can coach them up better than they come in, but now I think instead of getting good CUSA level players we should be getting multiple first team all CUSA players and UFAs.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

2017-2018  
Umoja Gibson  
Roosevelt Smart  
Zach Simmons * signed NLI during early period w/ T. Benford
Tope Arikawe  
Michael Miller  
Mark Tikhonenko  
Jahmiah Simmons  

2018-2019  
Larry Wise  
Jorden Duffy  
Abdul Mohammed  
J.J. Murray  
Shakeem Alcindor  

2019-2020  
Jalen Jackson  
James Reese  
Deng Geu  
Javion Hamlett   
Thomas Bell  

2020-2021  
Rubin Jones  
Terence Lewis II  
Abou Ousmane  
Mykell Robinson  
Mardrez McBride  

2021-2022  
Aaron Scott  
Matthew Stone  
Chrisdon Morgan  
Hameir Wright  
Tylor Perry  
Deon McKeon  
Bryce Zephir  
Rasheed Browne  
ARSH MATTU  

2022-2023  
Moulaye Sissoko  
Jayden Martinez  
Tyree Eady  
Kai Huntsberry  
Dajuan Wagner Jr  
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Some would probably be disappointed with the number 1 recruit in the nation.

I really don't see how anyone can genuinely question McCasland's recruiting.   He or anyone else at NT is highly unlikely to ever sign a 4 star ranked player.  The conference and the school just don't measure up in terms of prestige and support. 

Add McCasland, defense first game and it is even more less likely to happen.   

I strongly suspect the one school in the current CUSA that does occasionally recruit above the conference level buys players and that was before NIL.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I really don't see how anyone can genuinely question McCasland's recruiting.   He or anyone else at NT is highly unlikely to ever sign a 4 star ranked player.  The conference and the school just don't measure up in terms of prestige and support. 

You don't think 3 straight seasons of CUSA and CBI titles, plus an NCAA win over Purdue, plus an official AAC membership, would inspire some level of recruiting upgrade?  You think we hit our ceiling before all of this, because of perceptions of CUSA/UNT?

I don't think anyone is calling for 4*, but concerns are warranted when we have continued to struggle to establish anything beyond a 6-7 man rotation to compete in CUSA.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

You don't think 3 straight seasons of CUSA and CBI titles, plus an NCAA win over Purdue, plus an official AAC membership, would inspire some level of recruiting upgrade?  You think we hit our ceiling before all of this, because of perceptions of CUSA/UNT?

I don't think anyone is calling for 4*, but concerns are warranted when we have continued to struggle to establish anything beyond a 6-7 man rotation to compete in CUSA.

I have less concerns about McCasland than any NT coach.   As far as recruiting,  neither you or I  have any idea how good these recruits will turn out.   Hamlet and Reese were nether highly recruited players.   

OK, why do you think McCasland can't sign whoever you think is the proper level for a team with all the accolades you describe?   You have dismissed the conference, which by the way is considered by most to be the biggest factor in recruiting. 

As far as playing basically a 7 player rotation, that is a coach's decision.   I am not so sure it is because the bench beyond 7 players is incapable.  

However, it is my current belief that McCasland plays the very strict rotation because he wants a lot of development time and familiarity between the first group of players.  I don't see him ever going to a big rotation of players.   

Because of NT's slow pace of play, NT seldom has big leads to allow liberal substitutions.  Even in the few blowouts, NT only went beyond the basic 7 players for a few minutes at the end of games.  

• Upvote 3

The question is, or should be, general to any coach, at any school, in any sport, at any level. Take Grant McCasland and North Texas out of the equation for the moment; as not to confuse anyone who may think the topic  is a criticism. 

If a school or professional franchise advances annually in record and title(s), is it reasonable to expect greater interest from “perceived” higher caliber players; to your program/franchise? 

Again, not a knock at all on past recruiting or draft history of the guys you built your team around to win. Your program should be more attractive to those recruit(s) / free agent/ pretty girl that wouldn’t date you previously. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Cooley’s humor is low-key.  It’s his commentary on the topic.  
The #1 recruit in the nation would be quite the “jump” in recruiting, if you ask me! 😂

I had a strong sense he was pulling our legs but I wanted so badly to believe. Like Santa Clause and the Easter bunny were real again. I even thought to myself "just maybe" because his dad went to Memphis when they were in CUSA so the connection is there! Come home, DJ!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Cooley said:

The question is, or should be, general to any coach, at any school, in any sport, at any level. Take Grant McCasland and North Texas out of the equation for the moment; as not to confuse anyone who may think the topic  is a criticism. 

If a school or professional franchise advances annually in record and title(s), is it reasonable to expect greater interest from “perceived” higher caliber players; to your program/franchise? 

Again, not a knock at all on past recruiting or draft history of the guys you built your team around to win. Your program should be more attractive to those recruit(s) / free agent/ pretty girl that wouldn’t date you previously. 

I agree with this sentiment in general but it's difficult to gage with inconsistent recruiting services setting the bar for what a recruit is. The important thing to me would be is coach winning the recruiting battles he wants to win? Is he identifying the guys he wants and getting them more often than not? Tough to evaluate with basketball because there just isn't much recruiting info out there for us little guys until a player commits or signs. IMO the issue with football has often been being relegated to picking up what's left. With the continued success we've seen in basketball, I'd imagine McCasland is doing just fine in getting what he wants.

That said, it would be nice to see a 4 star commit.

• Upvote 3

I’m very excited about the Martinez and Eady signings.  Martinez has been an all-conference player and is an excellent three point shooter.  He will garner much more attention on the outside than Bell and that should open up Abou.  Eady is a great defensive player with good size for a guard at 6’5” and also an excellent three point shooter.  Sissoko should be a good backup for Abou ensuring that we can have a big in at all-times if we want.  Interested to see who we get with the last scholarship. Hoping for a guard that can drive and finish.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I have less concerns about McCasland than any NT coach.   

And he has earned that.  I was addressing your statement about questioning McCasland's recruiting.

As far as recruiting,  neither you or I  have any idea how good these recruits will turn out.

No, but we can look at the level of recruits at time of signing and assess the trajectory of recruiting.

OK, why do you think McCasland can't sign whoever you think is the proper level for a team with all the accolades you describe?   You have dismissed the conference, which by the way is considered by most to be the biggest factor in recruiting. 

I don't dismiss the conference.  It doesn't take a scientist to understand that we aren't going to sign every kid we want from a pool of talent that is likely going to the B12 or ACC.    What I think is reasonable is, if we are targeting pools of kids that are likely going to CUSA/AAC/Sun Belt, then showing kids we have 3 titles and 3 straight years of postseason wins should increase our chances of filling needs with our top choices, vs. telling kids "hey wanna come in and start right away and maybe compete for a title/postseason?"

As far as playing basically a 7 player rotation, that is a coach's decision.   I am not so sure it is because the bench beyond 7 players is incapable.  

However, it is my current belief that McCasland plays the very strict rotation because he wants a lot of development time and familiarity between the first group of players.  I don't see him ever going to a big rotation of players. 

I felt pretty strongly that our late season losses factored a heavy dose of exhaustion.  When you have an 8th and 9th guy you can rely on to relieve minutes, you won't have the toll that I felt our main guys endured as we approached 25+ games.

I can't think of any strategic advantage to only using 7 guys if you have 2 or 3 more that could come in and offer variety/depth? Is there some scenario out there where a proven roster from top to bottom still only uses 7 guys, because the coach wants "familiarity between the first group of players?" Coaches want depth and flexibility.

So, no, I don't have any concerns about Grant in CUSA.  I simply "question his recruiting" if we want to compete for AAC championships too.  I have questions, that even after 3 straight championship years, we are still going to need Grant to get these fighters to punch well above their weight if we want another CUSA title.  If you didn't understand how it could be questioned before, I hope I spelled it out well enough for you.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, greenminer said:

And he has earned that.  I was addressing your statement about questioning McCasland's recruiting.

No, but we can look at the level of recruits at time of signing and assess the trajectory of recruiting.

I don't dismiss the conference.  It doesn't take a scientist to understand that we aren't going to sign every kid we want from a pool of talent that is likely going to the B12 or ACC.    What I think is reasonable is, if we are targeting pools of kids that are likely going to CUSA/AAC/Sun Belt, then showing kids we have 3 titles and 3 straight years of postseason wins should increase our chances of filling needs with our top choices, vs. telling kids "hey wanna come in and start right away and maybe compete for a title/postseason?"

I felt pretty strongly that our late season losses factored a heavy dose of exhaustion.  When you have an 8th and 9th guy you can rely on to relieve minutes, you won't have the toll that I felt our main guys endured as we approached 25+ games.

I can't think of any strategic advantage to only using 7 guys if you have 2 or 3 more that could come in and offer variety/depth? Is there some scenario out there where a proven roster from top to bottom still only uses 7 guys, because the coach wants "familiarity between the first group of players?" Coaches want depth and flexibility.

So, no, I don't have any concerns about Grant in CUSA.  I simply "question his recruiting" if we want to compete for AAC championships too.  I have questions, that even after 3 straight championship years, we are still going to need Grant to get these fighters to punch well above their weight if we want another CUSA title.  If you didn't understand how it could be questioned before, I hope I spelled it out well enough for you.

Most of us can't judge recruits better the coach that recruits them.   

No your answer did not provide me with any more insight, I am sure that is my problem. 

Again, McCasland recruits players that fit his defense first maximum effort style.   A lot of the type of recruits that many covet are not going to buy in to a slow paced defense first and second type of basketball.  

Most top players play big minutes and would be upset if they did not.   So I doubt that hurts recruiting.  

You think, wrong in my view, that McCasland plays limited players because he doesn't have capable players beyond seven.  Despite what some have expressed, I don't think McCasland signs players to sit on the bench.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Despite what some have expressed, I don't think McCasland signs players to sit on the bench.

I spend way too much time on this board, and don’t remember anyone suggesting Grant signs players to sit on the bench.

what has been said is, he signs players and sits them if they don’t play defense.

it sounds like you’re not going to relate to my viewpoint.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Some would probably be disappointed with the number 1 recruit in the nation.

Add McCasland, defense first game and it is even more less likely to happen.   

I strongly suspect the one school in the current CUSA that does occasionally recruit above the conference level buys players and that was before NIL.   

Just to play devil's advocate to some of your points. In my opinion Johnny Jones recruited better than Grant has and we were in a lesser conference.  Also, the defensive first strategy is a deterrent in my opinion too, but Texas Tech has been able to recruit at the top of their conference with the same style as us.

I think we can do better than this  and I think Grant thinks so too, just look at the players he sends offers too the last few seasons.  Players he thinks will fit his system and are graded higher than the players that have committed chose other schools, some of those schools are better and some aren't. And I'm not talking about the pie in the sky 4 stars either.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, untbowler said:

no kidding, if only these same fans held FB Coaches to the same standard, imagine that, but at UNT the more success you have the worse the fans treat a coach. 

I think you're missing the point. When a team does better you expect better recruits/recruiting to follow. Littrell's level of recruiting got better when we were doing well in football. And now that we aren't doing well it has dropped off. Grant's seems to be the same or slightly better with what I would call a lot of success and definitely more than Seth had.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Oh Boy! 1