Throwback UNT Band Uniform

12 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

The time Is now!  Bring them back.  GMG!

C06F3253-FBC9-4F96-917F-F431AA0168F5.jpeg

This uniform came after my time but there is an "only at North Texas" story to these.

These uniforms were ordered by Robert Winslow who replaced Maurice McAdow after he retired in 1975. While the photo does not show this very well, the front was the apple green worn by our teams during the Fry era while the reverse side was a darker shade. And of course, the flying worm proudly adorned the front. 

Due to the long procurement and manufacturing cycle, the uniforms arrived about the same time as Fry's departure. The school then abandoned the flying worm and apple green. Not knowing about the worm or the apple green, new students and fans of the football program would then look at the uniforms and say, "WTF?".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

WFT?  How about Dennis Fisher's purchase of red uniforms with dark green (that looked like black from a distance)?  I thought it was a visiting band the first time I saw them...also, they had red drums at one time.  A branding nightmare.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

This uniform came after my time but there is an "only at North Texas" story to these.

These uniforms were ordered by Robert Winslow who replaced Maurice McAdow after he retired in 1975. While the photo does not show this very well, the front was the apple green worn by our teams during the Fry era while the reverse side was a darker shade. And of course, the flying worm proudly adorned the front. 

Due to the long procurement and manufacturing cycle, the uniforms arrived about the same time as Fry's departure. The school then abandoned the flying worm and apple green. Not knowing about the worm or the apple green, new students and fans of the football program would then look at the uniforms and say, "WTF?".

Fry was AD and coach at NT from 1973 thru 1978.   He originated the use of the Flying Worm as the official NT Athletic logo in 1973 and it continued to be used until NT dropped to 1-AA for the 1983 season, when the athletic logo was changed.  It should be returned as the official logo!

Fry also originated the use of the Tiger Hawk logo at Iowa when he became coach there in 1979.  It continues as their official logo.   

As for the band, I believe they started using the Flying Worm band uniforms in 1976, as this article indicates they anticipate them coming in for the Fall football season then....

high_res

36 minutes ago, drex said:

WFT?  How about Dennis Fisher's purchase of red uniforms with dark green (that looked like black from a distance)?  I thought it was a visiting band the first time I saw them...also, they had red drums at one time.  A branding nightmare.

We do perhaps the most inept job of branding in college sports. We have an incredible opportunity with Mean Green and continually blow it. Emphasize the Mean Green and use green and white and cut out the other colors especially the freaking Gray

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree.  I like the gray but it only goes well with forest green IMO.  Personally, I don't care for the black either.  It's very hard for me to read the numbers with green on black.  Even harder to read the name.  Why not just stick to the registered colors.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

We do perhaps the most inept job of branding in college sports. We have an incredible opportunity with Mean Green and continually blow it. Emphasize the Mean Green and use green and white and cut out the other colors especially the freaking Gray

Truer words have never been spoken. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

Love it!  Willis Library?

They are standing directly in front of one of the practice buildings.  There is a north building and south building.  I spent more time in music practice north than any other place/building/bar in Denton.  I know that view even after nearly 20 years after graduating.

My guess is, they are standing directly in front of Music Practice South, on the sidewalk that approaches Avenue C at an angle.

• Upvote 2