The Power of G5 NIL

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Y’all should sue the hell out of them for what they did to y’all back in the 80’s. I mean y’all were way ahead of the NCAA—like 40 years…

• Upvote 5

On 5/26/2022 at 2:44 PM, DentonStang said:

Why support a team you love when you should just support the one with the most money now.... Right? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, texx2818 said:

SMU is a school for rich kids who—if they were ever challenged by their parents—should be going to an Ivy or Rice. Instead they are hanging out at SMU, pretending they’re at Harvard, and learning how to declare Chapter 11.

SMU is for rich kids?  Guess I'll tell my parents that were public school teachers in rural East Texas that they're rich!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, SMU2006 said:

SMU is for rich kids?  Guess I'll tell my parents that were public school teachers in rural East Texas that they're rich!

Look, you're the exception to the rule...and you know it.

SMU has a lot of cash, always have, always will. What they don't have is a lot of fans. They need to get Dallas to desperately adopt them like TCU has had with FW for decades now. The problem is that Dallas has teams they already cheer for and there is no civic connection there like FW has with its unique city.

SMU is using three things to its advantage right now and its genius. They have cash to pay, a smaller college in North Dallas to enroll in that has great business ties nationally, and they play in a good conference for the G5. They will be able to make their way for a while as long as money is a big factor to help with recruiting.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Look, you're the exception to the rule...and you know it.

SMU has a lot of cash, always have, always will. What they don't have is a lot of fans. They need to get Dallas to desperately adopt them like TCU has had with FW for decades now. The problem is that Dallas has teams they already cheer for and there is no civic connection there like FW has with its unique city.

SMU is using three things to its advantage right now and its genius. They have cash to pay, a smaller college in North Dallas to enroll in that has great business ties nationally, and they play in a good conference for the G5. They will be able to make their way for a while as long as money is a big factor to help with recruiting.

Not the exception by any means.  Am I naïve enough to think that a lot of SMU kids come from affluence?  No.  But that can be said for any university.  Most of my running buddies were from middle class (or lower middle) families that made college a priority instead of the ski trip or a new F-150 every year.   

SMU student body isn't any different than TCU, Baylor, Tulane, etc.  Its what you get with a private school.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

Like I said I'm not ignoring that there is a significant amount of kids at SMU that come from money.  My point is that it certainly isn't something that you won't see at any other major private institution in the country.  

Most of the inner circle were from working class families that were able to afford SMU b/c of scholarships, grants, etc.  

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, texx2818 said:

SMU is a school for rich kids who—if they were ever challenged by their parents—should be going to an Ivy or Rice. Instead they are hanging out at SMU, pretending they’re at Harvard, and learning how to declare Chapter 11.

What a strange take.

So SMU is full of kids that have the mental horsepower to go to Ivy schools. 

What do UNT kids have the mental horsepower to do?

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I think SMU has upped their academic game somewhat in the past 5-10 years but it is not and never will be Rice.  It also depends on the major.  In engineering, business and especially law SMU is top notch and nationally ranked.

On the other hand I think you can argue that the education at UNT for the amount spent is a pretty good value given that the NT tuition is close to what a student might spend at a community college like El Centro or TCJC. 

NT is a good choice if money is an issue and you aren't worried about things like rankings and starting salary. For example, the lady who catered our Memorial Day gathering just yesterday was a proud NT graduate and she seemed very much on the ball.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

20 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

I could’ve gotten into SMU but realized it’s not worth it because it’s a subpar private compared to what you could get from a school like Rice, which I did not get into. So at that point I went to my public choice, UNT. That’s really my point, SMU is like a shitty version of Rice.

$2b endowment, Top 60 UNSWR, and upper tier graduate programs through Cox and Dedman Law.

SMU isn't Rice but its better than Baylor, TCU, etc. by a healthy margin.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

All public schools give the same undergrad education. Arguing undergrad public school rankings or whatever you want is pointless. 

This really is true. The biggest benefit of choosing a top school are the connections you make. It's always been who you know, not what you know.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

36 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

All public schools give the same undergrad education. Arguing undergrad public school rankings or whatever you want is pointless. 

So is arguing starting salary.  None of my employers ever looked at the school I attended and adjusted my salary either way.  It was basically known prior to interviewing and posted with the position.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I like how UNT fans have this weird, rabid unhealthy, one-sided obsession with SMU. Give it up, UNT has no in-state rival or any rival for that matter. Even UTSA's in-state rival is Texas State.

SMU's rival always has been and always will be TCU.

UH on the other hand, only thinks about SMU when there's a game against them that week.

• Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 2

23 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

I like how UNT fans have this weird, rabid unhealthy, one-sided obsession with SMU. Give it up, UNT has no in-state rival or any rival for that matter. Even UTSA's in-state rival is Texas State.

UH on the other hand, only thinks about SMU when there's a game against them that week.

And Houston’s rival is…Rice???

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Probably a lot of truth to that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

34 minutes ago, texx2818 said:

For a guy who talks a lot about not thinking about UNT, you spend a lot of time here, meat loaf.

SMU’s boomer crew was ready to go independent over having to share a conference with us. Not sure is very “one sided” to me.

I don't necessarily think it was just sharing a conference with UNT.  Some of the other additions (Rice, Charlotte, et al) were real headscratchers.  There was no need to add six when losing three.  It was shortsighted and irrational by Aresco.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, texx2818 said:

For a guy who talks a lot about not thinking about UNT, you spend a lot of time here, meat loaf.

SMU’s boomer crew was ready to go independent over having to share a conference with us. Not sure is very “one sided” to me.

Please be careful here, Meat Loaf was one of us!

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2022 at 9:29 AM, SMU2006 said:

I don't necessarily think it was just sharing a conference with UNT.  Some of the other additions (Rice, Charlotte, et al) were real headscratchers.  There was no need to add six when losing three.  It was shortsighted and irrational by Aresco.

jackie GIF