Softball portal update - 6 more

Eagle71

More yesterday:

First Name Last Name Date Entered Division Previous School Previous Conference New School
RAYNA LEWIS 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
ASHLYN WALKER 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
KARSYN ILTIS 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
MEAGAN YOUNGMAN 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
SHELBY MCHUGHES 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
RYLAN DOONER 05/24/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA  
JANIE WORTHINGTON 05/17/2022 I University of North Texas Conference USA
  • Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

Lewis - INF (Soph)

Walker - C (Soph)

Iltis - RHP (Fr)

Youngman - OF (Jr)

McHughes - OF (Fr)

Donner - INF (Fr)

Lookin' for playing time.  Word on the street is that we have several quality players coming to Denton, including transfers.  Playing time is going to be tough to come by next season.

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Worthington entered the portal???? Yikes

That is a big surprise, she was supposed to be the best player on the team before her injury.  Walker started most of the year, but became an offensive liability.  Lewis was a starter before injury, but was highly unlikely to win her position again over Simon. 

Those and the others, I bet were pushed toward the portal to make way for better players.   

Not pretty, but a consequence of a partial scholarship sport with very limited ships.  

Good luck to all.

• Upvote 1

Looking through the list of players in the portal, these are the conclusions I came up with.

Rayna Lewis: So IF; played in four games this year but didn't start in any after playing heavily her freshman year.

Rylan Dooner: Fr IF; played in 22 games/starting 11.  Hit .162 and didn't see much PT after Donohoe returned.

The starting infield returns and is pretty young with Donohoe are only one that will be a senior next year.  We will also have Callahan returning from knee surgery.  She was our staring SS her first two years on campus so DeLong will have to balance playing time between her and Simon.  Sophomores Smith and Gamble have the right side of the IF locked down.

Meagan Youngman: Jr. OF; played in 5 games with 0 starts.  Hit .000 with only four official plate appearances.  

Shelby Mc Hughes: Fr. OF; played in 14 games with 0 starts.  Hit 1.000 going 2-2 on the year.

The starting outfield also returns and is extremely young with Fr. Sidney Ingle settling in to LF, the team's leading hitter by average (.397) Sophomore Lexi Cobb in CF and RS Soph Molly Rainey in RF.

Ashlyn Walker: So C; lost playing time late to Kalei Christensen who moved to C from LF and played extremely well.  I would guess DeLong is moving Christensen to C full time and Walker is looking to start elsewhere.  This could hurt depth, but we do have Jr. Karina Falkstrom returning as the backup C.

Janie Worthington; So P; made five appearances with one start early in the year before getting injured.  This could be a big loss, but with Peters and Savage returning, she probably wants to be the ace of a staff.  This one hurts.

Karsyn Iltis; Fr P; made one appearance and got rocked with a 99.00 era, although that can really be skewed by one bad outing.  Evidently was also injured early in the year.  Came to UNT with great HS stats but witnessed the emergence of Savage and probably is looking for playing time as well considering Peters and Savage return along with UAB transfer that was injured, Jaycee Cook.

I am not concerned as DeLong knows what he is doing and this is probably something we will just have to get used to moving forward.

• Upvote 3