Marketing/Licensing

At last week's softball game, I saw a cap, worn by a fan, that I would buy several of. Simple in design, but very sharp. It was a white cap with green bill and the battle flag displayed on the front. I inquired where I could get several and I was directed to a website, Last Stand Hats. I perused the website, expecting to find an array of UNT hats and apparel. What I did find, amongst the usual suspects, smu, Rice, Texas, etc, was Sam Houston St. and Tarleton St., but NO North Texas! I emailed a rep from the company and he told me that the licensing company that we use was too restrictive and would not work with them on design, so they made a business decision and no longer make North Texas gear! You can sure get SHSU and Tarleton St stuff though. Hey, FFR! Sound familiar? What a joke that after all these years, we still can't get UNT stuff to the general public unless you live in Denton. Did I mention I saw an Idaho Vandals cap in a gas station in Ft. Worth not long ago? Ridiculous. 

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Hunter Green said:

At last week's softball game, I saw a cap, worn by a fan, that I would buy several of. Simple in design, but very sharp. It was a white cap with green bill and the battle flag displayed on the front. I inquired where I could get several and I was directed to a website, Last Stand Hats. I perused the website, expecting to find an array of UNT hats and apparel. What I did find, amongst the usual suspects, smu, Rice, Texas, etc, was Sam Houston St. and Tarleton St., but NO North Texas! I emailed a rep from the company and he told me that the licensing company that we use was too restrictive and would not work with them on design, so they made a business decision and no longer make North Texas gear! You can sure get SHSU and Tarleton St stuff though. Hey, FFR! Sound familiar? What a joke that after all these years, we still can't get UNT stuff to the general public unless you live in Denton. Did I mention I saw an Idaho Vandals cap in a gas station in Ft. Worth not long ago? Ridiculous. 

This is something that should be forwarded to Baker as well.  It is ridiculous and has gone on for way too long.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

It extends to even members of the school. When I was in Army ROTC at North Texas they would give us so much trouble for trying to use anything North Texas related on our shirts or in our building. Merchandise has long been frustrating and disappointing. 

• Upvote 5

I have good news fellers! After a few emails and phone calls, it looks like our friends at laststandhats.com is back online with UNT hats, polos, etc. Good folks who really wanted our business and was able to overcome our cumbersome licensing process. They have the battle flag hat which I'm going to order.

Go Mean Green - Softball!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:15 PM, Hunter Green said:

I have good news fellers! After a few emails and phone calls, it looks like our friends at laststandhats.com is back online with UNT hats, polos, etc. Good folks who really wanted our business and was able to overcome our cumbersome licensing process. They have the battle flag hat which I'm going to order.

Go Mean Green - Softball!

This is great news. Let’s reward them with their determination in working through the process with our business. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wardly said:

Texas State has 10 items for sale on Last Stand Hats, SFA 7, UTSA 6,SHSU 3. UNT has one.

They didn't have anything until a few days ago thanks to our lame licensing agreement/partner. I was told there'd be more items (polos) on the way soon.

• Upvote 4

This has been a problem for years. The fact UNT denied Homefield, the vintage apparel company, shows they have no interest in growing the brand. Luckily there are some new faces in the athletic department that want to steer UNT in a modern direction, like Taylor Bryan, but it's incredibly sad to see the lack of representation we have with such a strong hold on alumni numbers in the area. Need some new faces in the athletic department to comprehend to the new age of college athletics.

This is unacceptable, especially considering we are heading to a new and stronger conference that has way more national value.

I had a massive 20 page thread about this topic on my twitter last summer, some of my points I made, like investing in the creative department and social media, have vastly improved. Small steps in the right direction, but things like this piss me off to another planet. 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

This has been a problem for years. The fact UNT denied Homefield, the vintage apparel company, shows they have no interest in growing the brand. Luckily there are some new faces in the athletic department that want to steer UNT in a modern direction, like Taylor Bryan, but it's incredibly sad to see the lack of representation we have with such a strong hold on alumni numbers in the area. Need some new faces in the athletic department to comprehend to the new age of college athletics.

This is unacceptable, especially considering we are heading to a new and stronger conference that has way more national value.

I had a massive 20 page thread about this topic on my twitter last summer, some of my points I made, like investing in the creative department and social media, have vastly improved. Small steps in the right direction, but things like this piss me off to another planet. 

The athletic department and the school as a whole simply don't want to invest the time needed in order to grow our brand through fresh and exciting merchandise. They just pawn it off to the licensing company who in turn makes it impossible for companies like Last Stand and Homefield to produce anything worthwhile.  

I'm sick of seeing Wren Baker and Co. get on Twitter and tell fans there's nothing they can do because they're not in the retail business. It's disingenuous because they continue to allow our licensing company hold ALL of our branding hostage while failing to utilize Apogee, Super Pit, and bookstore to sell team issue gear. 

Maybe things will start to change now that people are bitching more than ever, but I'm not holding my breath...

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1