DRC: NCAA removes 25-player limit for signing classes for two years

Brett Vito

Perfect time for a new coach to come in and shape the roster to be competitive immediately in the AAC.

If I'm Wren I'm hiring a new guy ASAP, unless Littrell wins a conference championship. Littrell won't be proactive enough with this, just like the portal, and just like the NIL.

Get a coach in who will abuse the ever living crap out of the portal/NIL/no signing limit and build the best team possible.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

58 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This is gonna be nuts.  The big schools like Bama, Texas, Ohio State, etc., are gonna kick their underperforming scholarship players to the curb, and refill with proven players from G5s and lesser P5s.  The portal will be even crazier.

I believe P5 conferences do not allow scholarships to be taken away

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

"The Football Oversight Committee will monitor transfer trends over the next two seasons, anticipating that coaches will attempt to run off players to replace them under these new rules. That committee will then be able to make a determination on what to do with initial counters after the waiver expires."

https://theathletic.com/news/college-football-25-initial-counter-rules/1Z0lztonTBTr/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You never quit,do you?

How do you know that the players LIttrell have signed out of the portal are not players that will significantly help?  I think thus far that Littrell has played the portal very well.  

Compared to his contemporaries? He's a joke, and even complained about it on a podcast recently.

I would love for all the transfers to make immediate impacts here, but with his track record, I'm not optimistic.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I believe P5 conferences do not allow scholarships to be taken away

https://informedathlete.com/the-facts-about-guaranteed-multi-year-ncaa-di-scholarships/

Interesting new rule change, have to see how it works out. 

In the olden days, scholarships were for four year; but there was lots of turnover.  Players were run off routinely, that might not be so easy now because of the litetous nature of sports that now exists. 

• Eye Roll 1

Something tells me this is just an opportunity for the power schools to lock up more talent to keep it from playing for the competition. I could see a lot of “NIL boosters, go grab that 30th best player too now so he doesn’t end up facing us in conference next year”.

Edited by Cr1028

If the cap is still set at 85, teams will not be able to scholarship players just to tie them up.  They may indeed run players off to allow them to bring in more than 25 in a given year, but that could be dangerous if the waiver does not go past two years.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

This is gonna be nuts.  The big schools like Bama, Texas, Ohio State, etc., are gonna kick their underperforming scholarship players to the curb, and refill with proven players from G5s and lesser P5s.  The portal will be even crazier.

Sad to say that this is exactly what will happen.

Somewhere Lane Kiffin and Lincoln Riley are going like this:

episode 7 monty burns GIF

If ever there was a moment for a blueblood to hire Kiffin back to a alpha place, this must be it, he is tailor made for those new rules.

It-ll be initially tough on folks who built on consistency like Dabo Sweeney and to some degree also Nick Saban (but he will adjust), but I doubt Brian Kelley or Jimbo will have any qualms doing exactly that. If they want to improve, then UT cannot change fast enough away from players who are too entitled out of high school to those who learnt how to work somewhere else in order to change culture. Together with the transfer rules there will be very few who will get schollies out of high school at the big schools. They will be wanting them to cut their teeth somewhere else first and take those who persevere and succeed at proving their talent on the college field. By essentially foregoing Freshmen, you are going down from a 4 year cycle to something more of a 2-3 year cycle, which (combined with transfers out and folks leaving for the draft) means they'll need to sign something like 35-40 players a year to get to their 85. Its only a question of time until somebody (and I mean blueblood, below it will happen maybe even quicker) will have a year where they will sign 45 or even 50.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

It's an eff'in' free for all and the best part is Saban crying about A$M taking advantage of the situation.  Basically, he just indirectly told the Bama boosters to step up.

Then again, he has never mentioned this.

https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It's an eff'in' free for all and the best part is Saban crying about A$M taking advantage of the situation.  Basically, he just indirectly told the Bama boosters to step up.

Then again, he has never mentioned this.

https://totalfratmove.com/tfm/alabama-football-is-the-best-car-dealership-in-the-country/

No one in the SEC will be able to match A$M money. I see USC as being the major competitor for recruits. They can offer the $ and a hell of lot better life style environment. Beaches and babes!

• Confused 1