Patience was the strategy……

I’m just so tempered after Jace. I love all these kids and want them to succeed in Green but performance under pressure is a whole nuther ballgame. 🏈 And with college football games being so finite you don’t have time to learn on the job. Not with San Antonio soaring, SMU paying and Memphis, Tulsa, Navy and Tulane coming. 

Looking forward to day one results and steady growth.

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 6

You could add the Kansas city chiefs to our team and I would still remain skeptical with our coaching. Its not the players I have a problem with but they inability to develop the talent. Until the coaches show some sign of life i'll take the "wait and see" approach before congratulating them

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

I was one that was pissed with in the last few weeks not in the beginning. Gunn is a huge momentum changer for me. I hope we have a few more spots available for these kind of quality players. I'M happy to take the kick in the butt! GMG

Well, we're all just a bunch of MF'ers anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, StealthEagle84 said:

So many people were hating on Littrell for not landing big recruits early in recruiting and on (traditional)signing day. But as we all know, these are different times and they call for new ways of doing things. I think Littrell’s patience is paying off. He knew kids would go through spring ball only to find themselves down the depth chart and wanting to move on. Now with scholarships still open, we’re waiting with open arms for kids wanting a fresh start and looking to be on top of the depth chart. I hope this strategy continues to pay dividends and we can continue to land some upgraded talent.  

Tap the brakes, just give a little tap tap tapporooo….

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still not completely buying into the hype. We did this before with Ruder, we did this before with Tommy Bush, etc. and what happened? We ended up being content just hitting 6 then got blown out in yet another bowl game. It's still up to the coaches to coach them up and I still question whether certain offensive coaches are able to do that. I've learned my lesson time and time again with this staff so I'll be a wait and see before I hop on the hype wagon. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wow.   A lot of you guys have forgotten about guys like:
Darius Terrell
Reggie Pegram
Cam Feldt
Alec Morris
Bryce English
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Jordan Rucker
Jace Ruder
Jacob Ferrell
Tommy Bush (TBD)

These dudes were highly-rated transfers from big time P5 programs over the past 10 years when they came to UNT... and did (or have done) virtually nothing.  We had a bunch of other also-ran P5 transfers over the years as well:  Reggie Pegram & Jordan Rucker-types who came from P5's but didn't have the crazy offer lists...  So, for every Marcus Trice (THE ONLY P5 TRANSFER WHO MADE A GAME-CHANGING IMPACT OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!), there are a dozen+ P5 transfer guys who barely did anything.    And then, you have guys like DeAndre Plantin who started a lot, but just underperformed for what his expectations were.

Gunnell not being able to win the Memphis job outright from Henigan (who, admittedly is a fantastic QB) should be a reason for at least a little pause, but some of y'all are full-steam ahead on this guy.   
Same thing with Neville, who was told by a pretty pedestrian Nebraska team that he's not good enough to crack the 2 deep there.  I don't comprehend how y'all can constantly just assume these guys will come here and light it up... history shows they don't.   

I just can't get excited for these kinds of transfers anymore.  Too much heartbreak.   Show me.

This is where I am…show something. Otherwise, it just looks like you’re butthurt about not being able to play at your old school anymore.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm still not completely buying into the hype. We did this before with Ruder, we did this before with Tommy Bush, etc. and what happened? We ended up being content just hitting 6 then got blown out in yet another bowl game. It's still up to the coaches to coach them up and I still question whether certain offensive coaches are able to do that. I've learned my lesson time and time again with this staff so I'll be a wait and see before I hop on the hype wagon. 

Don't forget the hype around Brock Berglund (good lord that was hilarious), Alec Morris and DeMarcus Smith.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

100% 

I'm happy we have used the portal and got 2 guys with great offer lists. However, I don't trust our OC, QB, or HC developing these guys. 

My hope is that they come here and light it up. However, it's hard being optimistic as a UNT fan.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Darius Terrell
Reggie Pegram
Cam Feldt
Alec Morris
Bryce English
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Jordan Rucker
Jace Ruder
Jacob Ferrell
Tommy Bush (TBD)

These dudes were highly-rated transfers from big time P5 programs over the past 10 years when they came to UNT... and did (or have done) virtually nothing.  We had a bunch of other also-ran P5 transfers over the years as well:  Reggie Pegram & Jordan Rucker-types who came from P5's but didn't have the crazy offer lists...  So, for every Marcus Trice (THE ONLY P5 TRANSFER WHO MADE A GAME-CHANGING IMPACT OVER THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!), there are a dozen+ P5 transfer guys who barely did anything.    And then, you have guys like DeAndre Plantin who started a lot, but just underperformed for what his expectations were.

Gunnell not being able to win the Memphis job outright from Henigan (who, admittedly is a fantastic QB) should be a reason for at least a little pause, but some of y'all are full-steam ahead on this guy.   
Same thing with Neville, who was told by a pretty pedestrian Nebraska team that he's not good enough to crack the 2 deep there.  I don't comprehend how y'all can constantly just assume these guys will come here and light it up... history shows they don't.   

I just can't get excited for these kinds of transfers anymore.  Too much heartbreak.   Show me.

EAA5CEF3-854A-4932-8A48-79BDC29A32FA.gif.99416b7589f0bfa39765c2fc0a0c0143.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Patience and GMG.com and like water and oil.

To even be on GMG.com you have to part of the smallest most patient FBS fanbase in Texas short of UTEP & Rice.   I mean with all those winning seasons and big time bowl games we have to be spoiled.  Some are still patiently waiting for a baseball program to get started. 😂

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Don't forget the hype around Brock Berglund (good lord that was hilarious), Alec Morris and DeMarcus Smith.

Think pulling Morris was a mistake. Yes, Mason came to the forefront, but if he could have waited and redshirted I think he would have set records that would never have been touched*.

* Hindsight is 20/20, but if he redshirts, his 4th year is the Covid year and he would have got a full 5th year

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Think pulling Morris was a mistake. Yes, Mason came to the forefront, but if he could have waited and redshirted I think he would have set records that would never have been touched*.

* Hindsight is 20/20, but if he redshirts, his 4th year is the Covid year and he would have got a full 5th year

We win the bowl game Morris is MVP! Big mistake!

• Upvote 2

I am glad he got a few guys with real potential in recently. It creates at least some reason for optimism and for the idea that he may finally get a grasp on the portal. But with all that said, the truth is on the field and he still has to prove he can win a game when it is about a championship.

• Upvote 1

On 5/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Darius Terrell
Reggie Pegram
Cam Feldt
Alec Morris
Bryce English
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Jordan Rucker
Jace Ruder
Jacob Ferrell
Tommy Bush (TBD)

Out of that entire list, Darius Terrell did the most. Bush isn’t a bust yet, I agree.

On 5/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Darius Terrell
Reggie Pegram
Cam Feldt
Alec Morris
Bryce English
Nick Harvey
Dominique Harrison
Jordan Rucker
Jace Ruder
Jacob Ferrell
Tommy Bush (TBD)

I disagree with your premise and many on your list. 

If someone has the time they could make a list of transfers that made a positive difference at NT. 

On the current team for example, Aune is a transfer from Arkansas; good enough to start 2 and probably 3 years, Davis a two year starting in the DB from Texas Tech.  Add in very promising players like Maclin (Missouri) and Jackson (Arkansas).

Pegram at the top of your list, was IMO one of the best RB's ever at NT.  Didn't have the numbers, but a fantastic player; remember NT playing at A&M and how much better Pegram was than their All American Williams. 

Many on your list, played little because of injury or grades not because they were not very talented.  English a prime example. 

Morris was beaten out by arguably the best QB in NT history, Fine.  Ferrell had off field issues.  Many on this list were very highly recruited out of high school like tops in the nation.   I think if I was coach I would give them a second chance, Terrell and Feidt fall into this category. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2