Assuming everyone is healthy what is your starting UNT '22 lineup?

Jonnyeagle

Offense

QB - Gunnels
RB - Oscar
WR - Jyaire
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Kaci

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Carson Kropp
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Offense

QB - Gunnels
RB - Oscar
WR - Jyaire
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Kaci

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Carson Kropp
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

I went through this exercise before I saw your team and came up with the exact same offense. More surprising was the defense was also close with only three differences despite me going with a 4 man front.   Had Roach on dl,  Thompson in place of Crosby and Nakwaash at a safety, no Kropp.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 6

22 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Offense

QB - Gunnels
RB - Oscar
WR - Jyaire
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Kaci

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Carson Kropp
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

Offense

QB - Gunnel
RB - Oscar
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns

HB - Gumms
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Duncan

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Mazin
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Offense

QB - Gunnels
RB - Oscar
WR - Jyaire
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Kaci

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Carson Kropp
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

Give me Maclin over Burns and I will take your roster.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Uncle said:

Offense

QB - Gunnel
RB - Oscar
WR - Tommy
WR - Burns

HB - Gumms
TE - Jake
LT - Brown
LG - Gabe
C - Manase
RG - Daizion
RT - Duncan

Defense

DE - Trieb
NT - Rod
DT - Enoch
Mike LB - KD
Will LB - Kevin Wood
Eagle LB - Faulkner
Devil LB - Mazin
CB - John Davis
S - Keelan Crosby
S - Gaddie
CB - Whitlock

Punter - Bernardo
Kicker - Mooney

If Jyaire is anywhere near 100% healthy, Jyaire starts.

• Upvote 5

I agree with your offense with two changes.  I believe that they will find a place for Jay Maclin to start.  As much as I like Shorter (and I hope he is 100%) I believe that Maclin will be the featured receiver this year.  Bush is the best receiver but likely to draw double coverage.  Burns has earned his position and will have a lot of catches.  The other change is more of an addition than a change.  I believe that we'll run more H-Back formations than TE formations so that Gumms will be another big part of the offense.  

On defense, I hope that we continue with the four man front.  If we do I would remove Kropp.  I had hoped that Hutchings would have been the edge opposite Trieb but he fled for the portal.  I'm hoping that Johnathan Pickett can step up and wear #11.  Trieb wore #9 in JC so I'd like to see the 911 reinstated.

• Upvote 3

I see the talent with Gunnels, but throwing him in as the starter too soon could have the same disastrous consequences as throwing Ruder in too soon. I think Ruder can out perform Aune, especially if he is as cerebral as the coaching staff has led us to believe. It's obvious Gunnels has the preferred physical attributes, but, especially in an air raid system, understanding the playbook is key. That said, and I'm not a person that puts QB height high on my list, but in this case, with his other physical traits, I can see why there is optimism. But he hasn't played a snap for us, and I would start either Aune or Ruder over him on that alone. Watching some film on Gunnels, especially that USC game, he is not afraid to throw it in tight coverage, and while he was accurate, his receivers didn't have the hands. It resulted in one (maybe two? can't remember) INTs. I like strong arm QBs hitting tight windows, but you have to know your receivers capabilities too.

Also, this is all kinda dampened by the fact that we don't have an actual QB coach. We're just trying to reach out to QBs and without a dedicated coach to help them improve their craft. We could bring in a future Brett Farve and it wouldn't matter. This staff has proven they cannot teach/coach QBs.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I see the talent with Gunnels, but throwing him in as the starter too soon could have the same disastrous consequences as throwing Ruder in too soon. I think Ruder can out perform Aune, especially if he is as cerebral as the coaching staff has led us to believe. It's obvious Gunnels has the preferred physical attributes, but, especially in an air raid system, understanding the playbook is key. That said, and I'm not a person that puts QB height high on my list, but in this case, with his other physical traits, I can see why there is optimism. But he hasn't played a snap for us, and I would start either Aune or Ruder over him on that alone. Watching some film on Gunnels, especially that USC game, he is not afraid to throw it in tight coverage, and while he was accurate, his receivers didn't have the hands. It resulted in one (maybe two? can't remember) INTs. I like strong arm QBs hitting tight windows, but you have to know your receivers capabilities too.

Also, this is all kinda dampened by the fact that we don't have an actual QB coach. We're just trying to reach out to QBs and without a dedicated coach to help them improve their craft. We could bring in a future Brett Farve and it wouldn't matter. This staff has proven they cannot teach/coach QBs.

Big difference with Gunn compared to Ruder is the college starts as a true freshman in the PAC 12. Also being named freshman of the week while playing on a poor team is impressive. I hope he just maintains his existing college stats and we will win alot of games. I also believe with us establishing a run game it will not have to be on his shoulders to win.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Uncle said:

HB - Gumms

This guy is flying way under the radar, and I think is going to really break out this season if his QBs can get him the ball.    No doubt Littrell & Bloesch can scheme to get him the ball... it's just about execution from there.

And I'm skeptical that Gunnell can win the job over Aune just being here over the Summer/Fall.   I think Coach Littrell may have learned his lesson last Fall, and will roll with Aune until Gunnell can actually WIN the job from him.

Adding Gunnell and convincing Aune to stick around should be all Ruder needs to see.  I'm surprised he stuck around.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

5 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I do agree that they threw Ruder in too quickly last year.  It really hampered his development.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Adding Gunnell and convincing Aune to stick around should be all Ruder needs to see.  I'm surprised he stuck around.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Ruder.  I will be surprised if Aune starts this year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm not quite ready to give up on Ruder.  I will be surprised if Aune starts this year.

I have not witness Ruders quickness, but if he is that fast and can’t break the top 2 in the qb lineup, I wonder how he would do at an H back position?

• Upvote 1

Those calling for Ruder…umm, did you miss last season?  He has absolutely no feel for touch passes or ability to lead receivers.  Deep throws require both.  He was just not ready for FBS.  Is it possible he improves?  Sure, but we’d have been hearing about it by now.  I’m not holding my breath.  Great kid and leader, and still rooting for him, but I don’t think you see us bringing in so many transfers if the coaches were seeing progression with him or anyone else on the roster.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I don't think Aune just chose to come back on his own without any input from coaches.   He has a family and needs to start making money to support them.   Instead, he chose to return.  He had to have the coaches' backing.   Then, adding not one, but 3 QB transfers this offseason...  just not good optics when looking at Ruder's chances.    And, from everything we've been hearing from Spring Practice, it sounds like Aune has a strangle-hold on QB1.   I will be surprised if he doesn't start!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think Aune just chose to come back on his own without any input from coaches.   He has a family and needs to start making money to support them.   Instead, he chose to return.  He had to have the coaches' backing.   Then, adding not one, but 3 QB transfers this offseason...  just not good optics when looking at Ruder's chances.    And, from everything we've been hearing from Spring Practice, it sounds like Aune has a strangle-hold on QB1.   I will be surprised if he doesn't start!

I agree Ruder’s chances aren’t good. I doubt Littrell expected to get a transfer as high profile as Gunnell when he asked Aune to come back. If Aune starts it will be because he is vastly improved or because it was losing our top 3 receivers that made him look bad last year. I doubt either of those and have my money on Gunnel as the day 1 starter.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

With the addition of Latrell, what are the chances of an empty backfield with 4 wide? We are now stacked with talent in the receiver room! On paper the qb and receiver group are the best that I have seen at UNT! I believe the future in these positions will be the transfer portal and not HS.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1