Grant Gunnell Video

6 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

All I see is bad blocking, receivers who are outclassed by the DB across from them, and an offensive playbook that throws the ball BACKWARDS for some strange reason.  

Still looks better than anything we had last year.  

Agreed we should have a good WR class with Maclin, Bush, shorter, hopefully we see some Caleb Johnson. Hopefully our tackle transfer is a hit. I'd expect defensively to be close to the same. It has always been about QB. We lost multiple games last year because offensively inept 

• Upvote 5

His leadership quality has been mentioned  and you can really see it on the field. For a guy his size,  his presence in the pocket and running ability seem outstanding. On one play you see him really  fighting for the first down.  He looks very polished, to me, on his footwork and throwing motion.  He may not open as the starter, but should be by the 3rd game and having Austin help him out would be a huge plus. I have never seen a UNT qb with his talent at his size. Stay healthy, this could be a program changing addition. GMG 

• Upvote 6

Holy shit Arizona's offense looked bad against USC. He was running for his life most of the video. There were a lot of check downs and quick throws that he was able to complete. I liked how he climbed the pocket and made a few throws as well. 

Man we have a weird QB room. I expect a few more to enter the portal or hang up their cleats by Christmas.

Gunnell- 40 offers out of HS. Played for an FBS school already. Pro size and arm. Based on talent, he should be our day 1 starter.

Aune- 30 years old but very average qb play. Great leadership skills and maturity. Questionable accuracy.

Ruder- number 12 QB in his recruiting class and number 1 player from the state of KS. Very limited production on the FBS level.

Head- backup at a conference rival, but threw for a TD against us. Average play against our conference mates.

Stone- Starter at an FCS school but has played meaningful snaps (started a game against Virginia)

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

All I see is bad blocking, receivers who are outclassed by the DB across from them, and an offensive playbook that throws the ball BACKWARDS for some strange reason.  

Still looks better than anything we had last year.  

He's got a strong arm, probably the strongest one of the bunch, and is at least as accurate as Aune on the deep ball. Still might take him a season to get up to speed though on the playbook.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

He's got a strong arm, probably the strongest one of the bunch, and is at least as accurate as Aune on the deep ball. Still might take him a season to get up to speed though on the playbook.

Thats a pretty strong assumption made there...

...assuming our playbook isn't written in crayon with koolaid spilled all over it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

The guy can run the ball.  With an offensive line and decent receivers he should do well. We already have a running game and that should further make things better, a balanced attack that should really make for a good offense.  Competition with the quarterbacks should further make things interesting.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Hopefully we have new playbooks next season!! 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I put that on the coaches as it’s their job to simplify things for the young man.  Don’t need no Chico playbooks anymore!

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Dannymacfan said:

I put that on the coaches as it’s their job to simplify things for the young man.  Don’t need no Chico playbooks anymore!

Our offense should be extremely simple. If we're going the Briles route there's maybe 25-30 plays?

Hell Leach runs like 20 and Seth is a disciple.

If this playbook is too complicated, it's because we have bad coaches.

• Upvote 2

Highlights are just that one game against USC, but he looked very poised.   His pocket presence at the 1:00 minute mark was great. However, it did look like he flubbed the ball trying to throw it away at the end.  They cutoff the highlight....LOL

I will take this kids accuracy and arm over Aune's any day.    My uneducated eye did not really see him go through his progressions much and he telegraphed a lot of throws, especially those 3 awful behind the LOS passes (awful calls).   At least he put the ball on target.

I am really excited about this kid being here.   He threw 248 passes for Arizona.   That's a pretty good sample size.   How nice would it be to have a QB that completes over 60% of his passes.    This kid was over 65%  both seasons.

QB 1 Playing In The Pac 12

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG
101 155 65.2 1,239 8.0 9 1 75 14 150.2
64 93 68.8 625 6.7 6 2 75 9 142.3

QB 2 Playing In CUSA

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
151 295 51.2 1,991 6.7 9 9 77 111.8
101 185 54.6 1,650 8.9 13 4 75 148.4

which would you prefer ?  To Aune's credit, he had nobody to really throw to last season and was much better when Darden was here.   But, Gunnell played on a bad team against Pac-12 competition.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, akriesman said:

Highlights are just that one game against USC, but he looked very poised.   His pocket presence at the 1:00 minute mark was great. However, it did look like he flubbed the ball trying to throw it away at the end.  They cutoff the highlight....LOL

I will take this kids accuracy and arm over Aune's any day.    My uneducated eye did not really see him go through his progressions much and he telegraphed a lot of throws, especially those 3 awful behind the LOS passes (awful calls).   At least he put the ball on target.

I am really excited about this kid being here.   He threw 248 passes for Arizona.   That's a pretty good sample size.   How nice would it be to have a QB that completes over 60% of his passes.    This kid was over 65%  both seasons.

QB 1 Playing In The Pac 12

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG SACK RTG
101 155 65.2 1,239 8.0 9 1 75 14 150.2
64 93 68.8 625 6.7 6 2 75 9 142.3

QB 2 Playing In CUSA

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
151 295 51.2 1,991 6.7 9 9 77 111.8
101 185 54.6 1,650 8.9 13 4 75 148.4

which would you prefer ?  To Aune's credit, he had nobody to really throw to last season and was much better when Darden was here.   But, Gunnell played on a bad team against Pac-12 competition.

I agree on the progressions, but the kid was running for his life! I thought some of the play calling was trying to save his butt with the short patterns and sprint  outs. Those highlights I was more impressed with his pocket performance and running ability for a big guy. I mentioned before, but this kid could be a program changer! GMG 

• Upvote 3