UNT adds transfer QB Grant Gunnell!

Cr1028

On 5/12/2022 at 5:58 PM, Hunter Green said:

We heard the same hype about Ruder. We'll see.  I hope he's everything as advertised. I still think Aune is the starter day 1.

Exactly and Ruder had an injury history that was used as an excuse for Mean Green fans thinking a healthy Ruder would take CUSA by storm.  Seth can recruit QB’s with the desired physical attributes but can he coaching them up?  The answer has been a resounding “No".  The best QB here he has had by a huge margin is the guy we got because most thought he was too small for D1 football.  I see another Ruder that pushes the original Ruder down the depth chart maybe.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm thinking of two hypotheticals:

Is there a small school in the middle of nowhere that historically churns out 2-5 P5 kids every year? Coaches are probably monitoring them, right?
Is there a massive school in a metro area that has historically zero-D1 or D2 talent? If so, coaches likely don't spend much time there, right?

... THis is really about talent pools, don't you think?  So, I'd buy this "school size" thing as a correlation, but not causation.

Final thought: 30 years ago, location (accessibility) and school size (exposure) were very real.  Before social media and YouTube, if a Florida coach wanted a highlight reel he had to call someone local and ask them to mail a video.  If they wanted a face-to-face meeting with a potential recruit in El Paso, they had to travel from Florida to the far side of Texas to meet.  Nowadays, it takes one person with a phone video to upload a video.  Within 10 minutes, it's on a server and anyone with a link anywhere in the world can watch it.  A face-to-face convo can be had instantly over Facetime or Google Duo.

I mean, weirdly, he amassed 40 D1 offers in HS. I meant respected moreso as in he wasn't touted as one of the big recruits of his cycle. Put this guy at Allen with those numbers and he's the top QB recruit in the country. Kind of hard to be a sleeper with 40 offers yet that's what he seems like. I hope he works out.

Regarding the internet, getting videos out there is great but there's thousand of HS seniors sending videos out every year. Coaches can't watch all of them and they can't go out to see all of then. I know they try but I'm sure some from lesser Hs programs slip through the cracks. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Ruder started under the same circumstance. It can be done especially if his talent level is there. Him having played and started P5 games I hope will make a big difference.

Agreed,  hopefully the P5 and Memphis coaches left an impression.  If not ours can teach him how to run block or something 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

My post was sarcastic in nature, but since you asked: Jace Ruder https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jace-Ruder-96843/RecruitInterests/

I count 2 SEC offers (Georgia and Ole Miss), not 10. To match Gunnell he would’ve needed to add Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State, Mizzou, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt. 

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Bad take. Ruder had 1 career TD prior to UNT. This guy has 15 to 2 interceptions playing on a bad team against superior programs. Ultimately it'll come down to our coaches. 

Perfect response.   There are no guarantees.    But, you can't discount Gunnell's experience against quality competition.    The odds of Gunnell succeeding here are obviously higher.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I count 2 SEC offers (Georgia and Ole Miss), not 10. To match Gunnell he would’ve needed to add Alabama, Texas A&M, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi State, Mizzou, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt. 

Maybe not all SEC, but Ruder had P5 offers from Baylor, Penn State, Florida State, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Florida, and North Carolina.  That's a hell of a P5 offer list, especially for someone coming to UNT. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, chrisfisher said:

Maybe not all SEC, but Ruder had P5 offers from Baylor, Penn State, Florida State, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Florida, and North Carolina.  That's a hell of a P5 offer list, especially for someone coming to UNT. 

Still, compare that list to Gunnell’s P5 list and it isn’t close.

Kansas State and Penn State didn’t offer Gunnell but those that did that didn’t offer Ruder include Arizona, Ohio State, Arizona State, Cal, Indiana,  Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Purdue, TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, and Wisconsin. Do you see any difference at all? When Ohio State, Alabama, and Texas A&M all offer you, you are on a different level.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Kansas State and Penn State didn’t offer Gunnell but those that did that didn’t offer Ruder include Arizona, Ohio State, Arizona State, Cal, Indiana,  Maryland, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Pittsburgh, Purdue, TCU, Texas Tech, UCLA, and Wisconsin. Do you see any difference at all? When Ohio State, Alabama, and Texas A&M all offer you, you are on a different level.

We can compare offer list all day but it is all speculation.  There are many factors determining whether a player with all the physical tools and good highschool tape don't get offered by a particular P5 school.  It is a crap shoot, especially at QB, on who pans out and who doesn't.  If we were talking about any other position I would put more weight into the differences between P5 offer list.  You can take 3 guys at any other position in the same class and they all get significant playing time or they could change positions easier and have an impact.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

We can compare offer list all day but it is all speculation.  There are many factors determining whether a player with all the physical tools and good highschool tape don't get offered by a particular P5 school.  It is a crap shoot, especially at QB, on who pans out and who doesn't.  If we were talking about any other position I would put more weight into the differences between P5 offer list.  You can take 3 guys at any other position in the same class and they all get significant playing time or they could change positions easier and have an impact.  

Enough with the cliches and generalities.  Offer lists can be deceiving (see Ruder) but they are usually accurate.  His video is all over the internet so why not review it and give us your specific thoughts?  

• Upvote 4

21 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Fair point. I hope you are right. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2022 at 3:30 PM, keith said:

And yet currently the 3rd best coach (won/lost % wise) with at least 5 years as HC in the history of North Texas Football in the "modern" era (1953 through 2021).  Only behind Hayden Fry and Otis Mitchell.  We've only had 6 coaches that have lasted more than 5 years in this same timeframe.  We do have coaches with better records, but you have to go back to the leather helmet days.

If Littrell can manage another 9-4 record this season, then he will move into a tie for 2nd with Mitchell who was HC for 14 years.

That says more about our abysmal history, not Seth Littrell as a HC. So far he’s just been a very mediocre head coach and if he were at a program with standards he wouldn’t be the HC

Just facts

Hope he turns it around this season

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That says more about our abysmal history, not Seth Littrell as a HC. So far he’s just been a very mediocre head coach and if he were at a program with standards he wouldn’t be the HC

Just facts

Hope he turns it around this season

Agree with you @TheColonyEagle

Get really sick of people using our crappy history of bad hires against us.  Some of them were due to a lack of funding and support from the admin.  The last couple have been self inflicted.  I too hope Littrell comes out of his funk but let’s be honest about it.  We are heading to a much tougher conference and we won’t be able to “coast” like Littrell has in the CUSA.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Dannymacfan said:

Agree with you @TheColonyEagle

Get really sick of people using our crappy history of bad hires against us.  Some of them were due to a lack of funding and support from the admin.  The last couple have been self inflicted.  I too hope Littrell comes out of his funk but let’s be honest about it.  We are heading to a much tougher conference and we won’t be able to “coast” like Littrell has in the CUSA.

If Gunn hits his stats, Seth just got an extension! The one position we needed a major up grade and he got it.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1