UNT adds transfer QB Grant Gunnell!

Cr1028

9 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I had the same thought, however after researching some of the Memphis sites, it was apparent that Gunnell looked very good in the spring.  I think he would have been welcomed back with open arms by Memphis. They just have a very good QB in Hennegan and Gunnell’s saw UNT as a place he could start right away. 

Coach Henigan's boy, from right here in Denton (Ryan).    Would've been nice to have kept him home.

• Upvote 3

Watching his highlights from AZ the guy was running for his life.   I think blocking was a suggestion on the AZ team he was on.   No time makes it hard to throw the ball.   I don't know if he is the answer but I hope he is.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Watching his highlights from AZ the guy was running for his life.   I think blocking was a suggestion on the AZ team he was on.   No time makes it hard to throw the ball.   I don't know if he is the answer but I hope he is.

Worried about our tackle situation, but our interior will be very solid with Mose, Blair, and Carroll

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

It's crazy to think Littrell has now brought in THREE QB's in one recruiting cycle.

I get there's some roster building behind it, but this tells me just how little faith he has in Aune/Ruder, which is sad

I wish I could get more excited about this transfer, but I just don't trust the staff to make good decisions with the QB position. It's been a dumpster fire since GH left. Bodie Reeder was awful for Fine's last year. Mason was just THAT good to still put up decent numbers.

Overall this will be the most talented qb room Seth has had. Now let's see what he can do with it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm wondering if coming from a catholic private school hurt his recruiting stock (like Fine coming from a small Oklahoma school) but then again, it never hurt Bishop Dunne.

In this social media era, factors like location and school size play very little into exposure.

all it takes is one highlight reel on the internet, and you can text a link anywhere.  Think about that.

Fine was a 2x Gatorade All American. Probably on tons of lists.  I never though his school size played a part in his lack of offers.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I have doubts about this coaching staff, unless they bring back GH, to effectively coach any QB.   He has a lot to learn (playbook) and a whole new team to get familiar with in a very short time.  

Ruder started under the same circumstance. It can be done especially if his talent level is there. Him having played and started P5 games I hope will make a big difference.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I have doubts about this coaching staff, unless they bring back GH, to effectively coach any QB.   He has a lot to learn (playbook) and a whole new team to get familiar with in a very short time.  

Just like Ruder.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, greenminer said:

In this social media era, factors like location and school size play very little into exposure.

all it takes is one highlight reel on the internet, and you can text a link anywhere.  Think about that.

Fine was a 2x Gatorade All American. Probably on tons of lists.  I never though his school size played a part in his lack of offers.

I don't see how school size and playing in a small district didn't affect Fine's recruitment. He had the stats and accolades yet got 1 D1 FBS offer. You see it all the time with players from non-power football states and/or playing 2A.

In my opinion, highlight videos don't matter as much in football as they do in basketball. You can't get hot from 3 during a tournament in football and you can't dominate both sides of the field in the same manner in football. Much less of an individual game and you're competition has as much to do about the perception of your talent as anything else.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 3

Crazy late addition, hopefully he spurs some good play from all QB's.

He was the majority starter at Zona, in 2020 they only played 5 games, and he played in four of them. I liked the Zona/USC vid someone had, even his bad plays looked alright

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Crazy late addition, hopefully he spurs some good play from all QB's.

He was the majority starter at Zona, in 2020 they only played 5 games, and he played in four of them. I liked the Zona/USC vid someone had, even his bad plays looked alright

Yeah I was watching that video too... he was running for his life the whole time, but as the game went on, he clearly got more comfortable and did what he had to do to make plays.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

This is likely the best QB transfer we've ever gotten. I agree this is huge for Littrell, and I'm cautiously optimistic. In my opinion, the reason to be more confident in Gunnell succeeding here compared to transfers like Morris, Ruder, Earle, and Head is that Gunnell has respectable playing experience against P5 teams.

We'll see what happens...but this could be good.

Gunnell is definitely a quality transfer. He is .88 on 247sports, but Jace Ruder is .89 transfer so not highest ever. 

Edited by chrisfisher
spelling correction.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Name one quarterback in the history of our program that had ten SEC offers out of high school.

My post was sarcastic in nature, but since you asked: Jace Ruder https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jace-Ruder-96843/RecruitInterests/

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cougar King said:

Wake me up when UNT has a transfer qb that doesnt flop.

When you come on here I know your either bored and no life, UH continues to suck or your just plain jealous. But I always appreciate a good laugh.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Seems to be good on the surface. Maybe this will be the one. But honestly, Tom Brady could join the program...it's still difficult for me to get excited as we roll our HC with a 37-38 overall record out for year 7.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

And yet currently the 3rd best coach (won/lost % wise) with at least 5 years as HC in the history of North Texas Football in the "modern" era (1953 through 2021).  Only behind Hayden Fry and Otis Mitchell.  We've only had 6 coaches that have lasted more than 5 years in this same timeframe.  We do have coaches with better records, but you have to go back to the leather helmet days.

If Littrell can manage another 9-4 record this season, then he will move into a tie for 2nd with Mitchell who was HC for 14 years.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

7 minutes ago, keith said:

And yet currently the 3rd best coach (won/lost % wise) with at least 5 years as HC in the history of North Texas Football in the "modern" era (1953 through 2021).  Only behind Hayden Fry and Otis Mitchell.  We've only had 6 coaches that have lasted more than 5 years in this same timeframe.  We do have coaches with better records, but you have to go back to the leather helmet days.

If Littrell can manage another 9-4 record this season, then he will move into a tie for 2nd with Mitchell who was HC for 14 years.

Wow that just blows my mind!  Here's to better days.

Looks like @keith is getting to the nitty gritty on why Wren was hesitant to pull the trigger on firing Seth last year.

Edited by meangreen11
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I don't see how school size and playing in a small district didn't affect Fine's recruitment. He had the stats and accolades yet got 1 D1 FBS offer. You see it all the time with players from non-power football states and/or playing 2A.

I'm thinking of two hypotheticals:

Is there a small school in the middle of nowhere that historically churns out 2-5 P5 kids every year? Coaches are probably monitoring them, right?
Is there a massive school in a metro area that has historically zero-D1 or D2 talent? If so, coaches likely don't spend much time there, right?

... THis is really about talent pools, don't you think?  So, I'd buy this "school size" thing as a correlation, but not causation.

Final thought: 30 years ago, location (accessibility) and school size (exposure) were very real.  Before social media and YouTube, if a Florida coach wanted a highlight reel he had to call someone local and ask them to mail a video.  If they wanted a face-to-face meeting with a potential recruit in El Paso, they had to travel from Florida to the far side of Texas to meet.  Nowadays, it takes one person with a phone video to upload a video.  Within 10 minutes, it's on a server and anyone with a link anywhere in the world can watch it.  A face-to-face convo can be had instantly over Facetime or Google Duo.

In my opinion, highlight videos don't matter as much in football as they do in basketball. You can't get hot from 3 during a tournament in football and you can't dominate both sides of the field in the same manner in football. Much less of an individual game and you're competition has as much to do about the perception of your talent as anything else.

I think they both matter, but you have brought up a good point.  Football videos generally need takes from multiple (3-4 or even more) games to have meaningful, lengthy content.  You can probably fill up the same timeframe with a basketball kid using clips from 1 or 2 games.

• Upvote 2