UNT adds transfer QB Grant Gunnell!

Cr1028

This is likely the best QB transfer we've ever gotten. I agree this is huge for Littrell, and I'm cautiously optimistic. In my opinion, the reason to be more confident in Gunnell succeeding here compared to transfers like Morris, Ruder, Earle, and Head is that Gunnell has respectable playing experience against P5 teams.

We'll see what happens...but this could be good.

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

In my opinion, this is a game changer for Littrell.  With the easy schedule, he may well win 8-9 games with a solid QB like Gunnels.  Big win for Littrell.  May well get him an extension.

Let's slow the extension talk until the kid at least gets into a game for NT.  

Here are his college stats from ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4427351/grant-gunnell

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

Some experience is better than none, however the argument could be made that Arizona has been among the worst teams in the country the last 2 years.  With limited time I see this being a big uphill battle to get even the #2 spot but I will always welcome more solid competition in the QB room.  Hope Gunnell can be what we are waiting for!

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

Some experience is better than none, however the argument could be made that Arizona has been among the worst teams in the country the last 2 years.  With limited time I see this being a big uphill battle to get even the #2 spot but I will always welcome more solid competition in the QB room.  Hope Gunnell can be what we are waiting for!

Haha, you’re funny. If Ruder was able to “win” the job last year in a few short weeks, Gunnell will be your week 1 starter without question.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Oh Boy! 2

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Haha, you’re funny. If Ruder was able to “win” the job last year in a few short weeks, Gunnell will be your week 1 starter without question.

I really hope you're right.  Important to remember that Gunnell just had all spring to beat out the guy in front of him and clearly didn't, so let's not act like we are getting some big star.  From October 6, 2019 until today Arizona has won one football game so again I'm just taking this experience with some realistic expectations.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

I really hope you're right.  Important to remember that Gunnell just had all spring to beat out the guy in front of him and clearly didn't, so let's not act like we are getting some big star.  From October 6, 2019 until today Arizona has won one football game so again I'm just taking this experience with some realistic expectations.

I had the same thought, however after researching some of the Memphis sites, it was apparent that Gunnell looked very good in the spring.  I think he would have been welcomed back with open arms by Memphis. They just have a very good QB in Hennegan and Gunnell’s saw UNT as a place he could start right away. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Gunnell’s is a whole different level guy.  He started at Arizona as a true sophomore.  This is a big pickup for Seth.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

40 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

Let’s be honest.  At Memphis he was trying to beat out the QB’s on their roster.  At North Texas he’s trying to overtake…Aune.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

Memphis spring game results and article.  Looks like a hotshot freshman QB was pushing both veterans too....

https://sports.yahoo.com/quarterback-competition-explosive-plays-learned-023516221.html

Grant Gunnell details right leg injury recovery....

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/2022/03/23/memphis-football-quarterback-grant-gunnell-move-past-season-ending-injury/7121671001/

Grant Gunnell transfers....

"Gunnell returns to his native Texas, where he's still the state's all-time leader in passing yards for high school quarterbacks.

There's also a chance he could return to Memphis this season. North Texas faces Memphis at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium on Sept. 24. If both Gunnell and Henigan are healthy, both will likely be the starting quarterbacks on opposite sidelines."

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/2022/05/12/grant-gunnell-transfers-memphis-north-texas-quarterback/9752924002/

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

I second the cautious optimism here. He actually played, the stats look pretty decent (65+% completions), there are warning signs (not winning competition at memphis this spring), but they aren't killer. That said, he will not have that much time to get into the system and the rest of the offense obviously needs to be good enough for a slight to medium QB upgrade to matter.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

Good thing he was at Arizona 3 yrs ago 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1

I don't care who our quarterback is. I want us to pick the one that works the hardest in practice and learns to execute the plays consistently. I want multiple quarterbacks to get reps before the start of the season so the coaches can see and evaluate their abilities. Once the season starts, I want them to pick the one that is most likely to succeed and give them the vast majority of reps and playing time. Exactly which quarterback isn't important. I'm not at every practice so I can't possibly judge which young man will be best for the job. 

• Upvote 6

Looks great....but I already know that he will have a sudden drop in skills and talent and have difficulty understanding our overly complex offensive schemes like so many quarterbacks, even SEC level, seem to experience at UNT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

Looks great....but I already know that he will have a sudden drop in skills and talent and have difficulty understanding our overly complex offensive schemes like so many quarterbacks, even SEC level, seem to experience at UNT. 

Name one quarterback in the history of our program that had ten SEC offers out of high school.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

It's almost like it's poor coaching or something.

I know what'll fix it though. Getting a lifelong OL coach to coach QB's! That'll definitely fix the problem

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

QB room be like:
BmU7Vw.gif

It's crazy to think Littrell has now brought in THREE QB's in one recruiting cycle.

I get there's some roster building behind it, but this tells me just how little faith he has in Aune/Ruder, which is sad

I wish I could get more excited about this transfer, but I just don't trust the staff to make good decisions with the QB position. It's been a dumpster fire since GH left. Bodie Reeder was awful for Fine's last year. Mason was just THAT good to still put up decent numbers.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 2