Kason Martin Update

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Based on my untrained eye, I’d say velocity.

If he has a velocity issue why was he signed as a QB for NT?   It seems we signed 15 QBs under Seth then decide most are not worthy of playing time once they reach the practice field.  Someone is a poor QB evaluator before or after they get to NT.

• Upvote 3

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"Good insight my friend"

Cr1028 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

59 minutes ago, NT80 said:

If he has a velocity issue why was he signed as a QB for NT?

If you want the cold hard truth.

https://247sports.com/Player/Garrison-Johnson-46036011/high-school-203400/

We signed Kason, Syracuse hired his head coach, Kason’s dad. Johnson decommitted from us and signed with Syracuse. Johnson didn’t end up being the player he was supposed to be in college but you can take it to the bank that signing Kason was our play to get him. Martin stuck around because he was smart, a good hype man, and his now-wife was a Mean Green volleyball player.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If you want the cold hard truth.

https://247sports.com/Player/Garrison-Johnson-46036011/high-school-203400/

We signed Kason, Syracuse hired his head coach, Kason’s dad. Johnson decommitted from us and signed with Syracuse. Johnson didn’t end up being the player he was supposed to be in college but you can take it to the bank that signing Kason was our play to get him. 

We essentially pulled Johnson's offer when he wouldn't sign early.  Why continue to honor Kason's offer if his only purpose was as a gateway to someone whose offer we pulled?

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

We essentially pulled Johnson's offer when he wouldn't sign early.  Why continue to honor Kason's offer if his only purpose was as a gateway to someone whose offer we pulled?

Yes, I forgot Johnson tried to use us as his backup plan while seeking a P5 gig. Kason was a year older. He was already on campus before Johnson could sign. We beat out TAMU-Commerce for his services. I love the kid but don’t act like he has the same athletic talent as Ruder and Aune because it simply isn’t true.

The practice of signing a teammate to lure a higher profile talent has been going on for years. Todd Dodge did it with Vizza and Dibrell. He signed AJ Penson in the hopes of getting Dez Bryant’s attention. Dodge also signed Byrd and Brelan but I don’t remember which was the preferred player in that deal. McCarney signed O’keeron Rutherford to get Tee Goree. He also signed Kelvin Smith to get Roderick Young. Littrell did it with Mason and Pirtle although in that case he was able to use a PWO at first on Pirtle.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes, I forgot Johnson tried to use us as his backup plan while seeking a P5 gig. Kason was a year older. He was already on campus before Johnson could sign. We beat out TAMU-Commerce for his services. I love the kid but don’t act like he has the same athletic talent as Ruder and Aune because it simply isn’t true.

The practice of signing a teammate to lure a higher profile talent has been going on for years. Todd Dodge did it with Vizza and Dibrell. He signed AJ Penson in the hopes of getting Dez Bryant’s attention. Dodge also signed Byrd and Brelan but I don’t remember which was the preferred player in that deal. McCarney signed O’keeron Rutherford to get Tee Goree. He also signed Kelvin Smith to get Roderick Young. Littrell did it with Mason and Pirtle although in that case he was able to use a PWO at first on Pirtle.

Call me skeptical.  If they didn't think Kason was truly scholarship worthy, they could have found someone else on that Manvel roster who was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I watched the state championship game the year Kason was a senior. Manvel didn’t win, but it was very close and Kason was very impressive. I was thrilled that he signed with us, and I eagerly anticipated watching him play. It was disappointing that he didn’t get the chance to start.

• Upvote 4