Interesting CFB Fact--Champions

LongJim

I saw this on the interwebs today.  Not sure if I should be surprised.

Going back to 1960, there have only been 26 schools to win a football national championship.

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
BYU
Clemson
Colorado
UF
FSU
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Ole Miss
OU
Penn State
Pitt
Tennessee
Texas
USC (Southern Cal)
Washington

Go back to 1940 and you just add Maryland, UCLA, Iowa, Syracuse, and Army.

Edited by LongJim
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

In that modern era list, BYU is the only non major conference program.

I would bet the SEC is way ahead in total Championships, followed by the Big10.

While I agree with the BYU statement, to me, they are a major program. They get 70k for home games, play P5s at their place all the time, and have a huge national footprint. And I bet the Big 12 will do them really well in the years ahead.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LongJim said:

Going back to 1960, there have only been 26 schools to win a football national championship.

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
BYU
Clemson
Colorado
UF
FSU
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Ole Miss
OU
Penn State
Pitt
Tennessee
Texas
USC (Southern Cal)
Washington

Take out the years with some outliers (like 1984 with BYU and 1990 with Colorado and Georgia Tech splitting one) and its even smaller.

Since 1961, so we can get Minnesota off that list, too, the AP final champion is made up of:

Alabama--12 (that's insane...)

Miami and USC--5

OU, Notre Dame, and Nebraska--4

Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Texas, and Ohio State--3

LSU, Georgia, and Penn State--2

Pitt, BYU, Colorado, Michigan, Tennessee, and Auburn--1

That's all of 20 teams to win the last 61 titles--and they will never let anyone remotely close to BYU ever get a chance again. Since 1985, 17 of the teams listed above have won the title--out of 65 current P5 schools, as well as 65 more G5 teams. But, yes, let's keep up the farce that we are all equal and all get to compete to be national champions. 

• Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, LongJim said:

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
BYU
Clemson
Colorado
UF
FSU
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Miami
Michigan
Michigan St.
Minnesota
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Ohio State
Ole Miss
OU
Penn State
Pitt
Tennessee
Texas
USC (Southern Cal)
Washington

I've bolded the teams I think have little chance to win again. I still refuse to put Nebraska on that list until their attendance starts to drop significantly. 

6 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

That's all of 20 teams to win the last 61 titles--and they will never let anyone remotely close to BYU ever get a chance again. Since 1985, 17 of the teams listed above have won the title--out of 65 current P5 schools, as well as 65 more G5 teams. But, yes, let's keep up the farce that we are all equal and all get to compete to be national champions. 

The farce is the biased CFP, college football playoff.  A real, expanded playoff is needed with auto-bids for all conferences plus at-large entries.  It's the reason March Madness is so fun = underdog victories.  They happen every March.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

I've bolded the teams I think have little chance to win again. I still refuse to put Nebraska on that list until their attendance starts to drop significantly. 

I’d seriously consider swapping BYU and Ole Miss

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

The farce is the biased CFP, college football playoff.  A real, expanded playoff is needed with auto-bids for all conferences plus at-large entries.  It's the reason March Madness is so fun = underdog victories.  They happen every March.

You’d be very surprised at the number of schools who’ve won a national championship in basketball over the same time period.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, NT93 said:

You’d be very surprised at the number of schools who’ve won a national championship in basketball over the same time period.

Since 1967, the NCAA Mens Champions:

UCLA--9

Duke and UNC--5

Kentucky, UConn-4

Kansas, Indiana, Louisville, Villanova--3 

Florida, NC State, Michigan State,--2

Marquette, Georgetown, Michigan, UNLV, Arkansas, Arizona, Maryland, Syracuse, Virginia, and Baylor

12 teams have combined for 45 of the last 55 titles. 

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Since 1967, the NCAA Mens Champions:

UCLA--9

Duke and UNC--5

Kentucky, UConn-4

Kansas, Indiana, Louisville, Villanova--3 

Florida, NC State, Michigan State,--2

Marquette, Georgetown, Michigan, UNLV, Arkansas, Arizona, Maryland, Syracuse, Virginia, and Baylor

12 teams have combined for 45 of the last 55 titles. 

Raise your hand if you thought there was more parity in football than in basketball.

31 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Raise your hand if you thought there was more parity in football than in basketball.

There are just about 40 schools that play at the FBS level that win at these two revenue sports. Why not let them go and be their own level of play because of their revenue, history, and fanbases are gigantic compared to the rest of us? Look, I get the Big East schools being a major level of hoops, as they have programs that can compete in hoops every year. So, when the Big XII falls apart, let the P4 and the Big East move on to their own levels and playoffs and give the rest of us a legitimate chance to win it all in the two biggest sports.

Hint, hint: this will happen.

• Downvote 2