Tampering Allegations Due to the Portal/NIL

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-tampering-allegations-can-NCAA-fix--187210953/

It’s a sunny April day in Denton, Texas. Tiger Woods is on TV and the vibes are good on the eve of North Texas’ spring game. That is until the subject turns to tampering, which is when UNT head coach Seth Littrell’s usual stoic nature gives way to a simmering anger.

Like almost every other coach in college football this offseason, Littrell has battled to keep his roster intact. Littrell said tampering is at an “all-time high” with the worst offenses occurring by those he once considered friends.

“If you’re going to go behind my back on one of my guys, I think you’re chickenshit,” Littrell told 247Sports. “There’s no loyalty in that. If you go behind my back, I have nothing to do with you – ever.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

There is a major difference in accepting that the portal is a way of life and just setting back and accepting the tampering. Good for Seth. Good for the coach at Pittsburg. Hopefully more of the schools that are reaching out to kids before they declare for the portal will be called out. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, denton_days said:

I get the laid back nature of this interview, but it's a little 'chickenshit' that he is just complaining about it all. Grant seemed to have a much better reaction to having guys stolen.

I didn't take it as complaining.  He is calling out coaches going behind his back, which I agree is chickenshit. 

I have had a couple of my employees hired by other departments within the healthcare system where I work.  The first one was handled correctly.  The department director/hiring manager contacted me to let me know they were interested in my employee for a position in their department.  I appreciated that.  I didn't like losing him, but I appreciated that they were upfront about it.  I had a second employee that lied about where he was going and the department that hired him away basically bragged to someone that they had stolen one of my employees.  They won't do it again as I approached them, discussed it and they finally admitted to what they did.  In the long run, it was better for both sides, but they didn't handle it the right way.

I don't think Grant had guys stolen, did he?  He had a couple graduate and move closer to home

• Upvote 4

I'm saddened to read this.  Littrell may be a good man but he is acting somewhat naive.  He needs to be the one stealing other players to better us.  He may not be a good fit for an HFC in this new world order.  We need more of a Jeff Trailor salesman type in our current situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I'm saddened to read this.  Littrell may be a good man but he is acting somewhat naive.  He needs to be the one stealing other players to better us.  He may not be a good fit for an HFC in this new world order.  We need more of a Jeff Trailor salesman type in our current situation.

Jeff Traylor is very familiar with recruiting guys off of nearby rivals' rosters.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Missing the point. This is not about working within the portal - It is about the coaches who have their programs recruiting players before they enter the portal.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Missing the point. This is not about working within the portal - It is about the coaches who have their programs recruiting players before they enter the portal.

I agree, if NIL starts a few years earlier, there is no way Mason Fine finishes his career in Denton.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

I wonder if chicken $hit is winning bowl games? How you do it I could care less. Coaches don't need to contact players, alumni with the NIL money will. Eventually this is going to be an agent driven business.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1