ESPN+ Conference USA offseason preview - Bottom 6

We have four of those on the schedule - all at home. That means we get the other four of the top five on the road. Need to take care of business at home and win some of those road games to have a decent conference record.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I don’t believe that bottom six.  La Tech simply re-loads every year.

They’ve not been quite as crisp lately, new program being installed and they’re on their way to becoming homeless conference wise.  That said, I don’t disagree with you and I always expect them to be good.  Just assuming those things are factoring I to their theory here. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

With all that went on there and Holtz and them moving on from each other, I have my doubts that ll keep up.

Right.   Unlike SMU, where the transition to a new coach should be rather seamless, LATech brings in a poor man's Littrell coming from the Leach tree. 
Whereas Joe Sloan came up under Skip Holtz's wing at LATech from 2013-21.  So their offense is going to change a bit.   They might struggle a bit early on.   NT catches them mid-season, at home, so ideally they won't have gel'd yet.   
If Cumbie is a good motivator & can get his guys to buy-in by mid-season though... look out, this could be a game where a perceived lesser team jumps up & bites us.

CBS has the same six at the bottom, with LaTech next to last above FIU. 

They have top five as UTSA, UAB, WKU, UTEP, and UNT. 

Of non-conference opponents, SMU is just behind UAB, Memphis is three notches above UTEP, and UNLV falls about halfway between LaTech and FIU. 

If results followed all that (they never do), NT ends up 6-6 plus a bowl game. Anything better would have to include win at Memphis or UTEP plus taking care of business at home conference games plus Texas Southern.

• Eye Roll 1

19 hours ago, rws69 said:

Of non-conference opponents, SMU is just behind UAB, Memphis is three notches above UTEP, and UNLV falls about halfway between LaTech and FIU. 

If results followed all that (they never do), NT ends up 6-6 plus a bowl game. Anything better would have to include win at Memphis or UTEP plus taking care of business at home conference games plus Texas Southern.

6-6 would be so interesting to see what the situation would look like around here. Win or get fired in a bowl game? Or fired/extended before it? Coaches on the staff would be jumping off the ship so fast, just to hedge against a firing.

We have to have better offensive play calling, throw the ball downfield even 10-12 yards and better execution, fewer dropped passes.  I believe our defense is pretty good, we should be good there.  Anything less then a total of 8 wins and SL needs to be gone!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, rws69 said:

Our schedule shows 8-9 wins, in my eyes.

Somehow we will falter to crap teams, but there is no excuse to not be AT LEAST bowl eligible 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Our schedule shows 8-9 wins, in my eyes.

Somehow we will falter to crap teams, but there is no excuse to not be AT LEAST bowl eligible 

It's a Seth Littrell coached team. We can always count on them pulling an Amber Heard at some point in the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RBP79 said:

The UTEP game being moved to the first game of the season will be a ball buster for the loser. I see it as a toss up presently.

Agreed. The loser will be stuck at the bottom of the conference standings for a month until conference play resumes. Not great for morale. We really need to set the tone for the season and take that game in El Paso.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

two conference teams play each other in WK1 and you're worried about how it will look sitting below the rest of those 0-0ers.  For a few weeks in which literally no one else in the CFB world - players and fans alike - are even looking at conference standings.

...think about what you're saying and maybe lighten up on the depressants.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3