WTF? UNT loses another d-lineman to portal

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Thanks.  Wasn't trying to be an ass, but was interested in where you were going with your comment.

It is a different time.  My comment "waxing nostalgic" was in response to the "12 Mighty Orphans" comment.  I don't ever foresee us, nor remember us rotating more than 4 DT's.  These young men that left hadn't cracked the two deep.

Last year, the following men played DT:
Dion Novil (now gone)
Caleb Colvin (now gone)
Enoch Jackson
Roderick Brown
Dayton LeBlanc
Ta'Shoyn Johnson (very limited)
Kourtlin Rousaw (very limited)

That's 7 guys... over 3-deep.    Now that Novil and Colvin are gone, we're still going to need that depth.  Vailea should help there (he couldn't get on the field over Johnson or Rousaw last year though... so I'm not sure he's going to beat them this year.    Last year, with how well Jackson & Brown played, I would say this position is one of strength (probably 2nd strongest position group behind RB).  I certainly wouldn't say that this year.   Starters are strong, for sure.   But behind LeBlanc, the depth is severely lacking here.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Last year, the following men played DT:
Dion Novil (now gone)
Caleb Colvin (now gone)
Enoch Jackson
Roderick Brown
Dayton LeBlanc
Ta'Shoyn Johnson (very limited)
Kourtlin Rousaw (very limited)

That's 7 guys... over 3-deep.    Now that Novil and Colvin are gone, we're still going to need that depth.  Vailea should help there (he couldn't get on the field over Johnson or Rousaw last year though... so I'm not sure he's going to beat them this year.    Last year, with how well Jackson & Brown played, I would say this position is one of strength (probably 2nd strongest position group behind RB).  I certainly wouldn't say that this year.   Starters are strong, for sure.   But behind LeBlanc, the depth is severely lacking here.

The participation report from last year listed our players as DL and didn't differentiate between DT and DE.  The number of DL that played each game were 6, 4, 7, 4, 4, 6, 4, 5, 7, 5, 7, 7, 5.  None of the three that have transferred showed up on this report.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The participation report from last year listed our players as DL and didn't differentiate between DT and DE.  The number of DL that played each game were 6, 4, 7, 4, 4, 6, 4, 5, 7, 5, 7, 7, 5.  None of the three that have transferred showed up on this report.

Yeah, but if you're watching, you know who the DL guys are & what spots they play:  1/nose, 3-tech, End, & the Hybrid "Devil" position that I'm fairly certain Passwaters doesn't fully coach (Coach Petrilli mostly coaches those guys from my understanding).   
And again, I understand the dudes who left did not play last year.   That doesn't automatically mean they wouldn't play THIS year.   They, themselves may have wanted a change of scenery, or they could have been told their spot on the totem pole, thought it was low, and left.   We don't know.    What we do know, is that if Novil or Colvin were injured last year, their backups were some studs.    We don't know that this year, and now we're relying on a dude who has virtually zero DL coaching credentials (1 year in the role) to get those backups up to speed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Well, all we can do now is see how it plays out.  I would also bet Passwaters gets an assist from this new senior analyst.

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/sam-bennett/663

… at family get-togethers, yeah.  

But Lil Bennett apparently spent his time at Hawaii as an offensive analyst. So, he’s equally under qualified for his current role.

Poor Seth is over the barrel here.   All-in on Bennett saving his job.   Hope he’s ready for Gush to take over in ‘23.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Puking Eagle 1