NIL SH!$ SHOW

MeanGreen_MBA

There’s no going back now that the Supreme Court has allowed this to happen. Only way to change it is to have the NCAA divide into even more divisions. Make one scholarship only, up to 85, make one scholarship only, up to 60, make one scholarship only, up to 30, then let the rest pay NIL to players, making them employees of their school or letting them just be a representative of the school thru it’s affiliation on a football team. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Interesting look at UTSA’s newly formed collective and where the money is flowing:

https://runnersrisingproject.org/utsa-nil-tracker/

As much as I hate to say anything positive about them, I like the way they set up for contributions on the site (provided they aren’t taking any off the top).

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

"NCAA is successfully destroying themselves/amateur athletics."

How is this the fault of the NCAA?

They make the rules....if you don't think the Transfer Portal and NIL are disrupting college athletics....just hang around a bit longer.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 3

I suspect some of you are too young to remember when the Olympics went from being a truly amateur endeavor to professional. This happened in 1986 and there were similar cries of outrage. Of course now, no one gives this a second thought.

The same will happen with college athletics. Just as the amateur athletes were left behind in 1986, many universities will be left behind as the professionalism of college athletics takes hold. In twenty years or so, no one will give this a second thought as well.

• Upvote 3

On 4/29/2022 at 8:05 AM, RBP79 said:

NCAA is successfully destroying themselves/amateur athletics.

Lol I don't think you know how this works. The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA was violating anti-trust laws by restricting athlete compensation. The NCAA, like you, thinks this is a slippery slope and harmful to amateurism. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, GreenFlag said:

Lol I don't think you know how this works. The Supreme Court ruled that the NCAA was violating anti-trust laws by restricting athlete compensation. The NCAA, like you, thinks this is a slippery slope and harmful to amateurism. 

Do you like the direction this is going? That schools with lots of money and fans are just buying players? That agents are now involved? 

Because a gigantic school that has loathed athletics for decades isn't gonna play real well in that pool...

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Do you like the direction this is going? That schools with lots of money and fans are just buying players? That agents are now involved? 

Because a gigantic school that has loathed athletics for decades isn't gonna play real well in that pool...

Kind of yes. It's less fun for us because we aren't the ones buying players, but for the players - yes it's past time.

I mean no it should be a different system, but that isn't reality.

Also, the group that really loves how this is going is the NFL. Who gets a free minor league system to develop/pay players without investment from them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Kind of yes. It's less fun for us because we aren't the ones buying players, but for the players - yes it's past time.

I mean no it should be a different system, but that isn't reality.

Also, the group that really loves how this is going is the NFL. Who gets a free minor league system to develop/pay players without investment from them.

To me, the NFL has always worked well with., for, and especially from college football. It’s pretty much a perfect relationship. 

That said, NIL is way better for players in college than the NFL. NIL let’s you go to the highest bidder every year. The NFL has salary caps, rookie limits, and actual contracts. These college kids are gonna be in for a rude awakening to that reality.

• Upvote 1

Listening to Dan Patrick on the drive to work this morning talk about an SEC bag man that told him about a player that was negotiating a four year, six figure per year contract with his suitors as the way to determine where he ends up.  This is going to get out of hand real quick unless some parameters are put in place.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, letsgiveacheer said:

I suspect some of you are too young to remember when the Olympics went from being a truly amateur endeavor to professional. This happened in 1986 and there were similar cries of outrage. Of course now, no one gives this a second thought.

The same will happen with college athletics. Just as the amateur athletes were left behind in 1986, many universities will be left behind as the professionalism of college athletics takes hold. In twenty years or so, no one will give this a second thought as well.

The difference, of course, is that the entire country can unite behind our athletes.  Fans are not left behind.  With this changing college landscape many of us are going to be left without a team to root for…at least at the “highest” level.

7 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The difference, of course, is that the entire country can unite behind our athletes.  Fans are not left behind.  With this changing college landscape many of us are going to be left without a team to root for…at least at the “highest” level.

You're suggesting there will be a day when no team is representing our school/Mean Green brand.

How would that scenario unfold?

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

You're suggesting there will be a day when no team is representing our school/Mean Green brand.

How would that scenario unfold?

I’m suggesting we, along with 100+ current FBS members, are relegated to a non-playoff or somesuch division.  There will only be 30 or fewer schools playing football in the top division.  

• Haha 1