UNT signs transfer Ty Eady

Also, this should put us at 12 scholarship players. Room for one more, assuming no one else jumps ship.

Seniors (3):

F - Jayden Martinez

G - Tyree Eady

G - Rasheed Browne

Juniors (1): 

G - Tylor Perry

Sophomores (6):

F - Abou Ousmane

F - Moulaye Sissoko

F - Aaron Scott

G - Rubin Jones

G - Matthew Stone

G - Bryce Zephir

Freshman (1):

F - Chris Morgan

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Also, this should put us at 12 scholarship players. Room for one more, assuming no one else jumps ship.

Seniors (3):

F - Jayden Martinez

G - Tyree Eady

G - Rasheed Browne

Juniors (1): 

G - Tylor Perry

Sophomores (6):

F - Abou Ousmane

F - Moulaye Sissoko

F - Aaron Scott

G - Rubin Jones

G - Matthew Stone

G - Bryce Zephir

Freshman (1):

F - Chris Morgan

looks like a team ready to compete for 2-3 more years at a high level and keep on reloading.

• Upvote 6

John Fields from 247 putting in more solid work.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Versatile-North-Dakota-State-transfer-guard-Tyree-Eady-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-Green-186893266/

“Ultimately I just felt like UNT was the best spot for me, my mindset and my game,” Eady said. “I love playing defense, love sharing the ball with my teammates and most of all I love winning. I like to say I’m a very unselfish player. At the end of the day, my main goal is winning, whether that’s me scoring the ball, making the extra pass, supporting a teammate. My main goal is just to win, make some noise and do something special.”

The bolded area above is slightly concerning.

“Honestly, it was just the feeling I had when I talked to the coaching staff and got on-campus,” said Eady of how he decided on UNT. “All of them are genuinely like family. [...] I felt like I could come here, be myself and be successful. Not just individually but also help the team win and get to the goal and vision they have next year.”

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

John Fields from 247 putting in more solid work.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Versatile-North-Dakota-State-transfer-guard-Tyree-Eady-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-Green-186893266/

“Ultimately I just felt like UNT was the best spot for me, my mindset and my game,” Eady said. “I love playing defense, love sharing the ball with my teammates and most of all I love winning. I like to say I’m a very unselfish player. At the end of the day, my main goal is winning, whether that’s me scoring the ball, making the extra pass, supporting a teammate. My main goal is just to win, make some noise and do something special.”

The bolded area above is slightly concerning.

“Honestly, it was just the feeling I had when I talked to the coaching staff and got on-campus,” said Eady of how he decided on UNT. “All of them are genuinely like family. [...] I felt like I could come here, be myself and be successful. Not just individually but also help the team win and get to the goal and vision they have next year.”

I lol'd.

I'm really excited about this addition. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Seniors (3):

F - Jayden Martinez

G - Tyree Eady

G - Rasheed Browne

Juniors (1): 

G - Tylor Perry

Sophomores (6):

F - Abou Ousmane

F - Moulaye Sissoko

F - Aaron Scott

G - Rubin Jones

G - Matthew Stone

G - Bryce Zephir

Freshman (1):

F - Chris Morgan

You left out Kai Huntsberry....is he a senior????

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SUMG said:

You left out Kai Huntsberry....is he a senior????

Yeah, you're right.    I bet we're done, and this is the roster!   Huntsberry has played 3 seasons so far with no redshirt, so with the Covid year, I think he has 3 years to play 2.   A "Senior" academically, but he should have 2 years of eligibility.

If so, it looks like we backfilled Bell with an athletic stretch F guy like he was in Jayden Martinez (hate to put Bell's expectations on Martinez, but he filled it up at UNH).
Got Huntsberry to take Drez's spot as a sharpshooter (again, hate to put those kind of expectations on Huntsberry, but he actually shot a better 3pt% last year than Drez).
Replaced Wright with Sissoko (I think it's fair to say the expectations are low here.  Should be a clear upgrade if he can even contribute at all behind Abou).   
Then Eady replaces JJ, and with his own emphasis on defense (at least, in his interviews he says this), plus the ability to actually create his own shots (scored over 1kpts in 4 yrs at NDSU), I think could provide an upgrade here (and that's tough to say when replacing an all-conference defense 1st-teamer in JJ).

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

If Ab and Siss can play at the same time, this could really be a hell of a team. I still think Ab could play some 4 and be able to back them up to the basket. Rubin pLay a little more point? GMG

That would be a surprise.  I've always thought Grant leans small/more guards, and doesn't like playing two bigs.

Having said that, he has adapted before.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, greenminer said:

That would be a surprise.  I've always thought Grant leans small/more guards, and doesn't like playing two bigs.

The game has changed.   
The days of having a true PG, SG, SF, PF, C have departed.   It's hard for some old folks to understand though, as they see through the lens they know.
Putting both Sissoko & Ousmane on the floor at the same time could lead to some terrible terrible outcomes against fast-paced teams that would just spank us in transition waiting for those two to get back.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The game has changed.   
The days of having a true PG, SG, SF, PF, C have departed.   It's hard for some old folks to understand though, as they see through the lens they know.
Putting both Sissoko & Ousmane on the floor at the same time could lead to some terrible terrible outcomes against fast-paced teams that would just spank us in transition waiting for those two to get back.

Deng and Simmons mix is what I would envision if Siss is serviceable. This would not be a starting line. If we can get a threat down low or a 2 that can drive to the hoop this will have an impact on opening the perimeter. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I love that GMac constantly adapts. He looks at the strengths of the team and determines the best way for the team to win.  He’s also not afraid to change course if a strategy is not working.  I’m excited to see what the team ends up playing like next year.  

• Upvote 4

• 5 months later...