Depth is…

18 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

I know it's easy to put the blame on Littrell and the state of the program but every single school is losing players currently.  That is the current state of college sports regardless of the direction of the program.  We are pretty much right on par with schools like Bama, Georgia, LSU..do you think the players there see the writing on the wall too?

Granted, it's hurts us 10x more than these programs because they can replace those guys with anyone and we can't.  But blaming players leaving on the state of the program is just refusing to look at the big picture.

Yeah that’s why people are reacting the way they are, and why I posted this. The culture sucks here, on top of that.

Those guys in the SEC left to go to programs like ours, yet we only land a handful of transfers in general to replace the talent we lost.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

17 hours ago, Marty said:

The only starters leaving are Brammer & the Murphys.

In the portal. We lost Sanders, Novil, Tyreke Davis, DeAndre Torrey, Jason Pirtle to graduation and thank the lord for Covid rule or it would be 4-5 more.

We aren’t replacing anyone 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If there was any fluke, it was the loss to Miami, OH in the bowl game.   I mean, how can we expect to beat those guys if we don't have Torrey?

I mean he was a quarter of our offensive production for the season, so yea, losing him made a big difference.

• Ray 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I mean he was a quarter of our offensive production for the season, so yea, losing him made a big difference.

Uh oh.    So what does that mean for this season?   We return the same RBs that couldn't move the ball against that juggernaut, Miami OH.    I don't believe the dropoff is that steep, but if it is, we're in serious trouble this year.

C'mon.    Everyone is talking about how amazingly deep the RB room is.    Are you saying that all of those dudes' success last year was predicated on Torrey being in front of them?   I don't buy it.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401391158
When you fully identify yourself (complete with a cute hashtag "#rUNThedamnball") as a Run-First team, and Austin Aune is your leading rusher for the game with 28 YDS!!, you have a problem.  And it ain't the RBs behind Torrey. 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You're the most active person around here Lifer.  Pretty sure you know what's going on in the dumpster fire, even if you don't want to acknowledge how terribly things are going.   I shouldn't have to spell out anything for you.

You made the comment "there is alot going on here."  What is alot?  That leads me to believe their are issues within the program.

I spelled it out after looking at the players that have decided to leave.  Here's my breakdown:

Murphy's: All about themselves.

Brammer: Graduated and chose to try his hand elsewhere.  I don't care for it, but he is an average OL that put in four years here.  

Hutchings: Never sniffed the two deep and passed over by others.

Greene: Never sniffed the two deep and passed over by others.  Recently celebrated an offer from ICW.

Ward: Hadn't sniffed the two deep and was passed over by others. Recently celebrated an offer from McNeese.

McNeese: Walk-on punter.  Dime a dozen

Amani Gilmore: Never sniffed the four deep.  I know through a source that SL was pissed that UK's Stoops recommended this young man to him as a transfer. Still in the portal

Kason Martin:  Should have, but never received playing time. Signed with ENMU.

Chris Cassidy: OL that wasn't on the two deep. Still in the portal

Edward Bautista: LB.  No comment needed.

John Brunner: OL that wasn't on the two deep after a number of years.  Passed over by younger players.  Hasn't signed.

Simpson: His own dumpster fire for beating up his girlfriend.

Kenneth Dotson: Passed over, not signed.

Jacobi Johnson: Hated to lose him because he arrived highly rated.  Never sniffed the field.

Rayvon Crum: Arrived out of shape, never got in shape, but he never plays anywhere else.

Jordan Rucker: Moves around alot.  Not signed anywhere.

Kody Fulp: Who new.  Has to be close to 30 by now.

Cinque Williams: Curious if you see him show up somewhere else.

Now, look at that list and tell me who's entry in the portal would indicate a dumpster fire?  I don't see players like KD Davis, Gaddie, any of our RB's, none of our TE's.  Nothing indicates a problem

Now, you want to address where we are as a program under SL?  I think it is a different matter all together.  No, not happy that we lost another bowl, not happy that Aune is still under center (although I will be shocked if he starts next year), not happy with SL's lack of effort in selling the program to the fans, etc....

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You're right. No need to panic here. Things are absolutely rolling smoothly for this team, just because other teams are losing the same if not more than us. We are all just paranoid. 

We clearly don't have a lame duck head coach, questionable Strength and Conditioning program, a lack of quality recruits, no QB coach,  questionable starting QB's, a lack of depth, etc. 

Sorry for our paranoia. Glad to know other teams have the same issues as us. 

I never said any of those things weren’t true.  I said those who think kids are entering the portal because of those things aren’t paying attention to college football as a whole.  EVERY school has players in the portal, not just schools that are a dumpster fire.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I spelled it out after looking at the players that have decided to leave.  Here's my breakdown:

Murphy's: All about themselves.

Brammer: Graduated and chose to try his hand elsewhere.  I don't care for it, but he is an average OL that put in four years here.  

Hutchings: Never sniffed the two deep and passed over by others.

Greene: Never sniffed the two deep and passed over by others.  Recently celebrated an offer from ICW.

Ward: Hadn't sniffed the two deep and was passed over by others. Recently celebrated an offer from McNeese.

McNeese: Walk-on punter.  Dime a dozen

Amani Gilmore: Never sniffed the four deep.  I know through a source that SL was pissed that UK's Stoops recommended this young man to him as a transfer. Still in the portal

Kason Martin:  Should have, but never received playing time. Signed with ENMU.

Chris Cassidy: OL that wasn't on the two deep. Still in the portal

Edward Bautista: LB.  No comment needed.

John Brunner: OL that wasn't on the two deep after a number of years.  Passed over by younger players.  Hasn't signed.

Simpson: His own dumpster fire for beating up his girlfriend.

Kenneth Dotson: Passed over, not signed.

Jacobi Johnson: Hated to lose him because he arrived highly rated.  Never sniffed the field.

Rayvon Crum: Arrived out of shape, never got in shape, but he never plays anywhere else.

Jordan Rucker: Moves around alot.  Not signed anywhere.

Kody Fulp: Who new.  Has to be close to 30 by now.

Cinque Williams: Curious if you see him show up somewhere else.

Now, look at that list and tell me who's entry in the portal would indicate a dumpster fire?  I don't see players like KD Davis, Gaddie, any of our RB's, none of our TE's.  Nothing indicates a problem

Now, you want to address where we are as a program under SL?  I think it is a different matter all together.  No, not happy that we lost another bowl, not happy that Aune is still under center (although I will be shocked if he starts next year), not happy with SL's lack of effort in selling the program to the fans, etc....

The reductions of the Murphys around here is baffling.   By reading some of y'all's takes on those guys, you would wonder 2 things:  #1. How on Earth did they ever get playing time here?  #2. How on Earth could they possibly transfer to UCLA (or a host of other P5 options they had on the table)?    Could it be because they are actually really talented players, and it sucks to lose them?

And when you reduce your 2nd-best OL (at least, by C-USA All-conference voters' standards) "an average OL that put in four years here.", that is troubling for the rest of those guys.  The guy who was voted better than Brammer?   Also a 5th year guy who exercised his extra year of eligibility to play... AT UNT!!   I wonder why Mose decided to return to UNT, but Brammer didn't.   Oh well, I'm not complaining about Mose.  Our interior OL is very, very talented!  I think Clements should be able to work with those guys.

The other guys... I 100% agree with you.  The only reason I cringe a little on those guys is due to the lack of depth behind the guys they were behind.
But the depth of the team is not the only dysfunctional part, and we all know that.   It's just another problem in the dumpster being consumed.  That's what I was referring to in my original post about it.   Not the laundry list of transfers.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The portal by itself is not the dumpster fire, it's just part of it.   The program's trajectory is the issue.  It's been downward for the past few years.  Multiple reasons, but they all fall at the feet of the head coach.  It happens in coaching cycles.  Just time for a new direction.  

• Upvote 3

I know that everyone is beaten right now, but again, look at the schedule ahead. This is as soft as we have EVER played.

@ UTEP--definitely winnable, they are not better than we are.

SMU--new coach, although their talent level is much higher than ours, but it's our Super Bowl, too.

TX Southern--FCS spare

@UNLV--see UTEP above

@ Memphis--this will be a colossal ass-kicking by the Tigers

FAU--usually talented, but we play them at Apogee where we are pretty good against CUSA teams

La Tech--new coach, usually talented, but we get at Apogee

@ UTSA--lost a ton of talent, but this is their Super Bowl and revenge is on their mind

@ WKU--this will be a loss, although I could see us squeaking one out if things fell right

FIU--they ae absolutely awful

@ UAB--ass kicking coming here, they usually dominate us at LOS on both sides of the ball, incredibly well-coached

Rice--last game, tough to lose on Senior Day

To me, I can see us getting 6 or more wins. I'm telling you all now, if SL gets 7 wins, he's getting his extension. The Lovelace's will throw in extra cash if it means he gets 3 or more years going forward. The administration knew that they couldn't fire SL last year once he got to 4 wins--they can't even imagine not having the Lovelace $$$ getting removed from here. No chance. But the Lovelace's also know that SL has to finish better than last year, too. And no way they let SL go into a make-it-or-break-it season in his final year of the contract, as recruiting will look like something a D-3 school would sign.

Again, SL is the luckiest SOB alive. Go into a season needing 7 wins and you play this schedule...amazing

• Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

28 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I know that everyone is beaten right now, but again, look at the schedule ahead. This is as soft as we have EVER played.

@ UTEP--definitely winnable, they are not better than we are.

SMU--new coach, although their talent level is much higher than ours, but it's our Super Bowl, too.

TX Southern--FCS spare

@UNLV--see UTEP above

@ Memphis--this will be a colossal ass-kicking by the Tigers

FAU--usually talented, but we play them at Apogee where we are pretty good against CUSA teams

La Tech--new coach, usually talented, but we get at Apogee

@ UTSA--lost a ton of talent, but this is their Super Bowl and revenge is on their mind

@ WKU--this will be a loss, although I could see us squeaking one out if things fell right

FIU--they ae absolutely awful

@ UAB--ass kicking coming here, they usually dominate us at LOS on both sides of the ball, incredibly well-coached

Rice--last game, tough to lose on Senior Day

To me, I can see us getting 6 or more wins. I'm telling you all now, if SL gets 7 wins, he's getting his extension. The Lovelace's will throw in extra cash if it means he gets 3 or more years going forward. The administration knew that they couldn't fire SL last year once he got to 4 wins--they can't even imagine not having the Lovelace $$$ getting removed from here. No chance. But the Lovelace's also know that SL has to finish better than last year, too. And no way they let SL go into a make-it-or-break-it season in his final year of the contract, as recruiting will look like something a D-3 school would sign.

Again, SL is the luckiest SOB alive. Go into a season needing 7 wins and you play this schedule...amazing

You guys saying UTEP is a win are going to be in for an unfortunate shock.  They have a lot of talent returning, and are on an upward trajectory.    Whereas it took NT a last-second, fantastic play by Detraveon Brown to secure the win at Apogee last year... this year, we have to go out to the Sun Bowl.   They're looking for revenge too.  This is a L.

And again, just because the nameplate at HC changed at SMU, doesn't mean it's going to be some kind of rebuild or philosophy shift.   Lashlee is the architect of the offense they run at SMU.  You know, the one that's been kicking NT's a** for the past few years?  This is most-definitely a L.

For me, if things go right, it's another 6-win season.  TXSo, UNLV, FAU, FIU, Rice, and one of LATech/WKU.   If NT happens to lose that UNLV game, look out.  This could be a 3-win season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Uh oh.    So what does that mean for this season?   We return the same RBs that couldn't move the ball against that juggernaut, Miami OH.    I don't believe the dropoff is that steep, but if it is, we're in serious trouble this year.

C'mon.    Everyone is talking about how amazingly deep the RB room is.    Are you saying that all of those dudes' success last year was predicated on Torrey being in front of them?   I don't buy it.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore/_/gameId/401391158
When you fully identify yourself (complete with a cute hashtag "#rUNThedamnball") as a Run-First team, and Austin Aune is your leading rusher for the game with 28 YDS!!, you have a problem.  And it ain't the RBs behind Torrey. 

You forgot one thing, Torrey was supposed to be a hybrid slot receiver last year. Our starting running back was supposed to be this young man who will be ready to go this fall.

https://m.facebook.com/ConferenceUSA/videos/oscar-adaway-rumbles-47-yards-to-the-endzone-for-another-mean-green-football-tou/4049916241789767/

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You forgot one thing, Torrey was supposed to be a hybrid slot receiver last year. Our starting running back was supposed to be this young man who will be ready to go this fall.

https://m.facebook.com/ConferenceUSA/videos/oscar-adaway-rumbles-47-yards-to-the-endzone-for-another-mean-green-football-tou/4049916241789767/

Mr. Adaway has a ton of promise, I agree.   But the injury bug has bit him pretty hard.   I don't want to heap a bunch of expectations on him right now.   He's gotta stay healthy first.
If he can be Jeff Wilson-lite, then that would be awesome, because in order to see the kind of success we should be demanding, he's gonna have to be.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mr. Adaway has a ton of promise, I agree.   But the injury bug has bit him pretty hard.   I don't want to heap a bunch of expectations on him right now.   He's gotta stay healthy first.
If he can be Jeff Wilson-lite, then that would be awesome, because in order to see the kind of success we should be demanding, he's gonna have to be.

The point was we are not only returning the same RBs that couldn't move the ball against that juggernaut, Miami OH”.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The point was we are not only returning the same RBs that couldn't move the ball against that juggernaut, Miami OH”.

I guess you're speaking to the thread title, right?  Adaway is going to be a contributor, or depth?  If so, I agree!  But it doesn't encourage me that we were unable to run the ball against Miami, OH... at all.

Or are you trying to say he's going to tear it up and be the difference-maker Torrey was?  Because, again, I don't think it's fair put those expectations on him right now, simply because we haven't seen it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I guess you're speaking to the thread title, right?  Adaway is going to be a contributor, or depth?  If so, I agree!  But it doesn't encourage me that we were unable to run the ball against Miami, OH... at all.

Or are you trying to say he's going to tear it up and be the difference-maker Torrey was?  Because, again, I don't think it's fair put those expectations on him right now, simply because we haven't seen it.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It was a direct response to the bolded statement above.

And I believe he has the tools to be the difference maker Torrey was (which you continue to deny mattered in the bowl game). Realistically I expect him to fall somewhere between a Patrick Cobbs and a Brandin Byrd.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

On 4/29/2022 at 9:55 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Yeah that’s why people are reacting the way they are, and why I posted this. The culture sucks here, on top of that.

Why do you think the culture sucks so bad here? Littrell? Assistant Coaches? Nepotism? Country Club culture? Just curious as you seem to in the know.

Edited by jtm0097