Depth is…

Becoming an issue it seems, even if these recent transfers haven’t contributed. 

2 deep at most positions isn’t gonna cut it, especially in the new conference. We’ve landed only a handful of transfers to accommodate for the large chunk of guys that have transferred or graduated. Only 2 positions on this team have decent amount of depth and it’s running back and WR, but WR has some guys that haven’t played a whole lot or is injured.

Not to mention each year we get a alarming amount of injuries during the season, and several guys who are already injured won’t be back for a while.

And half the guys who are left on the roster have a very small sample of experience or nothing at all. 

It’s worrying to me, and I’m still kind of baffled at how we have taken these steps back in the portal and recruiting. Not to mention the loss of McKenzie Morris, who was a huge piece in recruiting, is gone.

Ok back to regular schedule programming.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Littrell football still flying high. Shame the players see what our administration couldn’t 

Did anyone really believe losing do a crappy Miami of Ohio team in our own backyard was a good sign?  And spare me the fact DeAndre sitting out is why we lost.  I’ve never been so unenthusiastic about an upcoming football season.  Just feels like Wren and Dr. Smatresk mailed this one in.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

I know it's easy to put the blame on Littrell and the state of the program but every single school is losing players currently.  That is the current state of college sports regardless of the direction of the program.  We are pretty much right on par with schools like Bama, Georgia, LSU..do you think the players there see the writing on the wall too?

Granted, it's hurts us 10x more than these programs because they can replace those guys with anyone and we can't.  But blaming players leaving on the state of the program is just refusing to look at the big picture.

Those SEC schools don't have starters leaving like we do.   They lose bench warmers that want to play now.  Plus, our coach is on thin ice, players know that.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 4

Hey guys we beat UTSA last year though. Remember that, we beat a team checked out and afraid of the rain. We're going to be ok.

We got D3 DL transferring here and back ups from ACU. Everything will be ok. 

Our OL coach is going to coach up our QBs 

Our DL will get coached up by our DC's son in law.

Our OL will get coached up by the HCs buddy who got fired at his last job.

Nothing to see here folks. Tee it high and let it fly!

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1

29 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Did anyone really believe losing do a crappy Miami of Ohio team in our own backyard was a good sign?  And spare me the fact DeAndre sitting out is why we lost.  I’ve never been so unenthusiastic about an upcoming football season.  Just feels like Wren and Dr. Smatresk mailed this one in.

I can't spare you...DeAndre not playing was a major blow to the offense. Not to mention a couple of stupid defensive blunders by players who have since departed.

I do agree this coming season doesn't get me excited.

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Those SEC schools don't have starters leaving like we do.   They lose bench warmers that want to play now.  Plus, our coach is on thin ice, players know that.

Man you aren’t kidding.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jermaine-burton-transfers-to-alabama-ex-georgia-wr-continues-crimson-tides-dominant-transfer-portal-run/amp/

Big time bench warmer here.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, NT80 said:

I haven't looked at the numbers in depth like you apparently have, but I think it's extremely safe to assume that out of the 228 SEC transfers there are starters in there as well as players who are well above bench warmer status, or at least players they don't want to lose.

The most recent example I actually know of is Agiye Hall leaving Bama for Texas, he had 2 receptions for 50 yards in the national championship game and was the #45 player in the country in the '21 class..I'm sure they would have loved to have kept him around..

Every situation is unique, and it's just unrealistic to say any player leaving UNT= seeing the writing on the wall

20 players leave Bama= oh those are just angry bench warmers

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

42 minutes ago, NT80 said:

The only starters leaving are Brammer & the Murphys.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Totally agree. 

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Hey guys we beat UTSA last year though. Remember that, we beat a team checked out and afraid of the rain. We're going to be ok.

We got D3 DL transferring here and back ups from ACU. Everything will be ok. 

Our OL coach is going to coach up our QBs 

Our DL will get coached up by our DC's son in law.

Our OL will get coached up by the HCs buddy who got fired at his last job.

Nothing to see here folks. Tee it high and let it fly!

Agreed. Total clown show. I have not seen anything this off-season that gives me optimism about the upcoming season. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Wonder how season ticket sales are going? 

With Littrell still around, the NIL, transfer portal, inflation, campus wokeness and wars and rumors of wars. 

Not an ideal situation for promoting college football  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

We just had three DL’s that aren’t sniffing the two deep and have been passed by younger players or players that just hit campus. As noted above, we lost two starting DE’s that clearly didn’t click with  Bennett and are more about me than team and a starting OT that had graduated and chose to play elsewhere his senior year.  Maybe three starters if you add Stout in there and he was looking for some dawgs to ball out. The rest, with all due respect, were not contributing on Saturdays and were way down the depth chart. We haven’t lost near the players other schools have. 

• Upvote 5
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Players aren't stupid. They see the writing on the wall.

Our first few years in the AAC with a new coach might be rough until we get a more established roster

Agree.  The faster Wren puts out this dumpster fire and starts the rebuild, the better for the program.  

Should have happened after the Bowl flop!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

58 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Dumpster fires don't usually burn on one piece of small trash.   There's a lot going on in there.

Like bad coaching hires, inability to find a QB, questionable strength and conditioning program, bad recruiting etc. 

Players leaving is just another piece of the puzzle

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, NT93 said:

You guys who think this thing is a dumpster fire based on players entering the transfer portal are clearly not paying attention to college football as a whole.

You're right. No need to panic here. Things are absolutely rolling smoothly for this team, just because other teams are losing the same if not more than us. We are all just paranoid. 

We clearly don't have a lame duck head coach, questionable Strength and Conditioning program, a lack of quality recruits, no QB coach,  questionable starting QB's, a lack of depth, etc. 

Sorry for our paranoia. Glad to know other teams have the same issues as us. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, meangreenfaninno said:

Why is Wren sticking with this?

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

You're right. No need to panic here. Things are absolutely rolling smoothly for this team, just because other teams are losing the same if not more than us. We are all just paranoid. 

We clearly don't have a lame duck head coach, questionable Strength and Conditioning program, a lack of quality recruits, no QB coach,  questionable starting QB's, a lack of depth, etc. 

Sorry for our paranoia. Glad to know other teams have the same issues as us. 

Guys, Chill!    
We obviously turned the corner last year when we beat the tar out of UTSA.   If there was any fluke, it was the loss to Miami, OH in the bowl game.   I mean, how can we expect to beat those guys if we don't have Torrey?   Just unlucky there.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, NT80 said:

Agree.  The faster Wren puts out this dumpster fire and starts the rebuild, the better for the program.  

Should have happened after the Bowl flop!

What players are leaving that are creating this concern?  Compared to other programs, how would you rate our activity, both losing and gaining players, in the transfer portal?

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1