Mean Green Sign Transfer Big Sissoko

UNT MEN’S BASKETBALL: Mean Green Sign Transfer Big Sissoko

North Texas Signs 6-foot-9 Transfer From Dayton

For more information contact: Luke Della 510-725-2130, Luke.Della@unt.edu  

DENTON — The North Texas men's basketball team signed Moulaye Sissoko, a 6-foot-9 rising sophomore transfer from Dayton on Wednesday.

Moulaye played in 30 of the Flyers' 35 games last year averaging 7.0 minutes per game and 2.4 points and 2.0 rebounds per game. He scored a season-high 12 points in 13 minutes off the bench on Nov. 20 versus Austin Peay. He grabbed a season-high eight rebounds twice.

On Nov. 26 versus Kansas, Sissoko scored four points and had four rebounds — three offensive — in Dayton's 74-73 win over the eventual national champions.

Sissoko will join the back-to-back-to-back Conference USA champions with three years of eligibility remaining.

A native of the Republic of Mali, Sissoko moved to the United States at the age of 16. He played his prep basketball at Central Park Christian in Birmingham, Alabama and then Lincoln Academy in Suwanee, Georgia, where he graduated in 2019.

Sissoko sat out his first season at Dayton in 2019-20. He played in 14 games and averaged 1.4 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in 2020-21 as a redshirt freshman.

Over the last three seasons, Sissoko helped guide the Flyers to a combined 41-11 Atlantic 10 conference record and a 24-win season this past year and a 29-win season in 2019-20.

In addition to college, Sissoko has competed internationally for his home country of Mali in numerous events.

Sissoko’s Top Career Scoring Games

1.   12, vs. Austin Peay Nov. 20, 2021
2.    8, at Vanderbilt March 20, 2022

2.   8, at Toledo March 16, 2022

2.   8, vs. Alabama St. Dec. 1, 2021

5.   6, vs. Duquesne Feb. 9, 2022

• Upvote 2

Great article from John Fields at 247Sports.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Dayton-transfer-center-Moulaye-Sissoko-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-Green-186738728/

“North Texas has been recruiting me since high school,” Sissoko said. “Going through this process, as soon as I entered the portal they hit me. Since that day I knew they really wanted me. [...] That’s why I gave them the chance to go visit out there. As soon as I set foot on campus, it was all love.

When he took a visit to North Texas, Sissoko said he talked with returning players Abou Ousmane and Tylor Perry, each of whom he had a connection to. In Perry’s case, he played with one of Sissoko’s best friends in junior college who filled Sissoko in on what it was like to play with Perry. Ousmane’s family is from Senegal which borders Sissoko’s native Mali in western Africa.

“Before I even visited, I knew [Ousmane’s] family was from Senegal,” Sissoko said. “As soon as I got on campus, I would be looking around and asking him questions about his family, himself and everything he experienced. [...] Abou is a good human being.”

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Great article from John Fields at 247Sports.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Dayton-transfer-center-Moulaye-Sissoko-commits-to-North-Texas-Mean-Green-186738728/

“North Texas has been recruiting me since high school,” Sissoko said. “Going through this process, as soon as I entered the portal they hit me. Since that day I knew they really wanted me. [...] That’s why I gave them the chance to go visit out there. As soon as I set foot on campus, it was all love.

When he took a visit to North Texas, Sissoko said he talked with returning players Abou Ousmane and Tylor Perry, each of whom he had a connection to. In Perry’s case, he played with one of Sissoko’s best friends in junior college who filled Sissoko in on what it was like to play with Perry. Ousmane’s family is from Senegal which borders Sissoko’s native Mali in western Africa.

“Before I even visited, I knew [Ousmane’s] family was from Senegal,” Sissoko said. “As soon as I got on campus, I would be looking around and asking him questions about his family, himself and everything he experienced. [...] Abou is a good human being.”

Nice!
I, like most, assumed this was a Coach Moikobu connection, since he committed not long after we announced Moikobu's hire.    Nice to know it was because he was recruited here long before that!  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3