Trenton Ward enters portal

25 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Kalvin Hutchings entered the portal.

3 interior DLs (that's a very specific set of 3 players) enter the portal within 2 days of each other.    Some might think that would be a reflection of what they think of their coaches.   

We're also EXTREMELY YOUNG at those particular positions with Dayton LeBlanc being the lone Junior (no Seniors).

Interior DL is now officially a worry spot.   Heaven forbid something happen to Jackson or Brown next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

3 interior DLs (that's a very specific set of 3 players) enter the portal within 2 days of each other.    Some might think that would be a reflection of what they think of their coaches.   

We're also EXTREMELY YOUNG at those particular positions with Dayton LeBlanc being the lone Junior (no Seniors).

Interior DL is now officially a worry spot.   Heaven forbid something happen to Jackson or Brown next season.

Could also just say they see nothing but youth in front of them, in today's times guys don't want to sit and wait 2/3 years for another chance to be a starter or sit around thinking maybe someone will get hurt and I'll get my chance.  No need arguing about toughness and grinding it out, that's just how most players operate now that they can transfer for free. 

We signed 6 DT's in the 2021 class, I would have been more shocked if all 6 stayed in addition to what we already had on the roster once they learned their spot on the depth chart.  We now have Jackson/Brown/LeBlanc then Johnson/Vailea/Rausaw?...I agree we are now in desperate need of some depth but I'm not going to lose sleep that we lost our 7th, 8th and 9th DT.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

3 interior DL signed under a DC and Dline coach that were fired less than 1 month after they signed their letters of intent. 3 interior DL that fit the scheme and talent requirements of a pair so poor at their jobs they merited firing after a single season. Bennett and Passwaters are trimming the fat, nothing more.

If Rod Brown (who signed after Bennett and Passwaters were hired) enters the portal because of “what he thinks of the coaches”, I’ll jump off with you.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

3 interior DL signed under a DC and Dline coach were fired less than 1 month after they signed their letters of intent. 3 interior DL that fit the scheme and talent requirements of a pair so poor at their jobs they merited firing after a single season. Bennett and Passwaters are trimming the fat, nothing more.

If Rod Brown (who signed after Bennett and Passwaters were hired) enters the portal because of “what he thinks of the coaches”, I’ll jump off with you.

09.gif

Although, Brown is a definite starter, so the only reason he'd likely leave is to "upgrade"... like the Murphys.

Also, I'm sad to find out that Passwaters is unable to develop guys who were signed before he joined.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Also, I'm sad to find out that Passwaters is unable to develop guys who were signed before he joined.

I don’t know why you have such an axe to grind with him but his position group played well this past season. Players leave all the time when they don’t fit the schemes of a new staff. It has nothing to do with player development. You can cook a rotten egg but it’ll still taste and smell rotten. Our new DC and Dline coach are looking for fresh eggs like Rod Brown.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, UNT18Grad said:

Could also just say they see nothing but youth in front of them, in today's times guys don't want to sit and wait 2/3 years for another chance to be a starter or sit around thinking maybe someone will get hurt and I'll get my chance.  No need arguing about toughness and grinding it out, that's just how most players operate now that they can transfer for free. 

We signed 6 DT's in the 2021 class, I would have been more shocked if all 6 stayed in addition to what we already had on the roster once they learned their spot on the depth chart.  We now have Jackson/Brown/LeBlanc then Johnson/Vailea/Rausaw?...I agree we are now in desperate need of some depth but I'm not going to lose sleep that we lost our 7th, 8th and 9th DT.

And I remember reading that PB is either switching to a 3 man front, or using more 3 man fronts. That would likely lead to less playing time to go around.  
I wasn’t a huge fan of the 3 man front when we ran it in the past, but maybe PB will know how to make it work?

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t know why you have such an axe to grind with him but his position group played well this past season. Players leave all the time when they don’t fit the schemes of a new staff. It has nothing to do with player development. You can cook a rotten egg but it’ll still taste and smell rotten. Our new DC and Dline coach are looking for fresh eggs like Rod Brown.

Thank you. MGT has been blasting Passwaters since the beginning. Never gives him credit but blames him for anything that goes wrong.

• Upvote 5
  • RV 2
  • Downvote 1

On 4/28/2022 at 3:21 PM, UNT18Grad said:

Depth beyond a guy that may not start but that is in the rotation and gets a few snaps a game is a luxury most G5 programs don’t have.   I far more concerned with the starters and how talented they might be.   A good sign would be these departing players get scholarships at other FBS programs.  If more than half of them don’t play at this level again it could be a sign of a bad season to come.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2022 at 3:32 AM, El Paso Eagle said:

Thank you. MGT has been blasting Passwaters since the beginning. Never gives him credit but blames him for anything that goes wrong.

Count me in the anti-Passwaters camp but in this case, I think after spring camp these players were not in the top3 rotation at the position. If that’s the case then they likely talked to the coaches and entered the portal. Lot of guys competing for 2 spots. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Count me in the anti-Passwaters camp but in this case, I think after spring camp these players were not in the top3 rotation at the position. If that’s the case then they likely talked to the coaches and entered the portal. Lot of guys competing for 2 spots. 

Not an issue one with anyone who questioned the hire. MY opinion though is if you are going to blames the man for everything that does not go right, be willing to also credit him for the positives.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not an issue one with anyone who questioned the hire. MY opinion though is if you are going to blames the man for everything that does not go right, be willing to also credit him for the positives.

I might get in board when he recruits and develops talent. The most successful guys last year were experienced proven starters. So this year will be a better barometer of his abilities with no Novil or Murphys. 

1 minute ago, 97and03 said:

I might get in board when he recruits and develops talent. The most successful guys last year were experienced proven starters. So this year will be a better barometer of his abilities with no Novil or Murphys. 

It's nice when dudes like Enoch Jackson and Rod Brown fall into your lap though.  These are talented guys & proved it early on. 

We'll see about Treib.  He may need some coaching to catch up to FBS-speed.  I think he'll be a good barometer of Passwaters' coaching abilities.   If we see Treib start slowly, then get better though the year, then props to Passwaters.

As for last year, Colvin was also a major force inside that often gets overlooked because of how dominant Novil was.  Losing him hurts as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

https://meangreensports.com/sports/football/roster/roderick-brown/5503

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's nice when dudes like Enoch Jackson and Rod Brown fall into your lap though.  These are talented guys & proved it early on. 

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

If we give credit for Rod do we assign blame for the ones he couldn’t retain? 
It’s too early to assess him. 

Let us be clear here, Enoch Jackson and Rod Brown signed under Bennett and Passwaters.

The three transferring, signed under Bowen and Mathies right before they were both fired. 

Maybe, just maybe, Bennett and Passwaters have a better eye for talent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There is no way I'm giving Passwaters any credit for "developing" a rockstar true freshman who leapfrogged all of these departing guys during Fall practice after he'd barely met coach Passwaters.   Nope.

The comment was that he would get on board when  Passwaters recruited and developed players.  Brown signed after Bennett and Passwaters arrived and played under him last year.  You mentioned he "fell in their lap", but I am not sure how you arrived at this.

• Upvote 1